Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered Users
Anyone have experience w/ children w/ texture issues?

I was just wondering if your kids outgrew them. DS is extremely sensitive when it comes to having certain textures in his mouth- to the point where if you even make him take the tiniest bite of something he finds gross (such as canteloupe) he will vomit everywhere. I deal with the food sensitivity by just respecting his decision when he says he doesn't want to eat something b/c it's yucky. (Some say I shouldn't give in, but its SO much better than having to clean up puke.) The current issue is when he coughs. If he coughs up the tiniest amount of phlegm, he vomits. I'm afraid to take him out of the house (he's really not that sick, it's just this little cough) b/c I never know when he'll throw up. Is there any chance he'll grow out of this?

After struggling with PCOS, IF, and multiple miscarriages, my family is complete.
DS 2005 and DD 2007
jac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have experience w/ children w/ texture issues?

My DD is this way. She is 7.5 yo. We did feeding therapy with her that was texture based, foods were in different categories and arranged a menu out of that. She has a hard time with mixed and will still vomit. We also worked on moving her gag reflex to the back of her mouth, so vomiting didn't come easily with lots of chewy tubes, z-vibes, etc.

We also worked on appropriate ways to try a food and "reject" it. Smelling and licking and ok, neatly and calming spitting out a small bite is ok as well; Yelling and screaming, etc are not. A good friend also loaned me her son for about 6 months to goto therapy with her, so that she had an age appropriate model.

DS does have anorexia, so she had additional issues with food. I can tell you that being around peers has helped a lot, 1st grade lunch and snacks at Daisy Scouts get her to eat AND want to try things other kids are having.
Brittany, wife to Rawlo , mom to dd T (10/01), ds M (6/07) & ds O (3/09)
cloth diapering, baby wearing, part-time homeschooling, LDS SAHM who volunteers
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote