Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm tired of being blamed!

My ds is 11 months old and refuses anything but the breast. I was not overly worried about this but he recently got a horrible double ear infection that required antibiotics. We could not get him to take a DROP of the medicine. I am pretty sure that everone thinks we are exagerating when we say he refuses to take anything!

Anyway... Presumably since he got none of the medication he needed for his ears, his ear drum exploded !!! Then the Dr gave him I.V. antibiotics and now his ears are all cleared up.

Now everyone keeps saying things like "If you had tried feeding him earlier that wouldn't have happened" (I did try to feed him babyfood twice a day from 4 months to 8 months), or "Why don't you just make him eat?" (because he wont!), and my personal favorite "If you had given him formula in a bottle this would not be happening"

Has anyone else had a baby that refused EVERYTHING but the breast past a year?

Looking for advice, support, and someone who doesn't see this as my fault.

Advertisement

and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm tired of being blamed!

he seems determined if you ask me. A very positive trait!! I am sorry people need to find someone to blame. DD was only four months and wouldn't take anything either we had to give her a shot of abx in the hosp once.. SS mama and sorry everyone is getting on your case! My dd really only likes finger foods shewon't let us feed her baby food and didn't take a bottle for anything
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Awwww, I haven't had experience with a baby who refused anything past a year, but I don't think it is your fault!

My 3 month old refuses bottles and people tell me that if she is hungry enough she will take one. That just makes her more frantic! We finally did find one she will take, but it's really not worth the trouble so I just prefer to breastfeed her unless I just HAVE to leave her.

If you hadn't breastfed him this long, who knows, he may have ended up with MORE ear infections or illnesses, and then people would be saying "if only you breastfed him..." blah blah. That sucks that they are blaming you, but your the mama and you are trying your best. It is easy to see things in hindsight.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

Aww poor baby doctors need to listen to parents more, I bet they could have given him a shot of antibiotics or the IV antibiotics BEFORE his ear drum ruptured.. if mom says the child won't take anything by mouth listen to them! Sorry you and and your son had to go through that.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Exactly what Mandy said. Breastfeeding is the best thing you could have done for him; who knows how many God-awful ear infections he may have come down with if he didn't have Mama's milk to keep him healthy? It's hindsight, but did you try putting breast milk into his ear before it exploded? It does work wonders for a normal ear infection (I don't know how bad it was...) It might be something worth trying if you're ever faced w/ this situation again (HOPEFULLY NOT!!!) I don't think it's your fault. It's never right to starve a baby so he will eat what YOU want him to eat, yk? If anyone else says anything like that, you can simply respond w/ "um... pretty sure you can be arrested for neglect for starving a child..."
Old 06-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadoon View Post
Exactly what Mandy said. Breastfeeding is the best thing you could have done for him; who knows how many God-awful ear infections he may have come down with if he didn't have Mama's milk to keep him healthy? It's hindsight, but did you try putting breast milk into his ear before it exploded? It does work wonders for a normal ear infection (I don't know how bad it was...) It might be something worth trying if you're ever faced w/ this situation again (HOPEFULLY NOT!!!) I don't think it's your fault. It's never right to starve a baby so he will eat what YOU want him to eat, yk? If anyone else says anything like that, you can simply respond w/ "um... pretty sure you can be arrested for neglect for starving a child..."
I've never heard of using bm to treat ear infections but it makes so much sense sense it works so well to treat sore/infected nipples! If he ever gets one again I will have to try that!

Thanks so much for all your kind words Mamas!! It's nice to know that not everyone thinks I'm doing something wrong!
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats insane, you can't make a kid eat something if he doesn't want to. i must have a piglet, he loves *everything* breast bottles gripe water fingers
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Next time your DS gets an ear infection, consider trying the chiropractor. After two rounds of antibiotics (DS loved the first one, hated the second one) I refused to spend anymore money on the doc and prescrips. We went to the Chiropractor and his infection cleared in no time and we didn't have to fight DS at all. Sorry not the advice you were looking for, but just thought I would mention it
Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
bluemerle
Registered Users
seller

My DD didn't go that long, but she was refusing bottles of BM until she was about 6 months old (I had to go back to work when she was 3 months old, I only work about 6 hours each on Saturdays and Sundays). So when I was gone she would hold out until I got back. Yikes.

It's not your fault! I know how stressful it can be when they don't want anything but you.