Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:
TMJ

I took my 7 YO DD to the ped because she kept opening her mouth wide not while eating. I first thought it was a tick but it was getting worse. The ped said that she could feel popping in the one side of her jaw and referred us to the dentist who then referred us to a physical therapist. She has her first appointment next monday and don't know what to expect??

Has anyones LO's had TMJ and was it treated? She does grind her teeth at night and the ped suggested a mouth guard but the dentist said it would be a waste of time and money since it would probaby fall out while she was sleeping. Dentist said that he will do whatever physical therapist suggests though.

Advertisement

WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
fourstac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: TMJ

I have TMJ. I clench my jaw at night as it is off centre. Your jaw tries to compensate by continually adjusting it. I got a special retainer (free with insurance) and it sucks. I haven't used it in years. I find relaxation techniques work to chill me out. I have heard of a special retainer that helps keep the front teeth together, which will help stop the whole clenching/grinding process. It won't fall out and I will look for the site.

Most of my TMJ is from an accident falling off of my bed as a yuong child. I also got my top wisdom teeth out a few years ago and that helped. I need to get the bottom ones out but I got pregnant and had to cancel it and haven't figured out when to do it with a nursing toddler.

Is there enough room in her mouth for her teeth?
Stacy: semi-crunchy/silly wife to Alex WAHM to home-waterbirthed perfect DD, Parker, (11/07) and new DS (10/10) Co-sleeping, non-vaxing, BFing, APing, coffee-drinking, deal-obsessing, dog-loving 100% Mom.
www.facebook.com/parkerbuttonspage Fresh Sewn goodness-handcrafted bags
fourstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really don't know. She hasn't lost any baby teeth yet.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just wanted to add an update in case anyone else would need any info. DD has to have physical therapy 3 days a week and they do massage and electro therapy to try and get the swelling down. They said that she was opening her mouth to relieve the pressure. She also can't have gum, hard or gummy candies and we have to cut her food into very small pieces. She is also going to be fitted with a night mouth guard.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was a little older than your Daughter when I found out I have TMJ. Only thing my Parents was told was that I have TMJ and that was that. Didn't change what I ate or anything. Only thing I did was make my food smaller if I saw it was too big nothing like trying to eat a "Big Mac or a Sub" and your jaw locking open. Whenever I yawn I'm always careful on how wide I open my mouth nothing like yawning really really big and your jaw locking open. Once we had to call my Orthodontist really late to meet us at his office so he could unlock my jaw. It's been over 20yrs since I found out I have TMJ. I guess they've found ways to treat it and make it better which is good.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote