Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Lisa_delo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did you know that disposable diapers contain poisons?

After reading about the lady who's dog ate a disposable I decided to look around and came across this article.

I still put my little guy in them at night and on long trips

I really need to find a diaper that will hold him. I have BSRB coming soon, fingers crossed that they work!

Did you know that disposable diapers contain poisons?

It's time to all parents to avoid disposable diapers as they contain toxic chemicals and materials that may be risky to a baby's health. As babies are building their immune system and working to grow healthy organs and bodies to last
them a lifetime, exposure to toxic materials can hinder their development and cause long-term problems to their health. Baby skin is also thinner and more prone to chemical injury as chemicals are more readily absorbed into their body.

Disposable diapers are made of a large number of artificial materials such as polyethylene film for the plastic shell of the diaper, polyester (for the porous top sheet of the diaper) polypropylene (for the diaper liner), pulp fluff from chlorine-treated wood pulp (which produces dioxin, a cancer-causing substance as by-product), sodium polyacrylate (toxic super absorbent gel), oil and potentially allergic resin, hazardous perfume, and other harmful chemicals like tributyltin. Some of these substances can cause extensive harm to baby - from painful rashes and asthma to infertility and cancer in adult life.

Manufactures of disposable diapers often claim that it can keep babies dry for hours. This quality is attributed to the use of sodium polyacrylate. This is a gel found in the centre of diapers which locks wetness away from baby's skin. It is added to diapers in a granular powdered form, which turns into gel when wet. Also known as polymer crystals, sodium polyacrylate can absorb 200-300 times its weight in water and hold it in a rubbery gel.

The use of sodium polyacrylate in disposable diapers will facilitate less diaper changing from parents - which leads to rashes because of babies' exposure to absorbent chemicals, bacterial growth and ammonia from accumulated urine in the diaper and at the same time "pulls" natural
moisture (not just urine) from the baby skin which will encourage irritation. The substance has been reported to cause severe skin irritation, bleeding from perineum and scrotal tissues, fever and vomiting infections to baby. Baby will spend about 25,000 hours in diapers during the first years of life. This is an extremely long-time to expose babies to chemical present in the diapers.

Using disposable diapers is also environmentally costly. IT about 6,000 diapers change alone will require about 325 kg of plastic for the waterproof backing and packaging. The plastic in turn will need over 2,800 cubic meters of non-renewable gas to make. It also requires the chopping down of 4 - 5 trees to produce enough fluffy wood pulp.

The government should seriously look into the hazards associated with disposable diapers and take measures to reduce them. Meanwhile they should encourage the use of cloth diapers to protect babies and toddlers.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ous.html?cat=5

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did you know that disposable diapers contain poisons?

Wow! That is scary! So glad we switched to cloth!
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Stacy'n'Kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know. I learned that when I was researching CDs 2 years ago. It's the reason I won't "give up" on CDs- sposies don't just fill up landfills, they poison our babies!!!!
Stacy'n'Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
PipersMomma
waiting on repsonse to FSOT issue! Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if you need help as well!

My Mood:

This was the reason we switched to cloth. So gross and scary!! I could care less if i spend a million dollars a season on cds and wool at least its not hurting my babe!
PipersMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Yeah. Try to convince someone else of the facts though. People are going to do what they want to, regardless of long-term consequences, in my experience.

When some people learn that we use cloth diapers and in general, do not use disposable products, we get called "hippies" and the implication that we're "poor" is thrown around.

How ridiculous.

Yes, I lean to the "hippie-side" of things, but we're far from poor.

I felt really bad this weekend when my daughter was walking around, with a disposable diaper on her bottom, complaining that her bottom was itchy all the time. I honestly just needed a break and we were traveling and the thought of lugging 30+ diapers around was not appealing to me at all (and neither was the fact that I'd listen to my partner's mom tell us how we should be able to afford disposable diapers, blahblahblahblah).
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

love these types of articles. I just linked it from my facebook and I am sure I pissed off alot of mainstream "friends" doing so.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
hkristine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

great! now I've got guilt dh took the kids for an early vacation to visit his side of the family and low and behold the airlines lost one bag. of course it's the bag full of cd's and wool. anyhow, so both my lo's are in disposables and have been in disposables for a week now. I was going to just keep them in disposables until the trip is over (2.5 wks left) but after reading this; I think I may go ahead and pack their cd's with me when we meet up in CA. Oh....my poor lo's in nasty disposables I hate united!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

That's why we love cloth!
I was using a disposable here and there (naps, outings, nights) until one of my dogs, or cat , kept getting them out of the trash and eating the pee filled gel. So far all of the pets seem fine, the last time this happened was months ago...Needless to say, they are not found in my home anymore. Fuzzi Bunz took their place
Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
fourstac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They also contain toxins that are bad for their reproductive systems and they are right near their goodies!; it's horrible too for other growing systems.
Stacy: semi-crunchy/silly wife to Alex WAHM to home-waterbirthed perfect DD, Parker, (11/07) and new DS (10/10) Co-sleeping, non-vaxing, BFing, APing, coffee-drinking, deal-obsessing, dog-loving 100% Mom.
www.facebook.com/parkerbuttonspage Fresh Sewn goodness-handcrafted bags
fourstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
mom2phae
Registered Users
seller

I did a blog on my myspace about this. It's surprising how many people don't know this. It seems like it would be on the news, etc. But it's out there and people who do any research online (google it and you find lots about it) can find out this info. But like someone else said, even once people know they ignore it. I don't see how anyone in good conscience can keep their child in sposies after knowing the facts. It is different if it's just occasionally, we went on a trip and I had to buy sposies for lack of space, but for everyday it's just bad. I wish there was a way to convince everyone that cloth is not so bad, and not so hard to do. Everyone seems to think it's just way too much work. I do only have one in cloth, so maybe it's way harder with more, but still, even if it's just part time it's better then full time sposies. I'm thinking of trying to do something to make the community more aware of the benefits of cloth and the bad of sposies.
I am mother to Phaedra 4 and Jaevin 8 months . ISO Cute WAHM stuff for Christmas gifts, a toy for DD to learn to write her ABC's, and you can try me on other items. IHA: check out my made by me beaded hairclips @ http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=729350 and books Going Bovine, and others @ http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=862082

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=1299821.
mom2phae is offline   Reply With Quote