Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #2251
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: April 2009 DDC Mamas and Cutie Pies Chat Thread *Pic Heavy*

Not too much of the tantrums, or at least we seem to not notice.

Tristan's response is no to most questions, but he doesn't yell it or anything. It is more matter of fact. So then we say "You say 'Yes!'" and then he says "Yesh!" with a toothy grin. Very fun.

He is definitely a bugger. I just get all gooshy inside when I think about him when I am at work.

Teething has been horrendous for us.... I think the top canines are just about in. Anyone else having teething issues?!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #2252
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Not too much of the tantrums, or at least we seem to not notice.

Tristan's response is no to most questions, but he doesn't yell it or anything. It is more matter of fact. So then we say "You say 'Yes!'" and then he says "Yesh!" with a toothy grin. Very fun.

He is definitely a bugger. I just get all gooshy inside when I think about him when I am at work.

Teething has been horrendous for us.... I think the top canines are just about in. Anyone else having teething issues?!
No teething issues here....just waiting for him to get his 2 year molars so he can be done.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2253
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We took the crib mattress out and put it on the floor, just to try it out. Tristan has been sleeping pretty well, which has surprised me. Only one instance where he escaped to play with his truck, and then another 4am crying "why is it dark in the living room and what is going on??" I said it was night-night time and tucked him back in w/o incident. Teeth are still bothering, but that was about the same as before we moved the mattress.

We'll be moving him to a single bed in Alyssa's room, no later than end of June. We want to make sure they get used to sharing a room before Alyssa starts kindergarten and the new baby comes end of Sept. Lots of changes for this family coming up. I think it will be a little stressful, but we will try to mitigate those as best we can by preparing the kids, etc.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #2254
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
I had my first Ob appt last wk. Just 1 baby thank goodness. Due date is Oct 11, but since she had to do a classical incision last time w the csection, she says I can't have any contractions due to high risk of rupture. I knew that going into it,though. She is going to test the lung development at 37 wks and will do the surgery next day pending good results. So I have a date of Sept 21!
There are other members of our due date club that do not post here that are pregnant or just had babies as well. I see their posts on facebook.

Nancy,

Do you have a history of early contractions? 37 weeks is not really full term, many 37 weekers will behave prematurely, but many doctors will insist they are full term. I guess I am not advising you not to have a c section at 37 weeks because you have a reason to avoid contractions, but I would spend time researching caring for a premature baby just to be prepared.

My son was born at 37 weeks. Even though I had questions about his lack of fat, temp and sleepiness, they sent us home with our full term baby with no extra instructions for caring for an undercooked baby. At ten days old, he was admitted to the picu because he couldn't maintain body heat and wasn't eating enough. We were told then that while many 37 weekers do just fine, many others will behave like premature babies and require extra care. At his two week appt, his ped told us, he thought our ultrasound dating had been wrong and that he was a born more at 35-36 weeks than 37 weeks. My ob was upset over her dating being questioned, but the reality is that if you are using an ultrasound to determine due date, it can be off, although the earlier the better accuracy.

Even true full term babies can have problems and my niece was born 6 weeks early weighing 3lbs, 3oz and not a single health concern. So in all reality, I am not trying to push my concerns on you or cause worry, I just wanted to mention my experience with a 37 weeker. My second niece was born at 37 weeks and has had weight gain issues common with preemies, however she is healthy and bottle feeds breastmilk and since the most common issues with 37 weekers is breastfeeding issues, my sister avoided supply issues by exclusively pumping. My nephew was also born at 37 weeks and did not behave prematurely at all.

I am not one of those people who insist we challenge our doctors, I just know some doctors don't offer all the information available. I am positive your doctor has your health and your baby's heath in mind, I just wanted to mention it so that if when your baby is born, you have similar concerns that I did about his newborn behavior, you might push the issue more than I did. Had I been given care instructions for a healthy preemie, we probably could have avoided the nicu stage. I was nursing on demand like the books say, lol, however, preemie babys need to eat more often than reg babies and they won't ask.

Sorry, I really hope I am sounding informational and not pushy. I really do not try and give medical advise, because I am not a dr,
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #2255
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No- I appreciate your story. I too had apprehensions when she said 37 weeks. Besides my OB, I have enrolled in a "Future Footsteps" maternity program through my company's insurance. It is an open forum type informational resource, and I plan on this being my main topic. I am at 18 weeks tomorrow, which means I have about 3 good months to get lots of data and really understand the implications. The only competing thought I have is that I really would like the surgery to be planned- if I were to go into labor between the 37 and 38 week mark, I would have to have the surgery done more emergency style and by whomever is on call at that time, and I would really prefer to have control over that. Tristan was born at 38 weeks 3 days, so interpolating from that, I may be a little close to the actual labor day...

She said she would do a test at 37 weeks, 0 days for steroid level that is released by the lungs when they mature. If it is above the acceptable level, they would do the surgery the next day, otherwise they would wait until next week. What I really want is details of the test- what the trend behaves like (is it like a endpoint curve, where there is a sudden no to yes distinction??) and then acceptable level, etc.

So I appreciate your story. It just confirms my earlier hesitation that I need to get more info
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #2256
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were up at my brother's house in Duluth for my neice's birthday. Tristan was eating his breakfast when he said "uh oh! here comes the dog!" (dog wanted any scraps that happened to fall).

It is so wonderful the feeling that he is now starting to communicate in full thoughts! This is just within the last month. I know a lot of moms on here have worried that their LOs language development has seemed slow, but it truely is a time when it just goes from nothing to lots of words!!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #2257
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Cate is starting to do this too, Nancy. she'll speak very clearly and is able to articulate herself so much better. she will repeat everything you say, so i'll say like "mommy is going to the kitchen and i'll be right back" she'll say "mommy go to kitchen, okay." or i'll give her instructions "go put this away." she'll say "oh! cate put toy away!" it's great.

i'm getting really excited for a BABY BOY to come along. i'm going to start getting a lot more doll accessories for Cate that way while i'm dealing with the baby she can feed/clothe/change her doll. she's such a good little helper and nuture-er!

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #2258
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay for baby boy!

How is everyone doing?
Updates?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #2259
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

A boy, how exciting! We are well here. enjoying the lilacs and spring weather and finally getting out of the house!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #2260
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

We're doing good. I'm not feeling nauseous very often these days, and I had my 1st midwife appt. Got to hear the heartbeat, and I"m measuring a bit big, but they said that's common when it's kid #3 and beyond. Owen has turned into quite the little chatterbox, just like big bro. I feel like there's an echo in my house, because he repeats EVERYTHING Garrett says. But it's cute.

Yesterday, Owen took his first poop on the big potty! Everyone was very excited. He's been peeing in the potty reliably if his diaper's off. I'm thinking next week we might just hang around the house with no pants (for Owen anyway ) and see if I can expedite that process, because I think he's ready. Garrett was using the potty all the time, sans naps and nighttime by 27 months. I don't know if Owen's there yet, but only one way to find out. I think he is, though.