Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
MyrtleWarbler
Registered Users
seller

P&T vs Bob (second child - eventually)

Sorry to create yet another stroller thread (as my very first here! )asking about the Phil and Ted strollers, but my question is a bit different than the others...

I'm due in October with our first. We plan to CD at least some of the time, so I've been to this website and forum to lurk as I've been learning. But it's a stroller question that finally prompted me to join! It seems members here have some experience with these brands.

DH is totally sold on the Bob Revolution, after we stopped a stranger at a fair last weekend to check it out . Seeing that and trying it got us fully past deciding between Chicco and Graco, and realizing that we wanted an all-terrain stroller, even for more money. We are active people, not mall people.

But then I researched more and learned about the other options! I think I've narrowed it down. My current dilemma is now the Bob vs. a Phil and Ted Sport buggy. Although we are only expecting our first, we definitely hope to have a second child within a couple years.

It seems that the Bob is wonderful, and probably better as a single stroller than the P&T for various reasons. For example, people seem to gripe consistently about the brake on the P&T, and this will irk DH, I know it. However, when baby #2 comes along, we'd be in the market for a double anyway (although I know the Bob double is also awesome, but hate to spend that $$ twice!). Are some of the downfalls to the P&T (vs the Bob) worth it for the longer-term savings and convenience of that solution? I love the idea of one stroller that can be either a double or a single. I balk at spending a lot on a Bob, and being back to square 1 in a couple years (not that we wouldn't still use it, but you know).

BTDT advice, esp if you've used both strollers, would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

Last edited by MyrtleWarbler; 07-08-2009 at 06:53 AM.
MyrtleWarbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
EBentley
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: P&T vs Bob (second child - eventually)

I see people doing the same trails and paths as I do with my Bob, with there P&T. I still prefer my Bob. Nothing compares to it. For one, the P&T doesn't have the great shocks on it. But the P&T is probably more convenient for size, folding, etc. The Bob usually has good resale value on craigslist, though. So that's one thing to consider.

I compared the two when I was shopping and went with the Bob b/c I did more outdoorsy stuff, but knew I could still take it to the mall. It's not a mall stroller, but it steers well. I didn't want to spend the money on the P&T and be frustrated if it wasn't great. But I do see a lot of P&T's so people must be happy with them. Now, the people on the trails and paths with Gracos and Chiccos, they look pretty exhausted.
EBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
k8secondo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do a stroller workout class and many people there have BOBS and P&T's. (I have a P&T)

I think if you are a jogger/runner and go offroad a lot, the BOBS are definatly worth the investment. They are easier to push, have better shock absorbtion and have large sized canopies and storage baskets. They will hold up to rugged use and still look pretty good afterwards. The resale value, at least in my area is pretty high also.

If you are a power walker/slow jogger (Like me ) who sometimes goes offroad, but usually doesn't, check out the P&T's. I also like it because it's a little more Mall friendly (can fit through store doors and aisles easily). Although I see people at the mall with their BOB's a lot too!

Another factor is how soon you plan to have another kid. If you plan on 2 years or less, a double BOB or P&T's would work well. If you plan on 3 years or more I would get a single BOB or P&T's. My kids are 3 years apart, and we have the P&T's because we switch back and forth a lot between a double and single set-up.

Hope this all helps!!

k8secondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
mariola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both (well, my BOB is Ironman, no swivel wheel on that one) and honestly, I love them both for different situations. P&T is more compact both for folding and manuevering, which is big plus when I go shopping, it's a lot narrower than BOB (my BOB can go through standard doors). BOB is a lot easier to push on bumpy roads, esp. in the winter, or if you are going over the curbs while walking pretty fast (P&T distributes weight differently so it's a little harder to lift up the front wheel and then lift the back of the stroller when you have 2 kids in it). P&T however has many unique features that no other stroller has.

If you primarily want to to do power walks, go with BOB. If you live within walking distance from stores, esp. smaller shops, and like to walk there with kids, then go with P&T.

Also a couple of things to consider: P&T doesn't give much protection from sunlight or rain (unless you get a special canopy or rain cover) and BOB has 'slumpy' seats, they lean towards the middle slightly and my 15 month old can't sit up straight like she can in P&T.
mariola is offline   Reply With Quote