View Poll Results: Do you use nursing cover in public?
Always 36 17.22%
Sometimes 36 17.22%
Rarely 30 14.35%
Never 102 48.80%
Other 5 2.39%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #81
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you use a nursing cover in public?

Eh I do once in a while. Or did when I was nursing. Mainly I did around my fil, who is extremely uncomfortable with me nursing in general, and I do it out of respect for him. And then I would if I needed to nurse in a main area of church. And I mostly do that because I'm a pastor's wife, and I don't want to offend someone. Also my dh is a youth pastor specifically and I don't want any teenage boys getting more than they bargained for if they happen to look over But if I'm just out in the general public, or at home I never cover. I just wear a cami underneath all of my clothes so my tummy can be all covered up.... that's pretty much my main concern anyway Who cares about the boob (they still look nice), I care way more about someone seeing my flabby, stretchmarked, mom tummy. I know I'm so vain

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #82
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have found that nursing covers draw more attention to what you are doing than just doing it.

I never use a nursing cover, never did with my DD (she hated anything over her head anyway) and won't with my son. Believe me, you'll see a lot more boobage from the teenagers at the mall than you'll see out of me (F cups here)
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #83
Pauli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ladies, thanks for all of these wonderful replies. They have been great reading

It is nice to be among women who love to bf thier babies. I wish that with as many mama's we have here that do, that it would start showing up in the public more. Most often I see women feeding thier children formula in a propped up bottle Having to feed formula is one thing but I get so upset when I see babies not being held while they eat
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #84
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did at first. I just wasnt comfortable.As natural as breasfeeding is, I'm just really modest. It was easy when DS was younger and didnt move so much, but now he's a wiggle worm. I don't even bother. I got used to it and you can't even see anything.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #85
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauli View Post

It is nice to be among women who love to bf thier babies. I wish that with as many mama's we have here that do, that it would start showing up in the public more. Most often I see women feeding thier children formula in a propped up bottle Having to feed formula is one thing but I get so upset when I see babies not being held while they eat
THIS.
99% of the people I know who have babies FF and prop up the bottles. Makes me sad to think those babies arent getting all the lovin' they need.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #86
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauli View Post

It is very sad. That see that a lot here in my area. Especially at the WIC office. Everytime I've ever gone in for my appointment, I'm the only one breastfeeding AND holding their baby. No lie, all the rest are in bucket seats with bottles propped [many are newborns!]
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #87
mommanice
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was much more modest with my first than I am now with my second. Now I don't have the extra hand to devote to keeping a cover of some kind in place.
mommanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #88
larlini
Registered Users

My babies have always disliked being covered. It's a dilema since I tend to be overly modest, but babies have to eat, right?
larlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #89
jazter
Registered Users
seller

I voted other, I do cover up. It's called a baby. If I'm doing it right, you can't see anything unless you're looking down my shirt anyway. I'm more likely to flash belly than breast and frankly I'm more embarrassed that I sometimes still wear maternity pants pulled up really high than the fact I'm flashing tummy.

I did cover a few times the first time around, but that went out the window after a couple of weeks. Certainly by three weeks. I just wasn't coordinated enough to mess with arranging a blanket just so on top of using a nipple shield and positioning a very small baby who had issues nursing.

ETA: I'm in metropolitan California and have had to deal with very little NIP hostility than others may encounter.

Last edited by jazter; 07-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #90
Emma+Owen
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't use a nursing cover. My DS is only 9 weeks old. I put him laying down in the moby wrap I have, You can't see him anyway, I also have my hands free :-) No need for a cover.
Emma+Owen is offline   Reply With Quote