Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

A rant about colic, bf, my MIL, and tummy fab.

Today we went in for DD 2 mth checkup. After having to explan over an over why I want to delay vax we talk about my DD crying. Colic!!!!!!! this is my second child iwth colic and everyone (except the doc and my DH) seem to think it's my fault ! My MIL especially keeps making the point that "none of her babies were ever like that" or, "as you grow up as a parent they won't cry so much"... WHAT! I'm 24 and I feel pretty mature. I'm handling it, so why does everyone keep telling me what I'm doing wrong... wear her don't wear her feed her more feed her less, don't BF, eat this, don't eat that AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! On top of that I just walked with my DS without my DD and someone asked me, so when are you having the baby . My response... In a few minutes when I find her and DH. They turned red and I din't get what they ment until a few mintues later... Ah I'm still that huge.

ANYWAYS! I am asking for some help... any other mama have colicly babes and BF? What did you do that helped? 5 hours of crying a day is starting to tear me down and I already wear her for 10hrs of the day. Thanks for listening mamas

Advertisement

nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
tandemBFmamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A rant about colic, bf, my MIL, and tummy fab.

So sorry things are so hard right now. It will get better!!!! Please know that!!! Tell people to F**K off who ask when you're due! Excuse my language but please! I have 2 kids and look like I could be expecting another but am not! Our tummies aren't the same after pregnancy. I don't have experience with colic but I'm told that one day it's just over. Just like that. I'm sure the baby wearing helps so much and it would probably be so much worse if you weren't wearing her. Keep on BF and do what you feel is best for your baby. Tell your MIL that you are doing everything that your ped says to do. THat usually quiets the MILs. Good luck and sending lots of hugs your way!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
KCMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

You're doing a great job Mama! Keep it up and stay encouraged. My DD had colic for the first 8 weeks, then one night she slept 12 hours and woke up a new baby. She'll grow out of it. And NO, you're not doing anything wrong!
KCMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

My babe had colic and some nights I thought I would lose it. I searched high and low for a reason, a solution but nothing I tried worked and I still don't understand why he cried so much at that time of night. If you've experienced colic with your last child then you know it's not forever and of course it's not your fault! You are with that baby all the time, nursing and being there for her. You sound like a wonderful Mom.

If you can go to LLL meetings or someplace you can get together with like-minded moms who will encourage your choices. Finding other women in my life who have similar experiences helped me so much, in the same way that DS helps me. Keep fighting the good fight, it's hard being a mom!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

awww

My 1st had colic! and my mom said the same things 'you kids were never like this' I BF exclusively .. colic is hard, but you are likely over half way done with it! it should be gone by 3-4 months..

what i did that helped... babywearing was the main thing that helped us.. the more i wore her during the day the shorter her 'fussy (screaming) time' was .. i would wear her for 6-8 hours some days and it really seemed to help .. i didn't eat/not eat anything special ..

i would also suggest taking her to a chiropractor (who specializes in infants) .. its worth a try, i wish i had taken my colicy DD ..if i ever have another colicy baby i will be there in a second..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My colicy baby turned out to have reflux. They can have "silent" reflux and not actually spit up. My dd was just swallowing everything back down. Once we got her reflux under control, she was a whole new baby. It was amazing. And she grew out of it around 5 months.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
My colicy baby turned out to have reflux. They can have "silent" reflux and not actually spit up. My dd was just swallowing everything back down. Once we got her reflux under control, she was a whole new baby. It was amazing. And she grew out of it around 5 months.
I second this...my DS was the same. Also milk and soy made him worse. You would have to be off milk and soy (read labels!) for at least 2 weeks to now if it'll make a difference.

And flame away...I think colic is what the dr says when he doesn't want to do his job. There's nothing visibly wrong and he/she doesn't take the time to see if it is reflux or a milk allergy, etc.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
LoriT02
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
I second this...my DS was the same. Also milk and soy made him worse. You would have to be off milk and soy (read labels!) for at least 2 weeks to now if it'll make a difference.

And flame away...I think colic is what the dr says when he doesn't want to do his job. There's nothing visibly wrong and he/she doesn't take the time to see if it is reflux or a milk allergy, etc.

Someone told me this when my baby had colic. We took him to our doctor who ran many many tests on him. he did not have reflux, his blood levels were fine meaning he was getting all of his vitamins and mineral. he is not allergic to milk, soy, or any other food yet. The Doc did say some food alergies won't show up until 2 or 3 years of age.

So yeah after we spent a fortune, our son our grew it at the late age of 6 months.

Some babies do have reflux / food allergies, but to say that all colic babies have something wrong and the doc just won't check it out, really can make the parents feel bad.

So to the OP: if you want and haven't already ask your doc about these things and really in my opinion there is not much you can do for colic other than comfort your baby.
LoriT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
MarcieLynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally know what you're going through... My DD1 was "colicky" until nearly 8 months! First, I found that she was more comfortable laying on her tummy (which I know is not recommended). Second, know that it is ok to put baby down for a bit, even if she's screaming, to give yourself a "time out" if you need it. Hours and hours of listening to screaming can make you feel like you're losing your mind! And finally- and this one was a LIFESAVER for us- try the vacuum cleaner! One morning, DD1 was screaming- like usual. I needed to vacuum. I laid her in her bassinet and went about my vacuuming. By the time I was finished, she was asleep. It was amazing! Whenever she'd get really upset and difficult to console, we just turned the vacuum on. Loud, harsh white noise is what did it for her... Fans, the dryer- no way- those are much to quiet. She LOVED the vacuum!

Good luck, mama!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
MarcieLynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally know what you're going through... My DD1 was "colicky" until nearly 8 months! First, I found that she was more comfortable laying on her tummy (which I know is not recommended). Second, know that it is ok to put baby down for a bit, even if she's screaming, to give yourself a "time out" if you need it. Hours and hours of listening to screaming can make you feel like you're losing your mind! And finally- and this one was a LIFESAVER for us- try the vacuum cleaner! One morning, DD1 was screaming- like usual. I needed to vacuum. I laid her in her bassinet and went about my vacuuming. By the time I was finished, she was asleep. It was amazing! Whenever she'd get really upset and difficult to console, we just turned the vacuum on. Loud, harsh white noise is what did it for her... Fans, the dryer- no way- those are much to quiet. She LOVED the vacuum!

Good luck, mama!