Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
rawmamanibbles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ecing a one yr old?

Has anyone started ecing with a one year old?
I had started ecing at 2 months, only for a couple of months then stopped now a year later im wanting to start back but he's so diaper trained - how do i do this? anyone???

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
rawmamanibbles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ecing a one yr old?

has nobody started the ec a one year old?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I never read about ecing until after I started working with my daughter. I would set her on the toilet before we got in the tub (i thought the running water sound might encourage her to go) and bought her a potty seat. She loved sitting on it. When I would see her filling up her diaper I would rush her to the bathroom. By 18 months old she started taking my hand and taking me into the bathroom. By 2 years she was trained except the occassional accident or having too much fun to stop to go to the bathroom.
hezdwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started around 9 months with DD. Just the same way you would a younger baby. Watch for cues, take baby to potty on timing and on cue, make your cue sound, and relax relax relax. With a 1 yo you want a small potty or toilet seat ring for sure. if your lo can pull pants up and down, you might consider some kind of trainers too.
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
tranquilseeker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first EC'd at 14 months. All it took was bringing out the potty. I'm all about letting them follow their curiosity. My second trained himself at 16 1/2 months when he said, Mommy, NO MORE DIAPERS!!!!... and no accidents since then. My third is 15 months and I'm gearing up to bring the potty up from the basement in a couple weeks here. He's very interested in watching his older brothers use the big potty so we might even bypass the little one. We'll see.

Don't worry about it, it'll happen mama. When they are interested, they learn.
tranquilseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
melimeli
Registered Users

I'm so happy you posted. I am starting TODAY to ec my 13 month old. I didnt know about EC until early this morning when I found this board.

So far he is terrified of both the little potty and big potty and he has only pottied in his gdiaper all day.

I need something to help him love the potty. Today I have tried being calm and sweet "potty" "pee pee" "pppsss" and I have tried being super silly, singing.....
melimeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimeli View Post
I'm so happy you posted. I am starting TODAY to ec my 13 month old. I didnt know about EC until early this morning when I found this board.

So far he is terrified of both the little potty and big potty and he has only pottied in his gdiaper all day.

I need something to help him love the potty. Today I have tried being calm and sweet "potty" "pee pee" "pppsss" and I have tried being super silly, singing.....
You could try letting him pee in the grass or in a bucket or pail. Sometimes they think its fun at least it helps them start with the idea of going. My nephew loved that! You could put the lid down on both pottys and just hang out in there for a bit see if you can get him to sit on the seat like that..conquer the fear before he's dangling above a hole. Some people take books etc. in the bathroom to make it fun...not overly so because they know you're trying to talk them into something. GL
hezdwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well EC stands for Elimination Communication. So the point is not to get them to go in the potty. It is to communicate better about what is happening with their body. So if they are going in their diaper, just aknowledge it, and talk through it. "I see you're going pee/poo" "Now we are going to change your diaper so that you stay clean" "Someday you can put your pee in the big potty" Ect
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
newMama9.08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is in daycare, so I know that she can't use her cues until she moves into the toddlers room (where there's a potty). She's 10.5 months, and I just got a book and DVD, but wondered if you mamas have any suggestions, given that she gets home from daycare at 5:30 and is in bed by 6:30 and then she wakes up at 6:30 and is at daycare by 7:45. I don't have a whole lot of time that I'm with her, but I do want to at least start teaching her that she has options... Ideas?
newMama9.08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
isaacsmum
Registered Users

When was your DD born? My son was born 9-11-08, and we've been doing some EC, even though DH and I both work full time, so he is in daycare. I just try to watch for his cues in the morning and evening, and we spend a lot of diaper-free time at home on the weekends. He pretty consistently uses the potty after naps and breastfeeds. On good days, we'll have mostly catches at home, but even now it is getting more difficult as he's more interested in walking than the potty. When I drop him off at daycare I talk to him about going potty in his diaper instead - I have no idea if this means anything to him, but I'd heard it suggested before. But I do think that he's starting to get the idea of the potty - our DCP let us know a few weeks ago that Isaac tries to climb up on the changing table in the room as soon as he needs a new diaper.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote