Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Would you be ticked?

So the Saturday before Christmas my dh and I took our 5 month dd to do Christams early with his side of the family (whole 'nother story there). Anyway, there were 2 other kids there, a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Flash forward to the following Thursday when dh calls his mom to check in. She asks to speak to me and proceeds to tell me that the 7 year old came down sick on Sunday and was diagnosed Tuesday with Fifth's disease, just thought I should know. Fabulous! After I got off the phone a slow simmer started - why not call me Tuesday when she found out, or even Sunday when the 7 year old popped up sick. I'm not entirely convinced she even would have called if we hadn't have checked in with her! My dh talked to her this past Saturday and gave her an earlful but she couldn'e quite understand why we would be upset she said "Well, I thought she wouldn't be sick yet". Nice! Perhaps a heads up would be considerate so when my dd wakes up covered in a rash I know what it is and don't freak out! Never mind the fact that my dh and I have never had it either to anyones knowledge....Sorry for the novel but I'm still a bit peeved. For someone who loves their grand-daoughter so much I would expect a bit more.

Advertisement

ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would you be ticked?

Yes I would be P/O!

I hope your DC does not get sick!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I'd be peeved, yes, but stuff like that happens a lot in my family. I'm constantly treating other family member's kids like they have the plague. It seems that someone always has a runny nose or a croupy cough.
Would it be too much to ask for you to keep your sick kids away from family functions where there will be other kids? It seems it's too much to ask in my family.
But that's just my own personal rant....
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And just wanted to add - I'm not ticked that the 7 year old got sick (that's just how my luck runs) and I know my dd is going to exposed to all sorts of icks and can't live in a bubble. But for pete's sake, at least let me know that I might wake up to a screaming, rashy, itchy child so that I won't freak out (I'm a first timer so everything is new to me) and run to the ER. BTW, so far she seems to be fine....
ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, we always get a call that so and so came down with whatever, just as a head's up.
Someone should have told you when that 7 y/o got sick because I'd freak if I woke up to a rash and all that one day. Esp. not knowing what it was!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

i have to admit I'd be irritated. Not too pissed because stuff like that happens and with the holidays, I'm sure they just weren't thinking totally. I know for me, when something happens to my children or one comes down sick, I don't all exactly get on the phone and start calling people immediately. It's more of an afterthought a few days later but it's not a malicious attempt to withhold information on my part either... I'm just busy with sick children, kwim? So I don't think anyone was being mean and I understand your frustration as to why no one bothered to call.

With that said, I hope your little one doesn't come down with it. Kids are more resilient than we think.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

what is fifth's disease?
i am sorry they didn't give you all a heads up before the visit, that is horrible, i hope your baby doesnt come down with anything:hugs;
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I would be upset, too. A family member once brought her son to a family function and said, "Oh, yeah, he has pink eye." He was too young not to spread it around. I was seeing red. Unfortunately, though, no one will probably ever do

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Sorry, wrong button. I just wanted to end by saying I've learned to let ALOT of stuff go, otherwise I'd be a seething ball of fire...Good luck!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would most definatly be PO'd! I think its only respectful to try and alert other parents when your DC is sick (esp w/ something SO HIGHLY contageous and an INFANT!) and they've been exposed. It stops the spread to everyone else which is how SO MANY bugs get around! I personally have been on both ends of this and its sad when you KNOW your baby is gonna get something nasty and now you can't do a thing about it OR protect the people who you've been in contact with. I know there is a timeline when its contageous and spreadable and when its not gonna make a difference and you can easily ask the Ped and know WHO to call. The holidays are notoreous for spreading illnesses with all the parties and kids and lack of babysitters but she's just a little baby, you should be warned!!