Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
heidip2p
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
6.5 weeks and still struggling

Quinton just turned 6 weeks on Friday and we are still having such a hard time nursing. I am so spent. I am really drained and not sure what else to do. I want so badly to nurse him but I have 5 other kiddos that need me during the day too. Here are the highlights.
This is the first baby I nursed from the very start.
We had a very shallow latch for the first 4 weeks. I ended up with a small sore on the left side and very large one on the right. The right side hurt so bad to nurse on it was awful.
I went and saw an LC and she helped me a ton with the latch. The pain seemed to get better. That was 2 weeks ago.
I still cannot get the right side to heal at all. It will start to close and then pop open as soon as he latches on. The pain is very intense for the first minute or so and then subsides somewhat.
The left side is totally healed but now he is sucking so hard that I am getting the white line across my nipple when he comes off. I looked up on kellymom.com and I am pretty sure it is nipple blanching.
I talked to my LC and she thinks I need a nipple shield for the right side to heal. She also thinks I may have a low milk supply. He is gaining weight which is good.
Some days I feel like I have enough milk for him and other days my boobs feel nearly empty after 3 hours between feedings. Starting today I am pumping after every feeding. But now I feel even more empty when he is ready to eat.

Is there anything else I can do or try? I am so at a loss of what to do.

Advertisement

heidip2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 6.5 weeks and still struggling

I'm so sorry for your pain! Keep at it though, mama, it's worth it. It took DS and I about 10 weeks to get BF down, and I still have a lot of pain on one side. Do you have a pump? If you do, I recommend allowing the right side to heal fully and just pumping on that side, but still feeding on the other. I had to do that for my left side when DS was about 5 weeks, and it healed pretty quickly when it wasn't getting munched to death. I probably pumped for about a day before it felt good enough to put him back on it. If you haven't already, contact your local LLL leader and find out if she can help you too. Good luck!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
heidip2p
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
I probably pumped for about a day before it felt good enough to put him back on it.
It can get really get that much better within a day? I was thinking I would have to go a few weeks or so before it would heal if I only pumped that side.

I have a Lactina pump that I am using.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidip2p View Post
It can get really get that much better within a day? I was thinking I would have to go a few weeks or so before it would heal if I only pumped that side.

I didn't have blisters, so it will probably take you longer. I don't think it should take weeks though, but maybe a few days. I had blanching and cracks, and while it probably wasn't 100% healed within 24 hours, it really did feel soooo much better.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
tofufoofoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama...

I didn't read PPs so forgive me if I repeat any advice. Oh my goodness your story sounds so much like mine. Right side is not yet healed, still use a shield on that side/pump on that side to speed healing. DD is 10 weeks today and I have had severe nipple fissure issues since our first latch. I can't even tell you what helped heal my left side completely because I tried *EVERYTHING* (it is still SUPER sore). I do believe that sleeping topless and getting air to the wound very often was the main thing. I still have "pinched" and blanched nipples when DD comes off. I just can not get our latch deeper... DD may have high palate from what my IBCLC says.

Do not beat yourself up Mama. What a precious gift you have given your LO. Hang in there if you can and give yourself credit and zero guilt if you need a break. If you ever want to vent or if you want to know more details of what worked for me/what didn't work feel free to PM me. I will say despite all of its downsides the shield worked wonders for me as far as healing goes. I can not believe how familiar our experience is. It does get better because it has gotten so much better for me since DD was just 6 weeks. Nothing is perfect at all yet, FAR from it and I am still in so much pain. But seeing the improvements that surface every week keep me curious to see what positive changes happen next.

best of luck mama

Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
tofufoofoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
I didn't have blisters, so it will probably take you longer. I don't think it should take weeks though, but maybe a few days. I had blanching and cracks, and while it probably wasn't 100% healed within 24 hours, it really did feel soooo much better.
I had deep nipple fissures from day one of DD's life and the right side is still cut open a bit and my left side just healed when DD turned 9 wks. I pumped exclusively for 2.5 weeks (Well I nursed DD maybe 3x during that week) and it really gave my nipples a rest but that was NOT what healed my nipples finally. I am almost positive that it helped (def. helped my mental health I'll say that much!)~ I used a PIS backpack btw.

Maybe make sure there is no infection present: pretty sure that is why it took me so long to heal.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hugs mama. A friend of mine experienced something nearly identical to what you described while BFing her 4th. It was exhausting and very painful for her as it is for you. She had bilateral sores so she had to exclusively pump until full healing which took 3 weeks on one side and the second took 5 weeks!! She was discouraged but determined. Her LO was under 10 weeks during all that. I wanted to tell you she was able to nurse him on the healed side after the 3 weeks and pumped the sore side for the next 2 weeks. Your LO can get enough milk on one side at such a young age. The best part is John is now 10 months and has nursed exclusively since 10 weeks! You can do it mama.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
motherculture
Registered Users
seller

I feel for you mama you have a challenge with his latch and that is so hard.
My 3rd son was simmilar and the crack was so painfull. Can you give the healing nipple a bit of time off while it heals at least part of the day and use the pump? Also do you have a good calendula nipple cream - and use it everytime with a nice wool or organic cotton pad.
Just breath deep and play some nice soothing music spray some lavender mist in the air and make the time really perfect for you two. Make sure you get teh nipple far into the mouth by pushing down on his chin a bit and having him stick out his tounge.
This too shall pass and just know that you are doing all you can. At least he is gaining that is a wonderful sign in your struggle.
motherculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
heidip2p
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufoofoo View Post
Oh mama...

I didn't read PPs so forgive me if I repeat any advice. Oh my goodness your story sounds so much like mine. Right side is not yet healed, still use a shield on that side/pump on that side to speed healing. DD is 10 weeks today and I have had severe nipple fissure issues since our first latch. I can't even tell you what helped heal my left side completely because I tried *EVERYTHING* (it is still SUPER sore). I do believe that sleeping topless and getting air to the wound very often was the main thing. I still have "pinched" and blanched nipples when DD comes off. I just can not get our latch deeper... DD may have high palate from what my IBCLC says.

Do not beat yourself up Mama. What a precious gift you have given your LO. Hang in there if you can and give yourself credit and zero guilt if you need a break. If you ever want to vent or if you want to know more details of what worked for me/what didn't work feel free to PM me. I will say despite all of its downsides the shield worked wonders for me as far as healing goes. I can not believe how familiar our experience is. It does get better because it has gotten so much better for me since DD was just 6 weeks. Nothing is perfect at all yet, FAR from it and I am still in so much pain. But seeing the improvements that surface every week keep me curious to see what positive changes happen next.

best of luck mama

I have been reading your story too and my heart absolutely goes out to you I kept thinking of how similar our stories were. I am so sorry for all you have gone through. I have shed so many tears and said I was going to quit so many times. Then when it's time to nurse him I am back at it. I will pm you as I would love to hear anything you can share that might help. Sometime it's just nice to know I am not the only one going through this.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
vdubprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidip2p View Post

My DD is 5weeks now and we used the shield after i got blisters and scabs. they heald quickly...she now latches with no sheild which is nice. I do find that some days she is nursing every hour and I figure I'm either not drinking or eating enough. I'm as I type drinking Mother's Milk Tea that is supposed to stimulate more milk. When she gets super fussy I just pump what's left and feed her via bottle to settle her down and then she'll sleep for a good 2 hours. It gives me a break and my breasts will hopefully fill up for another feeding.

We were bouncing her all day yesterday I assume my milk supply was low.

But, yes it will heal quickly...not weeks more like days..
vdubprincess is offline   Reply With Quote