Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
maddie&sophiesmom
Registered Users

Foremilk/Hindmilk Inbalance?

I am pretty sure that my daughter (5 weeks old) and I have this going on. She has all the symptoms - quick feedings (5-7 min), rapid weight gain, green mucusy diapers, etc. I have had the forceful letdowns.

My question is once you started the block feedings how long did it take for the diapers to get back to normal? Any other suggestions?

I also have cut out dairy from my diet just in case that is the problem. I also developed mastitis on Friday and am on an antibiotic, could that be causing her problems as well?

Advertisement

maddie&sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk Inbalance?

well, i'm not really sure about this, but my LO ate really really quickly and rapid weight gain and it's never been a problem (he ate so quickly that the nicu nurses kept trying to add extra to his feeding tube because he wasn't getting enough.....but when left alone, he gained weight perfectly even with the 5-10 minute feedings!.....imbalance was never worried about (and i'm guessing, if it were an issue, they would've worry about it more since he was a preemie, kwim?)
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
anneb2009
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had this with both - mostly b/c I have sooo much milk in the beginning. It made me crazy with my son (#1). With my daughter (now 4 months), I did one side per feeding, straight from the start, and everything has worked out. I'm now more balanced :-)

Oh, and I get mastitis at about the same time (3 weeks after my milk comes in). I don't think there should be any affect on the baby, even with meds...
anneb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
handmac
Registered Users

Hi,

Often a day or so of block feeding will get your supply "under control".

Also, offering one side per session, and then the second once the the first is "empty" helps to ensure more hind milk is getting to the baby.

And forceful let down - in another few weeks your baby will probably be just that bit bigger that it will no longer be an issue. We found leaning back in the lazy boy helped, or taking him off when I could feel a let down happening (great use for prefolds)

We were sputtering and gagging with let downs, and unhappy with a gassy belly until I started to work on the oversupply / imbalance.

hth

heather
handmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have a pump, you could also try pumping for a few minutes before feeding in order to pump out some of the foremilk leaving behind the hindmilk. You have to plan it out since if you wait for your baby to be hungry, she might get a little mad if you don't feed her. GL mama