Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

Do you have rules about taking "sick" little ones out?

My other post was getting too long.....My friends and I have a rule that if anyone is sick so matter what the occasion we Do Not get together? This includes if one is supposed to watch the others little ones for work, wedding, etc..... We always tell each other when one of ours is down with something-Always! My one friend thought we were nuts and lied to me about her kids being sick-Deme ended up in the hospital. Now she understands why but does anyone else do the same thing within their group of friends? Or are we just nuts? If it's something that absolutely has to be done without children and there is no way around it then we deal with it (like work) but otherwise we all stick to the "rules".

Advertisement

driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
MomtoA,B&T
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have rules about taking "sick" little ones out?

If my kids have fevers then I won't go anyway, also if they have yucky runny noses then I will stay home for a few days!!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Only if it is something like a flu. Other than that it doesn't matter.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
birthfree
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh we totally do!!! I think it's common courtesy honestly - even if the only thing you do is to say "My kids have runny noses... it's clear but I wanted to let you know. Are you still okay with us playing today?" and be open to the "no" should they say so. If I take them to the store (my only option when grocery shopping) and they are sick we wipe down the cart afterwards too... not that it will 100% keep other kids from getting sick... but it might help.
birthfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not really... but mostly only because Bram rarely gets sick. I did use to babysit a little boy that always had *something* though and his mom would never even mention it. Once she even thought he had pink eye but didn't tell me, the other kid I was babysitting told me (their mom's were roommates at the time so she overheard I guess).

BUT, if Bram did have something, no, I wouldn't take him over to someone elses house or invite someone over, or take him to the park, etc. I hate when I see kids rubbing snot everywhere at the playground, that's just gross!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

If my kids are sick, we stay home, its not right to take sick kids out to sneeze and cough over other people & there kids.
before danae was sick, and we were still doing the playdates, if anyones kid was sick, the child better NOT show up, they will need to leave if they try and bring a sick kid.
a runny nose, sniffling, coughing, sore throat, low temp fever, all these can be fatal to a low immunity child. i have an aweosme friend, he rkids were always sick, ugh i hated it, they would try and tell me, oh theyre not sick, they have allergies, um yeah right, i'll catch you all another time, dont be bringing sick kids arund my kids. that will cause HUGE problems between me and that friend to not respect the whole keep your sick kids home until they get better, and now with my baby and all her treatments for chemo, she lost her imunity completely and a sneeze in her face can kill her since she has nothing to protect her system.
maer, i know your boat with deme, and i hope your friends out there keep there sick kids away
even at our hospital, they have a screening but it sucks, they only ask, if your coughing,sneezing or have had a fever in the last 48 hours, then give the kid a sticker bill of health, a few times i've had kids sneeze or cough, and i WILL complain to get a mask on the child or remove the child form the area of oncology, the kids are already sick and the chemo kills the immune system, i dont get why some parents are so selfish and bring sick kids into the enviroment that is trying to be clean for the cancer kids..

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 12-30-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they have either a fever, cough, or yellow snotties, they stay home. I have hosted playgroups where I have asked somebody to leave because their child was obviously sick. And I have left playgroups for the same reason.

My dd1's first birthday party was a disaster because my friend brought her little girl over that was diagnosed with fricken RSV and she didn't tell me until the next day! I made her call everyone that was at the party even the people that she didn't know. I ended up with a severe respiratory infection and in the hospital, and my poor daughter was sick for almost 2 weeks and was negative for RSV.

I still have not forgiven her for that!

I know my kids can't live in a bubble their entire life, but if I can prevent the ickies from getting worse then I stay in.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

My friends and I do just want OP said. It seems between our 5 kiddos we always have something, ugh. We always tell each other though and decide together if it is too bad to get together or if we think they will be ok. We mainly do it because we have almost always had an infant to worry about, we don't worry so much about the bigger kids, they can handle the sickies better, even though it is no fun. They will eventually be exposed to germs.
But it is just common curtesy Sp? to let each other know when germs may be present.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

It seemed that we all had little ones around the same time in the town where I grew up so most of the little ones are within 6 months of each other. lol actually every three months for about a year and 1/2 someone was having a new baby (small town). Anyways, as things popped up-RSV, Asthma, GERD, etc... we all kept passing stuff back and forth between the little ones (and mommies) We all got together and decided that if someone was sick that we would either reschedule or whatever-we also agreed that it was the best for all of us and that there would be no hard feelings. It sounds kinda clickie but we all grew up together and it worked for us-when a new family moves into town if they want they are invited to join in the stuff we do with the kids and we explain the way we handle it with anyone that is sick-we have been told that we are ridiculous until the moms find out about some of the cronic problems some of our little ones have. To me it just seems like common courtesy. I know there are times when you have no choice and need to go out when someone is sick, and the moms that work out of the home don't have a choice either ( I was one for a while), the mom in the Dr.s office today just ticked me off I guess. She had two children with her-both sick-and while the one was muckign up the play room the other was leaning over a baby that was a few weeks old at the most and coughing right into the carrier. The other mother had to pick the carrier up and tell the child to please not go near the baby cuz he was sick and could get the baby sick. In the mean time the mom is giving me grief about my child and not even bothering to watch what hers were doing. UGh I felt so bad for the mom of the little baby-this other lady heard her and told the boy to come on that the mom doesn't want him around her baby........it's a good thing I got called in to see the Dr. we probably would have ended up with a brawl in the waiting room.
driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
tresal
Registered Users

We stay home. I expect other parents to do the same... but since my kids are sick and have been on and off for 2 months almost, I don't think parents stay home. Course I've been watching a little boy whose mom brings him and doesn't say anything at all... it's only later that I notice that he's sick. So I didn't have him for most of december... then I had him last week and bam, my kids have yucky colds.
I feel so bad for them!

anyhow. yeah, we stay home. I would totally tell someone else if my kids were sick.

Teresa