Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
jkhashab
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nursing 7 month old, but supplementing...

Hi Mamas,
I am nursing my 7 mo. old DS, and I used to pump when I went away without him, or if I was going out and needed milk in a bottle, but lately, I've been just supplementing with formula when out and about and I feel like my milk is decreasing. I really want to nurse to at least a year if not more (DS has dairy allergies, in addition to severe eczema) and I'm not sure if I should really start pumping again to build my supply. When I've done this in the past though, it's very painful, as DS won't drink that much from the breast in one sitting (unless he's half asleep in the middle of the night...and then we both wake up). Any ideas for balancing my supply?
thanks in advance,
Janet

Advertisement

jkhashab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
arianasmommy08
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nursing 7 month old, but supplementing...

just keep putting him at the breast. His sucking will increase your supply more effeciently than the best pump out there will. Comfort sucking is a big thing for babies, so let him suck until he lets you know he's done, then if he's still hungry give him a few ounces of formula. Your milk will start to increase and you can stop the formula all together. You'll be able to tell by his gulps that he's getting milk from the breast, too.
Make sure you're drinking enough water every day, and eat a bowl of oatmeal every day, too. Oatmeal is a natural supply increaser and always works for me! If pumping is painful, you don't have to do it, but make sure you're putting DS to the breast every few hours.

GL!
arianasmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nursing 7 month old, but supplementing...

If you really want to up your supply, cut out supplementing all together and just nurse. Maybe take a couple of days and have a "nursing vacation" with your LO. Drink lots of water, have lots of skin-on-skin contact, etc.

You have more milk than you think. Your body has probably adjusted so that you're not as engorged as you were in the beginning. It usually happens around 5-7 mos. If you need to go out, then NIP. It's much easier than trying to carry bottles around. Good luck!