View Poll Results: Are you ever not content to be a SAHM?
Yes happens all the time. 20 22.22%
Yes happens about once every few months 32 35.56%
Nope - are you crazy. 24 26.67%
Other 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
kiwi87
Registered Users

Re: Question for SAHM?

It happens to me all the time.

Advertisement

kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Right now, no.
Normally, yes. I am very grateful to be home.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted other..I have only been a SAHM for 7 months and I have been in school so I don't have a chance to feel anything other than tired but I did always want to be a SAHM with the realization that I'd probably want to go to work at some point. If it is what you feel is right then do it. You need to be happy and putting your kids in daycare or school isn't going to harm them.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love,love love being a SAHM,but sometimes I feel trapped being a SAHM because I don't have a license & I am always at home & unable to go anywhere. I have major trust issues because of some things that happened to me as a child which is mostly why I stay at home. Don't get me wrong,I love being at home with my DD & watching her learn & grow & be a part of that all,I just get anxious sometimes.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
Sarah0903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I picked other. I was a SAHM with DD until she was 2. My inlaws were badgering me to help out financially. We were doing fine, but I gave in and went to school and to work. I worked up until a few months ago. I am now a SAHM again! I am not too content right now because I am on modified bed rest. I really can't do anything with DD. I can't take her places as I am trapped in my house from 10 am to 4pm. We can go swimming (oked by the doc) but only after 6pm. By that time we are eating dinner and getting ready for showers and bed. I loved being home iwth my daughter the first itme around and I am sure I will again when Zack is finally born.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #26
LilyGrace
Registered Users

I fight against grass is always greener syndrome. When I was working I wanted to be home, when I'm home I want to be working. I don't think there will ever be a time that I am perfectly content because every choice requires giving up something. I try to make the best of it, and most of the time I do, but there's that bit of time where I would give anything to have a steady job again.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #27
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher's Momma View Post
First off, to you.

I answered Other to the poll because I know that I am content to be a SAHM, but I don't think people are crazy for not wanting to do the same. I think it's not for everyone and it's MUCH harder than people realize. I am really sorry you're having a tough time. It sounds like you need to make a change. Don't blame AF, she's probably just helping bring out the feelings you know you're having. Have you thought about putting the older kiddos into public school? That might lighten your load. Also, do your kids have chores? You shouldn't have to clean 12 hours a day once your kids are old enough to pick up after themselves. I don't know what the solution is for you, but I hope you find it.

I voted other too because I'm content, but don't think you're crazy at all!
Everyone is different.

I do have frustrating days and if I get an hour to myself I'm refreshed again. Right now, my life, my calling is "being mommy and wife". I do not desire nor want anything outside of that, but that's just me.

I would maybe explore some of your options. Maybe a part time job? A couple of evenings or days a week, just to test the waters, to get out, to see and seek what you may want to do.

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #28
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout18 View Post
I have been a stay at home mom now for almost 4 yrs. The boys do have chores and help out but since they don't require my attention 24 hours there really is nothing left for me to do but clean or play on ds! My oldest two are old enough for public school and my almost 4 yr old is smart enough to go to K but I don't think they would let him in yet because he is just turning 4.

Its not that I want to do it for the money its that I really feel like I want to get out and do something. I feel like Ive been mommy for 4 yrs straight 24 hours a day 7 days a week and now I want to be Ericka again with mommy on the side (if that makes sense). I am going to online college to become a teacher (I have a BA in Economics but am getting a Masters in Teaching now). I was thinking about becoming a substitute teacher until I get my degree. That way I wouldn't be working everyday but at least I wouldn't feel like Im just mommy. Does that make sense?
*Hugs Mama*

I have been a Sahm since my oldest Brandon (now six was born) However I have also been a part time student....which helps balance me out, and gives me something to feel proud of...maybe you are just saying, you need a little something to do on the side? I am home right now full time for the summer
and then I go back part time as a student, My oldest is also in school ( I was sad to let him go) but I also feel that helps me too.

I have had times like you where I just felt so done with being a sahm. It really is a very hard job, and no one really sees how hard you work. I wake up to a fairly clean home, laundry done, meals made, dishes done, within an hour, it is trashed and somehow the laundry has tripled since I went to bed! Maybe you are still wanting to be a sahm, but looking for a hobby or something to do that doesn't involve your children. Maybe subbing would be good for you, or maybe even try just getting out of the house for a class ( I like to do yoga or pilates ) or if exercise isn't your thing, maybe try a pottery or an art class...do something that is just for you!!!!! You deserve it and it will make being at home seem easier if you have time for yourself apart from your children.!!!
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #29
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's why I am working now. I was a SAHM for years and it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #30
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98
*Hugs Mama*
I have had times like you where I just felt so done with being a sahm. It really is a very hard job, and no one really sees how hard you work. I wake up to a fairly clean home, laundry done, meals made, dishes done, within an hour, it is trashed and somehow the laundry has tripled since I went to bed!

Like days like today, when DD went to bed way too late and was up way too early and is refusing to nap despite being way overtired, and the laundry is all over the place, and the I-ordered-it-in-desperation pizza box is still on the counter, and...

Yeah.