Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Delayed Vacination in Oklahoma?

I want to delay vaccination when my baby is born (May). Who should I tell? Will they try to vaccinate at the hospital? Also, I don't want them putting that ointment in her eyes, but my OB said it is hospital policy. What can I do about that?

Marie

Advertisement

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Delayed Vacination in Oklahoma?

I know they asked me in AZ if we wanted Noah to get Hep vac's but with the vit eye stuff, I don't care if it is policy IT'S MY KID! Read everything you sign EVERY SINGLE THING to make sure you do not approve it! BTW Ask Shannon she might know she is in OK!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Hayley is correct. Make sure you read EVERYTHING they ask you to sign before you sign it. In fact do your pre-admission paper work at least 3 weeks before your EDD so you have time to read it through w/o being rushed. Cross out and initial anything you don't agree to. Point out those edits to your OB and make sure they understand you are very adamant about your wishes being followed. Hospital policy is not state law and you can refuse ANY AND ALL shots, ointment etc. Remember these words, "I do not consent to " If they do it w/o your consent, the vax at least is assult and they can be successfully sued. Make sure they put it in your chart it large writing and make sure you have someone there that's only job is to be vigilant that the staff follow your wishes w/respect to what is and is not done to your baby. The absolute best way to prevent anything being done w/o your consent is to demand that the baby be on your chest for the after birth exam and that you room in and the baby NEVER leaves your sight or the sight of your DH, mom or MIL who will make sure that your wishes are followed.

Sorry for the long response, I just really hate that "hospital policy" crap they trot out when someone questions their authority.

mama and good luck. If you were anywhere near me I would volunteer to be the 500# gorilla that makes sure your DD isn't given anything w/o your permission.

Oh, you may be asked to sign a waiver that you are not going to hold the hospital or OB liable if anything happens due to your refusal of ointment, vax whatever.
They do vax for HepB at birth and also typically do a Vit K shot at birth along w/the eye ABX.

Okay I promise this is the last one, but if (heaven forbid) you end up w/a C/S, make sure they still don't do the crap. My SIL had everything in her chart and had signed all the required paperwork to NOT get eye ABX and they still did it, after a C/S for peetsake!! Baby was never in the birth canal....... <sigh>
Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i think you can sign a waiver although i would allow the k shot, it controls clots and the eye gel, that is to protect the baby, i did not let them give dd the hep b shot, my son did get it because they gave it to him before i even knew
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
i think you can sign a waiver although i would allow the k shot, it controls clots and the eye gel, that is to protect the baby, i did not let them give dd the hep b shot, my son did get it because they gave it to him before i even knew
The eye gel is in case you have gohnorrea(sp?), which you are tested for in the blood work-up they do at one of your first prenatal appointments. And there is some discussion about if the lower clotting factor is there for a reason. Unless the baby has trauma (which honestly is pretty frequent at a hospital birth) there's really no reason for the Vit K shot. If you do want the Vit K, get the oral.
If your baby does end up w/an eye infection after birth, (from whatever) then you can use the ABX, but it should not be given prophalactially. (is that a word?) Just like ABX for GBS.... but that's my Treat once an infection is noted, not "just in case".
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just be careful because the Hep vax form was shoved in my face not 5 seconds after my expected-to-be-still-born/retarded/deformed child was born (and after I was doped up) so of course I signed it. (Oh, and it was in with the papers I had to sign to have his picture taken too!)

You would think they would cover something like that *BEFORE* he was born... especially since I had to have a section and it was PLANNED.

(Can you tell I'm bitter about it?? LOL)

Last edited by urchin_grey; 01-01-2007 at 11:51 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielblewis View Post
I want to delay vaccination when my baby is born (May). Who should I tell? Will they try to vaccinate at the hospital? Also, I don't want them putting that ointment in her eyes, but my OB said it is hospital policy. What can I do about that?

Marie
well I think the pp's did a pretty darned good job giving advice.. I just had to second what the pp said about vit k - go oral if at all... I would say also more so if there gonna be a circ.

regarding whom to tell of the no vaxes. tell whoever needs to know - the hospital staff is a yes. it may be policy but that can be waived - by signing a waiver

you're best bet is someone thats sole duty is to make sure that baby is never alone with the staff. Not that they are ogres or anything but it's best to have a helper (gmas are great for this position - assuming they agree with your decisions )
man I feel a rambling fit coming on - so I'll stop.
GOod luck!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Just be careful because the Hep vax form was shoved in my face not 5 seconds after my expected-to-be-still-born/retarded/deformed child was born (and after I was doped up) so of course I signed it. (Oh, and it was in with the papers I had to sign to have his picture taken too!)

You would think they would cover something like that *BEFORE* he was born... especially since I had to have a section and it was PLANNED.

(Can you tell I'm bitter about it?? LOL)
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in OK and didn't have any issues. The nurse looked at me like I had 4 heads and said something along the lines of why would I NOT want the vax, but after that no issues. DH actually wanted to get it in the hospital after that and I was like fine, but another nurse said there's not really any reason after the first 24 hours and we might as well wait until our first Ped appointment. *shrug* He got his first at 2 months. No shots since.

He got the Vit K shot and the eye goop (though I wiped that off as soon as he got over to me). I'll probably opt out of the eye goop next time, but still let them give the vit K shot. Not really a chance I want to take.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Tara62
Registered Users
seller

There's actually a law in OK that you DO NOT have to give the eye ointment or vaccinations if you do not want it. Just be sure to tell the nurses beforehand, and remind the doctor, and say it as soon as the baby's born. I had my baby in November, and yeah, I got looked at like WTF?! but they complied.
Tara62 is offline   Reply With Quote