Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you deal with a biter?

My youngest dd is a biter. I think, anyway. I watch these other 2 kids in my home, a brother and sister. S (boy) is 6 days younger than Katie, but is MUCH bigger. R (girl) is only 8 months. Katie and S play well together most of the time, but sometimes she bites him. However, she ONLY bites S. She has never bit any of her sisters, me or DH, or the baby R. I try to catch her before she does it, but like I said, she doesnt do it often, not even once a week usually. Also, S tends to follow her around everywhere. To the point that most of the time he is not farther than an arms reach away from her. That close. I actually made my bed off limits to him so that Katie can go there just to get away from him for a bit. (we co-sleep, so it is her bed, too) Well, yesterday she bit him twice. I was unable to catch her either time. He actually never even complained and I didnt know she has done it until I went to change his diaper and saw the marks on his arms. So, I dont know if they were both right at the same time, but neither was there before. I try talking to her and making her sit on the naughty chair, but it isnt working with her. I think she bites him out of frusteration with him being so close, but I am not sure. Even still, she shouldnt be biting, so I want to nip this in the butt. I have never had a biter before, and like I said, it tends to be infrequent. How do I stop her?

Advertisement

doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: How do you deal with a biter?

I have no idea but will be watching for tips!

DD has bit DSD twice now! I have caught her going to do it again and so I have grabbed her and sat her a couple feet away with her back to us. She cries and cries and then I go over and talk to her about it...... but she's only 11mo!!! I've got to stop this NOW! My first main goal, tho, is to teach DSD to MOVE when she starts to feel teeth!! Don't just sit there and let her bite you! And I'm working with DSS to stop putting his own fingers and knuckles and toes! (yes, true story), and sometimes DD's fingers, in his own mouth. sigh. He's almost 7yo, hopefully I'll get thru to him! He never bites DD but he loves to balance right on the edge of what's acceptable and what's not.

Sorry, all that was a bit of a tangent and probably not helpful to you, since yours isn't coming from others... Anyway, I just wanted to say GL and I'll be watching this thread, too!!

p.s. but if the teaching the bitten one to move idea sounds good - I'll add that I've had to kinda role play with DSD to get her to understand and "practice" moving and not letting herself get bitten!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I have no idea... DS is 9 months and bites me all the time, I usually say "no biting!" and put him down away from me and he cries like his heart is breaking, comes back and does it again right away! *sigh*

It's to the point where I don't let him get close to other kids because I know he's going to slap, bite, or pull their hair.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

to the OP I have no idea of what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
I have no idea... DS is 9 months and bites me all the time, I usually say "no biting!" and put him down away from me and he cries like his heart is breaking, comes back and does it again right away! *sigh*

It's to the point where I don't let him get close to other kids because I know he's going to slap, bite, or pull their hair.
I am going through the same thing. My son just got his first 2 teeth and my fil lets my son beat him and pull his hair. I have woken up because I was slapped so hard or headbutted in the nose. I don't know what to do since he is getting positive feedback from his grandfather and negative feedback from hubster and i.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
LisaV
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a biter that started when he was 2 at daycare. He did it nearly everyday. Evenetually he had like a safe toy that we worked on teaching him to bite when was frustrated. Something soft like a teether or a squishy pool toy. And then obviously trying to teach them to manage and redirict when possible.

GL I know how frustrating and concerning this can be.
LisaV is offline   Reply With Quote