Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When to start worrying about a skinny LO?

I'm kind of starting to get concerned. DS is 7 months and about 12 lbs, according to my home scale. He's been 12 lbs since 5 months.
Let me say though that my scale is not perfect. One time DH weighed himself naked, took a shower, weighed again and it said he'd lost 8 lbs

Either way, assuming it's accurate, would you worry? DS is below the bf baby chart for weight at his age. His head is in the 90th%, his height is about 50th% (though that was his measurement a month ago, as he's sleeping now). He's meeting or exceeding all milestones that I can find. He is breastfed and eats about a tablespoon of solids a day. He's always been skinny, but now he's not gaining weight.

Advertisement

wild fire child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to start worrying about a skinny LO?

What does your ped say? Our ds is tall and thin but the doc is not worried and neither am I, but then my husband is built the same way and my ds is over a year old. For the first year I do worry about them gaining weight.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He hasn't been to a ped yet. We had a lot of complications with our insurance at first, we don't vax, we bf and co-sleep, and we don't have a friendly ped, so he hasn't been. I've been thinking of taking him soon just to have an accurate weight and a record of a visit, but I haven't yet.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would take him to a pedi just to be sure.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

1st, i would not trust your scale. is there a LC office you could take him to and just ask to use their scale? i know the ones here in my town will let you do that, its worth a try.. they ask for your name etc but don't charge anything for a 'weight check'

2nd, what was his birth weight?

my DS doubled his birth weight early, by like 4 months, and then stopped gaining weight around 6 months.. he gained nothing for a couple months and then had a growth spurt around 8 months and gained 1.5 lbs.. then he only gained 8 oz between 9-12 months.. its pretty normal for a slow down around that age - some babies have it a little sooner than others (starting as early as 4 months in my experience) though i always wonder if the pedi was so calm with me because my DS was 20lbs at 6 months - now at nearly 14 months he is about 22.5 lbs .. thats a big drop in %, but still on the chart.. they seem to get more frantic about babies off the charts..

does your DS nurse frequently? do you feel like your supply is good? I do have a few friends who have had 12 lb 6+ month old babies - they were all perfectly healthy, just small
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
1st, i would not trust your scale. is there a LC office you could take him to and just ask to use their scale? i know the ones here in my town will let you do that, its worth a try.. they ask for your name etc but don't charge anything for a 'weight check'

2nd, what was his birth weight?

my DS doubled his birth weight early, by like 4 months, and then stopped gaining weight around 6 months.. he gained nothing for a couple months and then had a growth spurt around 8 months and gained 1.5 lbs.. then he only gained 8 oz between 9-12 months.. its pretty normal for a slow down around that age - some babies have it a little sooner than others (starting as early as 4 months in my experience) though i always wonder if the pedi was so calm with me because my DS was 20lbs at 6 months - now at nearly 14 months he is about 22.5 lbs .. thats a big drop in %, but still on the chart.. they seem to get more frantic about babies off the charts..

does your DS nurse frequently? do you feel like your supply is good? I do have a few friends who have had 12 lb 6+ month old babies - they were all perfectly healthy, just small
Our IBCLC let you weigh here too for free
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll have to find out if I can get him weighed when I'm back in town (helping my mom move this week).
He was 7.12 at birth, was 7.2 at 4 days, didn't regain to 7.12 until 3 or 4 weeks. He's always gained slow, and doesn't regain on schedule. I'm sure I make plenty, some days I make too much. he only eats from one side, so I know it's not too much foremilk and I know he could have more if he wanted the other side. His tummy is visibly full after he eats, in the mornings it looks like it has more than it can hold lol. He sleeps through the night - 10 hours, but he eats to sleep, once during the night, and as soon as he wakes. he poops every 2-6 days (usually 4, but solids makes it more unpredictable), and it is a huge amount. I feed him when he wants during the day, but I don't pay attention to when that is.
At birth he was average on all counts - head, weight, and length. He's been working up the charts on head and length, but down on weight.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

most hospitals or doctors offices will be more than happy to weigh your little one. I go every week to the hospital for a mom group and I weigh him myself there. I also have a skinny LO and have had problems with his weight since birth. my doctor did refer us to a ped when he only gained 5 oz in 2 months when he was 4 months old, but since 6 months he hasn't been very concerned with his slow weight gain.

he said as long as he's having wet and dirty diapers, is not LOSING weight, and doesn't drop more than 3 percentile groups on the chart (ie weight slows down too much) he's fine.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
SnapDragn
Registered Users

My daughter was 7.12 when she was born too. She was breastfed for 15 months and now at 17 months she is still less than 20 pounds. We have been concerned with her weight ever since she was a couple of months old and wasn't gaining quickly. It seems like we mentioned it every time we saw the pediatrician and he always told us that since she was meeting all of her developmental milestones, not to worry. She has been below the 10 percentile for height and weight, but in the 25th for head circ. since she was 6 months old. But she is right where she is supposed to be developmentally and has always been a really good eater, so we have stopped worrying about it. Everyone just tells us to be glad that we have a petite little girl!

Basically, as long as your son seems full and happy after feedings and is meeting all of his milestones, you probably have nothing to worry about.
SnapDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Emma+Owen
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS had his 2 month check today, he is 10 lb 8 oz at 9 weeks which puts him in the 20% for his weight, he is also in the 20% for his height. I seem to think BF babies are just lighter than FF babies, but 12 lbs at 7 months seems very small to me. I would take him to the ped just to get checked to make sure nothing is wrong.
Emma+Owen is offline   Reply With Quote