Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you have rules about taking "sick" little ones out?

For the most part, we stay home. No preschool, no church, no playdates or parties. However, I don't have a ton of friends that I get together with, my best friend is really the only one who we get together and play with her kids. She has four, I have two, they are like sibling, so yes, if our kids are mildly sick, we still get together (runny nose, etc), between the 6 of them someone is always snotty. However, they are all extremely healthy and robust, so we don't have any immunity problems, etc. If we did, I would be way more careful!!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We leave it up to you whether you want to get together still or not. MIL calls us if our niece or nephews have even a slight cold and gives us the option of staying home or still coming to visit them. We'd do the same with dd but she's only been sick once and that was bad enough that there was no debating she was home for awhile. And we kept her home for several days after she got better so as not to pass on any lingering germs (bad stomach flu). We just make sure everyone knows what is going around and let them make the decision for themselves.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
boristhedog
Registered Users

We always let people know if the kids are sick and don't take them out. It's polite, you know?
boristhedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
sienna
Registered Users

I always disclose and let the other person decide....that is if i think my kid is well enough to go out, but the other person might not want to risk their kid catching it...sometimes ages of kids makes a difference - for instance if my ds has a cold i don't let that stop anything, but someone else might not want their 18 month old teething non-sleeper around him, kwim?

also i don't take my kids anywhere around big events like christmas (no office christmas parties for instance) b/c i don't want to risk them catching something right before they need to feel well to enjoy themselves.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it's just runny noses, I will let them know and it's their call.. I do take my kids out to the store with a runny nose.. Once they get fever/vomiting they stay home, we do not leave the house until their fevers are broken.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any friends IRL here, but *if* I would, I'd do the same!
We once had friends visit us from Germany (her and me went to elementary school together and always stayed in touch, our DDs were just 3 months apart) while we're still living in Portugal and sure enough the kid had some bad virus (diarrhia, vomiting etc.) already when they arrived and yet they didn't say anything nor did I have the 'heart' to say anything.. (They're staying at our appartment with us, the kid threw up all over the place etc.) Sure enough DD got it too and was sick badly for over 2wks..
Since then I've learned my lesson!..
Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
A'smommy
Registered Users

Well, we haven't done playdates much, but when they are little (or if anyone has immunity problems) you should DEFINITELY disclose IMO, and probably stay home if yours is the sickie. Now that DD is older I usually don't worry unless it's a fever, but her grandpa had a wicked cold at Christmas and didn't tell us. Everyone got sick, except me and DD (she already had a cold but I told them that).

It's hard this time of year. But especially for little ones, I disclose. We had friends driving over (3+ hours) to see the football game with their baby, and staying with us one night on the way. I had a slight fever and I called to tell them. They decided to come on, but we agreed I wouldn't hold the baby at least til the fever broke. (DD had had it a couple days before and it didn't last 24 hours.)

Tough call, but one everyone should make fully informed
Old 01-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #18
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I always tell people if there is sickness to let them make the decision. I find that most of the time people don't return the coutesy. My DS didn't get sick until he was one and started daycare, when one mom brought her kid who was always sick and the provider didn't say anything because they were friends. My girls always get really sick even if it's just a cold. Anything respiratory hits them hard so I hate when sick people show up and then say "oh I think I am getting sick"
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #19
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy View Post
If it's just runny noses, I will let them know and it's their call.. I do take my kids out to the store with a runny nose.. Once they get fever/vomiting they stay home, we do not leave the house until their fevers are broken.
That's totally where we're at. At dd's school there are some immune compromised kids, so if either kid is sick I'm super careful about not sending them in. Of course the two times dd has had a stomach bug in the past 3 yrs they've both manifested at school (once on the bus ). But I REALLY try. I KNOW there are kids in her class and in her school that go in w/pink eye, hair lice, colds, fevers, etc. Once kids get into school parents honestly think they can just dump them there no matter what! UGH!

Val - I LOVE that avatar!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #20
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Yellow/green snot, bad cough, or a fever, we stay home. If it's just a little sniffle, we go out.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote