Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #61
ForeverYoung
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATED: @!*(%$@ I'm infected with spyware/malware again.....anyone else?

For what it's worth guys, this is not just a DS specific related problem. Yes, I was redirected from DS several times, and I saw cloned banner and side ads on DS...but NOT ONLY DS was giving me this issue. That is the only point I am making here. For instance, I saw similar p orn related banner ads onThe Weather Channel website, etc. The worm I had attempting to drive me crazy is one that would redirect me, and change reality...it would change what I saw.

In my case, it was a router issue, allowing a DNS changer trojen in. Once the DNS changer trojen had access via my router, it wreaked all sorts of havoc. I would be redirected to sometimes harmful websites, see p ornographic related banner ads (not just on DS, but many websites), very slow operation, etc. This was because I made mistakes with the admin of my router. Unscrupulous (spl?) people from clear across the world were able to not so much gain access to my computer, but to redirect me against my will, so to speak.

I could go in and manually fix the affected registry keys...but, no matter how many times I did this, BECAUSE MY ROUTER WAS AT FAULT, it would KEEP on happening - time and time again!

The moral to m y story - don't be so quick to blame DS for the problem. Their site may be more vulnerable due to the banner ads, and other advertising, but this site is not the root of your problems. Your computer (or router) is the cause, so to speak. The security, or lack therof, allows malicious content to attack your comptuer. If you are properly protected, the problem (on DS or ANY other website) will cease to exist. Take steps to protect your router and computer (also, remove any current pests), and you will be able to avoid this problem.

For me, I had to take very simple steps to protect my router....so as to not allow unwanted third parties access to it. Frustrating, and it took MANY weeks of troubleshooting to figure out that it wasn't any certain program, and that UNTIL MY ROUTER WAS PROTECTED, NO amount of programs, removal tools, paid/or free virus programs, etc would do ANY good whatsoever.

I was not able to go to any sites to download the malware fixes, as if it was a reputable program, these trojens were doing their jobs, and not allowing me to even visit those "fix" sites, malware/antivirus sites, etc. I coudl not do a Microsoft update...and the list of my woes goes on. But now, these errors have been fixed. I have protected my router, updated my varied protection software, scanned for problems, viruses, malware, etc., and for two days now, I am problem free! This may not seem like a long time to any of you, BUT it IS to me, when I dealt with this on a DAILY basis before, and now it is gone.

I have had avast pop up and tell me it stopped malware twice now since this has been fixed. So, as a protection plan, I'd also suggest this. I have a billion suggestions to fix a myriad of problems, I swear.

Sorry for the long winded rambling reply. I will step down off my soap box, and ask you all - take the steps to protect your router and computer - before jumping on the "DS caused all my problems" bandwagon. Again, as it was in my case, DS is not the only website to be at fault. It is a nice one for unscrupulous (spl?) people to search for their prey (people like me, who were not protected) to attack...there are mamy members here. The INTERNET (Not DS alone) that is the gateway to your router and/or computer, and is to be blamed. Okay, I really will stop now.

Advertisement

Last edited by ForeverYoung; 06-29-2009 at 09:56 PM.
ForeverYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #62
LilMamaK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
Sorry for the long winded rambling reply. I will step down off my soap box, and ask you all - take the steps to protect your router and computer - before jumping on the "DS caused all my problems" bandwagon. Again, as it was in my case, DS is not the only website to be at fault. It is a nice one for unscrupulous (spl?) people to search for their prey (people like me, who were not protected) to attack...there are mamy members here. The INTERNET (Not DS alone) that is the gateway to your router and/or computer, and is to be blamed. Okay, I really will stop now.
so, besides having pw protected wireless connection, what "steps" should be taken? (kinda techno-slow here......)
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #63
ForeverYoung
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamaK View Post
so, besides having pw protected wireless connection, what "steps" should be taken? (kinda techno-slow here......)
Oh goodness, I do need to write that tutorial I was thinking about. Problem is, each and every router - and each computer, etc. is different. You need to definitely ensure it is password protected, and not with the generic one the router came with. Also, depending on your router, there are DNS values that (if you have a redirecter) need changing. In my case, once I disallowed the intruder(s), and changed the gateway they were sending me to, removed any spyware/malware/viruses that had been let in as a result of the aforementioned problem, well, I am a MUCH happier camper.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #64
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

our computer is infected too....can someone do me a huge favor...anyone? i am not going to sign onto diaperswappers until this is all figured out....i will look into getting my router protected, getting this worm gone (reconfiguring harddrive or buying a new computer, whatever i need to do) and getting AVAST....if i can avoid this in the future by becoming a site supporter, i might come back to DS, but until it's all figured out, i won't....can someone send me a PM letting me know when they figure out all that needs to be done and when this is fixed? (i'll get a notification in my email so i can check it without logging on) please please please!!!....i have stuff that needs sellin! but i can't be affording a new computer like this

Last edited by harmoni247; 06-29-2009 at 11:29 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #65
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a site supporter and just had to replace my entire hard drive due to this. So it's not just the non-site supporters
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #66
Mommyk8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
For what it's worth guys, this is not just a DS specific related problem. Yes, I was redirected from DS several times, and I saw cloned banner and side ads on DS...but NOT ONLY DS was giving me this issue. That is the only point I am making here. For instance, I saw similar p orn related banner ads onThe Weather Channel website, etc. The worm I had attempting to drive me crazy is one that would redirect me, and change reality...it would change what I saw.

In my case, it was a router issue, allowing a DNS changer trojen in. Once the DNS changer trojen had access via my router, it wreaked all sorts of havoc. I would be redirected to sometimes harmful websites, see p ornographic related banner ads (not just on DS, but many websites), very slow operation, etc. This was because I made mistakes with the admin of my router. Unscrupulous (spl?) people from clear across the world were able to not so much gain access to my computer, but to redirect me against my will, so to speak.

I could go in and manually fix the affected registry keys...but, no matter how many times I did this, BECAUSE MY ROUTER WAS AT FAULT, it would KEEP on happening - time and time again!

The moral to m y story - don't be so quick to blame DS for the problem. Their site may be more vulnerable due to the banner ads, and other advertising, but this site is not the root of your problems. Your computer (or router) is the cause, so to speak. The security, or lack therof, allows malicious content to attack your comptuer. If you are properly protected, the problem (on DS or ANY other website) will cease to exist. Take steps to protect your router and computer (also, remove any current pests), and you will be able to avoid this problem.

For me, I had to take very simple steps to protect my router....so as to not allow unwanted third parties access to it. Frustrating, and it took MANY weeks of troubleshooting to figure out that it wasn't any certain program, and that UNTIL MY ROUTER WAS PROTECTED, NO amount of programs, removal tools, paid/or free virus programs, etc would do ANY good whatsoever.

I was not able to go to any sites to download the malware fixes, as if it was a reputable program, these trojens were doing their jobs, and not allowing me to even visit those "fix" sites, malware/antivirus sites, etc. I coudl not do a Microsoft update...and the list of my woes goes on. But now, these errors have been fixed. I have protected my router, updated my varied protection software, scanned for problems, viruses, malware, etc., and for two days now, I am problem free! This may not seem like a long time to any of you, BUT it IS to me, when I dealt with this on a DAILY basis before, and now it is gone.

I have had avast pop up and tell me it stopped malware twice now since this has been fixed. So, as a protection plan, I'd also suggest this. I have a billion suggestions to fix a myriad of problems, I swear.

Well I was on my work computer when it got hit with virus trying to load and it has a ton of firewalls, virus protection etc. Running firefox seems to have stopped them from trying to load at the moment.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #67
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

IE keeps asking me if I want to redirect away from the page and even though I click cancel- it takes me to another page- the last one was a marathon (I think) gas ad and I can't hit the back button- the only way to get away from the page is to put something else in the address bar and click go.
My computer randomly starts playing music- I'm assuming from ads and the only way to get it to stop is to close the DS window.
I think this is all ad related- DS has become so crazy overrun with ads and that's when all these problems started getting really bad. I had a window freeze up last night with DS on it and I had to manually shut off my computer.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #68
liljes4101
Registered Users

My Mood:

It tried to redirect me last night, but I managed to close down the window, cut off internet, and scan the netbook in time. My three programs found nothing. For what it's worth, I have also been getting warnings away from DS. The firewall always pops up from blocking something even from Yahoo. I have Firefox, SuperAntiSpyware, Avira, and Zone Alarm.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #69
chelleym
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I have recently dealt with (AND KILLED IT FINALLY) these very issues! Dealt with them REPEATEDLY for weeks!!!! (Just ask poor Juan M who I went back and forth brainstorming the possible fixes...NOTHING was working!!!)

Tell me, before I go on....who here is using a router? What brand? I seriously may have a fix for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PailPowder View Post
I got the blue screen that said my computer was infected as well. I had to boot up in Safe Mode, spend 3 hours saving all my pics to disks (bought a flash drive the next day) b/c I didn't know how bad it was going to be, and then downloaded Avast! and that is running.
Is anyone here a Site Supporter and having problems? I know one said they never had problems, but honestly that's crappy It feels like we will be forced to pay to use this site to protect our computers??? Most people come here looking for ways to save money....this has been going on entirely too long
I'm using the router from Verizion Fios and it has it's very own password. Previously I was using a Comcast modem and my own router that I changed and then forgot the password to. So for sure you do need a unique password on your router, not just admin that it comes with.

I had just noticed that all who posted were non-paying members. I see one paid member has posted about trouble. But it only makes sense that with seeing less ads you would have less possible trouble.

Insanity is hereditary - you can get it from your children. - Sam Levenson
chelleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #70
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

forever young....i'm very computer dumb can you explain whether i would have a router or not...i know i have a modem, but a router? is that for wireless or multiple computers? i have one laptop hooked up to a modem (not wireless) from at&t...i haven't done anything with securing it or passwords or whatnot....i will likely get the restoration from macafee but what do i need to do to my modem if anything???
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote