View Poll Results: Are you ever not content to be a SAHM?
Yes happens all the time. 20 22.22%
Yes happens about once every few months 32 35.56%
Nope - are you crazy. 24 26.67%
Other 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question for SAHM?

Do you ever feel not content anymore? Where you would rather get a job and put your little ones in school and/or daycare (I am currently homeschooling)?

Even though I know that homeschooling and being home with my boys is best for them Im not sure if its good for me anymore. I just feel bored and like I don't want to do it anymore. I don't want to do all the housework. The boys are old enough to play with themselves or on their own and don't really need me anymore. I clean up the house and 10 minutes later its clean again. I just don't want to clean constantly for 12 hours a day. I try and tell dh how I feel but he is marking it up to AF that is set to arrive on Sat. I don't know it could be that or it could just be that I want to work! I want to do something outside of the house and make money and have independence like him. I don't know what it is. We are buying a house around Oct and I think we could buy a nice single family in a great neighborhood comfortably if I had a job too. Right now we can only afford about a $200k house maybe $225 max and that will probably only get us a townhouse here. Im not against townhouses - we currently live in one we are renting - its just that I want to move once and not anymore ever! That isn't going to happen with the money dh is making now. We will buy a townhouse and then in 5 yrs or so we will but a single family. Ugg why am I in such a funk?

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for SAHM?

It's understandable mama!
Hugs to you!
AF will come & go, but does this feeling stay? Life isn't just about the hubby or the kids or the house, it's about you too. If you truely feel the urge to get out there & be "yourself" and not "mama" or "honey" for a while, see if you can do it. PT or FT. Whatever. But it should be because you want to not because you want a better house or vacations. Those things come with that sure, but my point is that you need to do it for your soul not the money.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Asher's Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

First off, to you.

I answered Other to the poll because I know that I am content to be a SAHM, but I don't think people are crazy for not wanting to do the same. I think it's not for everyone and it's MUCH harder than people realize. I am really sorry you're having a tough time. It sounds like you need to make a change. Don't blame AF, she's probably just helping bring out the feelings you know you're having. Have you thought about putting the older kiddos into public school? That might lighten your load. Also, do your kids have chores? You shouldn't have to clean 12 hours a day once your kids are old enough to pick up after themselves. I don't know what the solution is for you, but I hope you find it.
And a post-tubal surprise Amelia Rose Matilda due 12/20/12
Asher's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

I haven't experience that yet, but I don't think you're crazy. I voted "other"
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i feel this way a lot. but here, i cant really afford daycare for the kind of jobs i would get. so really im just a sahm, and will be for a few more years.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Tater04tot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am also a sahm of 4 boys, same ages as yours almost. I do not home school, but I know what you are saying. Everyday you wonder what is out there and what you could do. I gave myself 6 months to decide and I try to journal so I know when and why I feel like I feel. Good luck Mama, it is a hard decision.
Tater04tot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally love being a SAHM and couldn't imagine not being here.

BUT I know many Women do not feel that way.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
ecwalke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had times when I'm very antsy, but I also have my kids in a charter school, so I get breaks. When my oldests are at school I sometimes put a movie on for my 2 year old so I can read or relax. Then I feel like I have some time to collect myself.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been a stay at home mom now for almost 4 yrs. The boys do have chores and help out but since they don't require my attention 24 hours there really is nothing left for me to do but clean or play on ds! My oldest two are old enough for public school and my almost 4 yr old is smart enough to go to K but I don't think they would let him in yet because he is just turning 4.

Its not that I want to do it for the money its that I really feel like I want to get out and do something. I feel like Ive been mommy for 4 yrs straight 24 hours a day 7 days a week and now I want to be Ericka again with mommy on the side (if that makes sense). I am going to online college to become a teacher (I have a BA in Economics but am getting a Masters in Teaching now). I was thinking about becoming a substitute teacher until I get my degree. That way I wouldn't be working everyday but at least I wouldn't feel like Im just mommy. Does that make sense?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
STK2
Registered Users
Formerly: t** **s
seller

My Mood:

My kids are 3 1/2 and almost 2 and I do have my days! Lately I have been wondering about going back to college so when DS is old enough for school I can go make more money for the house. But then again a part of me wants to stay with them and homeschool!! So I voted it happens everyone once in a few months!! Hugs mama!! I think most of us SAHM feel lonely and want some independence at some point! I think it just comes with the job!