Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
MT_ranch_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So what's the difference? (CIO related)

We CIO'd DD1 and it nearly killed me (only a few nights when she was older though-she was always a great sleeper/self soother). I've tried to let DD2 cry for a bit, but she just screams louder. I can't do it. I know her cries and it just destroys me to hear her screaming in her bed all alone. She's always been super dependent and I guess she's just a more demanding baby.

tummy mommy~yes, I've reluctantly considered giving up gluten. Lord help me, I don't know what I'll eat..LOL!
Looks like that really may be the next step.

Advertisement

MT_ranch_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
hellyaellen
Registered Users

i think it depends on the baby. if its the difference btw crying in bed for five minutes and crying in your arms for 2 hours then its probably just that shes fighting sleep in your arms and would be fine to put her down but if she crying for 2 hours no matter where she is might be better off in your arms

i don't think it would hurt to try putting her in the crib....you could always get her out.....
hellyaellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

when some of you are saying he "only" cried for 30 minutes, that sounds like a long time to me! I can't stand it when my baby cries for more than 5 minutes!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Pampered View Post
I had the same routine, until I realized it was actually causing him to stay awake and cry. Now I nurse him, read a story, sing a song and then lay him down, he cries for a few minutes and falls right asleep. I think maybe some lo's try to fight sleep because you're still there. There's still a reason for them to stay awake. But once they're in their crib, there's nothing else to keep them awake.
My DD1 would scream and cry for an hour with me rocking her (this is after getting on acid reflux meds so there was nothing "wrong"). If I laid her down and walked out it was maybe 15 min tops. Needless to say I stopped the madness, would feed, diaper, love, and walk out of the nursery.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I definately don't like CIO but when my youngest was 5 months and waking up 3 times a night to eat (going to bed at 9 and up for good at 6) I was just so tired one night that I forgot to turn the monitor on. Then again I was so tired that I didn't hear her cry without the monitor. Dh said she woke up at her normal 3 times but went back to sleep within 5 min. each time and has slept through the night since then without a problem. I have since discovered that when she's over tired she does the eat for a minute, pull off, scream for a couple minutes back to eating circle and she just needs to be put down. This 5 minutes of crying may hurt me a bit but it saves my sanity most of the time too. She will honestly cry for 5 minutes max and is done and out for good. I can also tell the difference between her crying to sleep cry and "come pick me up I am not going to stop" cry. I only hear the second one during naps though not at night.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
Kirioth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
My sis had this same issue with her son and I said that she may not know the difference, he's crying with her or without but HE knows the difference. There's a big difference between me being upset and crying and lying in my bed all alone just wanting dh to hug me and me being upset and crying and having my dh hug and hold me. I might not cry less but those arms sure mean a lot. I can't imagine it's any different for a baby.
Kirioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Pampered View Post
I had the same routine, until I realized it was actually causing him to stay awake and cry. Now I nurse him, read a story, sing a song and then lay him down, he cries for a few minutes and falls right asleep. I think maybe some lo's try to fight sleep because you're still there. There's still a reason for them to stay awake. But once they're in their crib, there's nothing else to keep them awake.
You just described my DD. She's exactly the same way. If I try to comfort her down, the process of getting her to bed takes 10 times as long because she wants to interact with me. If I cuddle her for a few minutes after the story, sing her a song, and then put her down and leave the room, she's usually out inside 5 minutes.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP I think the best thing to do is try something different. Screaming for 2 hours every night is not good for either one of you. Each baby is different, your lo mght fall right asleep in her crib, or she might just cry as usual. You won't know until you try. Of course, if your lo cries just as much, try something else. I've tried a combo of different things to get my ds to sleep. When he was younger he would get hysterical if I put him in his crib. Now that he's older it's much easier.
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
My sis had this same issue with her son and I said that she may not know the difference, he's crying with her or without but HE knows the difference. There's a big difference between me being upset and crying and lying in my bed all alone just wanting dh to hug me and me being upset and crying and having my dh hug and hold me. I might not cry less but those arms sure mean a lot. I can't imagine it's any different for a baby.
This is a wonderful analogy!!! And exactly how I feel on it too.

to the OP. I think it's wonderful you are comforting your baby.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

my take, even though i'm pretty new to all this! - is that if something's not working, we try something else. anything - chances are it will be better than whatever's not working!

we kept thinking our DD's bedtime should be early, so after 7 pm we were keeping lights low, being upstairs, doing quiet time. she would just cry and cry and cry until about 9 when she would nurse and go to sleep. we finally decided that we were giving up on the early bedtime, and instead started talking long evening walks, then doing bathtime, then reading and then nursing... and she happily goes down to sleep between 9 and 9:30 every night. She just wanted to be up for a while longer and I think was horribly bored upstairs and not tired enough to go down! (She is now typically awake from 5 or so until she goes down for the night - a long time for a 4 mo old, but it's how she's happy!)

GL!!!