Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Depends" for first couple days postpartum?

I wear them postpartum until I stop bleeding, basically. They are as comfortable as you'd expect an adult diaper to be, really no less comfortable than anything else you're going through in the weeks right after a birth. They fit like a bulky, not exceptionally tight pair of granny panties. I would say that I can wear a pair for as long as a pad/ tampon during a period, so maybe changing every two hours or so... I highly recommend them. It's one less thing to worry about and honestly, nobody extra needs to know that you're wearing them. Don't wear miniskirts or tight pants with them.

Advertisement

Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #32
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
I wear them postpartum until I stop bleeding, basically. They are as comfortable as you'd expect an adult diaper to be, really no less comfortable than anything else you're going through in the weeks right after a birth. They fit like a bulky, not exceptionally tight pair of granny panties. I would say that I can wear a pair for as long as a pad/ tampon during a period, so maybe changing every two hours or so... I highly recommend them. It's one less thing to worry about and honestly, nobody extra needs to know that you're wearing them. Don't wear miniskirts or tight pants with them.
I agree. I hate pads and don't use them. When it comes to after birth I'd rather wear depends than leak all over the place.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #33
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's_Momma~ View Post
I had a homebirth, and had a package of Depends I was so excited to use.

HATED them. I don't think they are meant to absorb something as thick as blood. The blood just sits on top and pools... Also, there is a crease in the crotch where they are folded, and the blood pools in the crease and overflows out to the sides.
It's hard to change them as much as you want to, because you have to take your bottoms off to pull them off, and to put knew ones one. When you pull them down, because of the elastic leg holes, it smears blood down your legs when you pull them off. I spent a lot of time feeling uncomfortable because I felt wet enough to want to change, but didn't want to go through the process of taking that BIG HUGE thing off (...and they filled up the garbage really fast)

Can you tell I hated them??

I preferred the Poise pads MUCH better. The suck the blood down into the pad much better, and they have a "rim" all around the pad to contain the gushes of blood (and they don't use wings which I HATE)

Just my "humble" opinion

Despite this being an old necro-ed up thread, it's still relevant....

You know, I disliked these things about the Depends too and had forgotten. Much like you forget the depths of pain of childbirth, you forget the trials of the postpartum period too, I guess. I think I'll still use Depends, despite them not being the absolute perfect postpartum solution.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #34
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

LOL I loved the mesh panties too. Planning to swipe some from the hospital I did buy a pack of generic brand depends to try since I was SO paranoid about leaking on my mattress the first few days after dd was born. I bled A LOT. If they don't seem absorbant enough maybe I'll stick a pad inside them? I mostly want them to keep from leaking out the sides while i sleep. Don't think I'll use them during the day.

One mama in our DDC wore them on the way to the hospital after her water broke - thought that idea was genius!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #35
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have always wondered this. I might do it this time. My bleeding wasn't so bad last time cause I had a csection and they clean some of it up, but ugh.. I was miserable.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #36
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's_Momma~ View Post
I had a homebirth, and had a package of Depends I was so excited to use.

HATED them. I don't think they are meant to absorb something as thick as blood. The blood just sits on top and pools... Also, there is a crease in the crotch where they are folded, and the blood pools in the crease and overflows out to the sides.
It's hard to change them as much as you want to, because you have to take your bottoms off to pull them off, and to put knew ones one. When you pull them down, because of the elastic leg holes, it smears blood down your legs when you pull them off. I spent a lot of time feeling uncomfortable because I felt wet enough to want to change, but didn't want to go through the process of taking that BIG HUGE thing off (...and they filled up the garbage really fast)

Can you tell I hated them??

I preferred the Poise pads MUCH better. The suck the blood down into the pad much better, and they have a "rim" all around the pad to contain the gushes of blood (and they don't use wings which I HATE)

Just my "humble" opinion
ooh.. this is good info.

when I was pregnant - I was more concerned with lochea than labor. I knew labor would hurt and lochea was disgusting and I can deal with pain more than disgusting.. lol