Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
budafam
Registered Users

Ventorama

I have just HAD it today! The little boy I babysit for is being a total tantrum thrower all day long. My daughter is getting teeth and my son is still PLing apparently (he's had it down for the last 3 weeks but today he's decided to poop and pee multiple times in his pants!) I feel like I could lose it.

I am so tempted to quit watching this little boy but that would be $560 less a month for our family and that's a lot!!! I brought it up to my husband and he won't even listen to me. It's that far out of the question. I guess I got spoiled last summer when I was pregnant and had the summer off from babysitting to spend however I wanted with my son. I would love to be able to take both of my kids places... library, museum, zoo, parks, etc. during the day. By the time this boy leaves my house, I have to make supper, do laundry, DH gets home and wants to relax or do more work... ugh!!!

I would just like DH to give me a date that I could quit... I would bare through this winter because it would be tough without that extra money but I would love to stop watching this boy next spring. I think we could cut out some things and have enough money.

Sorry for the vent, really kinda pointless... just wanted to share it with someone.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ventorama

no advice, but didn't want to read and not offer support.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
budafam
Registered Users

thank you! i feel so selfish when i whine like this but i am sooo at the end of my rope!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

No advice. I have days like that, and I too feel selfish when I complain about it..

My 2 are a year apart, however they are a bit older now (just turned 6 and almost 5) I watch a 1 year old and have since he was 6 months old, plus I am pregnant, ready to go any day and although I've taken the last 2 weeks off and will take a tiny bit off after my baby comes, I'll still be watching the 1 year old with my own newborn and my own 2 older kids. Maybe the difference is I don't watch him for the money. They do pay me well, but the money doesn't go into our household expenses. I could quit anytime but I just love the little guy to bits. It's blow money for me and the kids and gas for my car.

can you take the little guy you babysit out? The girl I sit for is a close friend so I have reign to do what I like when I have him, I have an extra carseat and he just does what we do. I just treat him as if he were my own...I babywear him, he comes to Tae Kwon Do with us, we go to the park, library out to lunch. He comes to Dr appointments, etc... He just joins in our regular day with us. I know it can be hard with 3, 3&under but if you just dive in and do it you will figure it out, and before you know it it's just second nature. I have a friend who had 4 in 4 years and another who has 4 in 6 years and I figure if they can manage then so can I!!

Good Luck
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
budafam
Registered Users

oh my goodness! good luck to you! unfortunately i can't take him out. i would but he's only 1 (and 35 lbs. at that) so wearing him would be out of the question for me. i started watching him 4 weeks after my c-section and i could barely lift him at that point. my daughter will be 1 soon and i thought she would be getting easier but her teeth are starting to come in now so the days have been rough. i guess i just have to get over it and deal with everything. i feel like i'm always trying to accomplish too much in a day. i really need to learn how to sit back and take things a lot slower.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
budafam
Registered Users

Update: I talked to DH tonight and he agreed that once next spring rolls around, we can consider me quitting with the babysitting. That way I can focus more on our kids until they go off to school (DS will be 4 next summer and we're trying to decide whether or not to keep him home till kindergarten or let him go to 4K). We're planning on refinancing our house loan in spring as well so that should free up some money for us. I feel so much better now and I'm happy that DH agrees with me.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good news then! That's great. A goal is always easier to keep your eye on. We went through something similar and we realized we could make due with less income. So now I have 2 sibling sets that come PT instead of working M-F 6:30 til 5:30. I don't miss that at all and we honestly don't miss the money. You can usually cut stuff out here & there and be okay.
I hope that goal comes quicky and that you achieve it!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
oh my goodness! good luck to you! unfortunately i can't take him out. i would but he's only 1 (and 35 lbs. at that) so wearing him would be out of the question for me. i started watching him 4 weeks after my c-section and i could barely lift him at that point. my daughter will be 1 soon and i thought she would be getting easier but her teeth are starting to come in now so the days have been rough. i guess i just have to get over it and deal with everything. i feel like i'm always trying to accomplish too much in a day. i really need to learn how to sit back and take things a lot slower.
The little guy I sit is 1 now and a lunker. He's pushing 30lbs, I wear him in a pouch sling and have been able to comfortably up until about 36 weeks into this pregnancy when I took a break for the end of my pregnancy. Though I can understand not wearing after a C-sec, have you tried wearing him? I thought K would be too heavy but I was really quite surprised, he naps well in the sling while we are out too.

Not being able to take the LO out, I can understand how it would get frustrating. One of the reasons I am so flexible and will take K any time (his mom works shiftwork and dad works odd hours) and enjoy having him, is that I have the ability to be able to take him wherever with me. It will definitely get interesting again once this baby finally comes But I've had a 1yo and a NB before so I think I'll be able to make it work, and DD is in 1st grade in Sept and DS will go to K for 2 full days a week, so there will be some days when I just have the 2 kids.

You need to do what's right for you though. I'm just a little crazy and actually would like to take in another child at some point, but I'm not sure I would be able to find another family as great as the friends/family that I'm sitting for now.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
Update: I talked to DH tonight and he agreed that once next spring rolls around, we can consider me quitting with the babysitting. That way I can focus more on our kids until they go off to school (DS will be 4 next summer and we're trying to decide whether or not to keep him home till kindergarten or let him go to 4K). We're planning on refinancing our house loan in spring as well so that should free up some money for us. I feel so much better now and I'm happy that DH agrees with me.
I'm glad your DH is being open to your desires. I contemplate babysitting all the time for some extra $$, but I'm pregnant with my 2nd and I have a 3 yo. It would be trying, and I would probably want to quit once my new baby arrived.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote