Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
bethy
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD won't eat her dinners...

DD is nearly 7 months and BIG - we haven't had her weighed for a while but she must be at least 25lb and chunky. She is just crawling. She has had 2 teeth since she was 4 months.

We were recommended to start her on baby rice at about 3 months because she was such a hungry baby (feeding at least every hour - she is breast fed btw). She wasn't interested so we left it a while and tried again - she wolfed it down. She has been having something at lunch time and at dinner time (usually mushed fruit/vegetables) since then - but now she just seems to want milk. She loves drinking water from her cup but usually just tries to snatch the spoon off me at dinner time and leaves pretty much everything. She LOVES food from my plate and sits and chews it quite happily. Is she ready for finger food or is it too early? She is growing well, but some days she only has milk and I'm concerned that it isn't enough.

Any advice much appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: DD won't eat her dinners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethy View Post
DD is nearly 7 months and BIG - we haven't had her weighed for a while but she must be at least 25lb and chunky. She is just crawling. She has had 2 teeth since she was 4 months.

We were recommended to start her on baby rice at about 3 months because she was such a hungry baby (feeding at least every hour - she is breast fed btw). She wasn't interested so we left it a while and tried again - she wolfed it down. She has been having something at lunch time and at dinner time (usually mushed fruit/vegetables) since then - but now she just seems to want milk. She loves drinking water from her cup but usually just tries to snatch the spoon off me at dinner time and leaves pretty much everything. She LOVES food from my plate and sits and chews it quite happily. Is she ready for finger food or is it too early? She is growing well, but some days she only has milk and I'm concerned that it isn't enough.

Any advice much appreciated!

let her try some finger foods. Only you and she really know if she is ready. My Dd didn't like to be fed and she started eating finger foods at about 8 mo so I don't think it is too early to let her try. Make sure it is really soft stuff of course, or at least things that will dissolve easily. Crackers and sticks of toast are really good to try. My DD was eating cheerios as one of her first finger foods. Also stuff like peaches, cooked carrots, green beans, peas. All great foods to start with.

Good luck I hope she loves feeding herself as much as my little one does.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

My 7 1/2 mo. old twins love finger foods. Bananas and avacados are great, too. A baby can be healthy on breast milk alone for something like a year, so no need to worry. You are her main source of calories and all other food is kind of for fun right now. And her interest in food may go in spurts. She'll let you know what she wants/needs.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

solids before a year are just practice. BM is the main nutriton. Dont worry if your DC goes days or weeks only wanting milk that perfactly fine.

Also I know a lot of moms that skip spoon feeding and go right to finger foods. My DD is nearly 10 months and never gets spoon fed. Shes been eating finger foods since around 7.5 months.

Good foods are
avacodos
sweet potatos
Beans (lintels and kidney)

Basicaly anything mashable
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote