Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: I have four months to get this kid to drink from a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
I personally see no hard from him drinking out of a bottle. Why is it ok for babies who BF to nurse until they are 3+, but yet FF babies are expected to be off the bottle when they turn 1? I don't get it!! I would follow your ds' lead and if he isn't ready than don't push it! My
I completely and totally agree...it drives me CRAZY when people tell me that Mikey needs to off teh bottle at one and when I tell them we'll see they start to spew all sorts of garbage about waiting till he's three+ is ridiculous age to still be using a bottle I say he'll giv eit up and move on when he is ready!!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Thanks mamas for all the ideas. I'm sitting here taking notes from all of you, literally.

I feel the same way! I see nothing wrong with it in theory, but I did find out that when they're drinking out of a bottle the liquid floods their mouth but with breastfeeding, the BM goes to the back of the throat. And with a sippy, it apparently doesn't touch their teeth either. But I don't really get how. LOL

But don't worry... I won't push him at all. I'm very NOT pushy so I guess I just felt like I should, I don't know, get *one* of those milestones in? Everyone says that I help him too much and baby him to much. He still takes a bottle, still uses a "pacer" at night and naps, doesn't know how to spoon feed himself, yada yada.

Anyway, thanks for the support mamas - I feel a lot better about it now.
My mom gave me a bottle forever and my teeth never came in crazy and I have never had cavities, which people like to claim is becasue the bottle fills the mouth up with formula and rots the teeth...I say thats is BS I thinks its genetics...Mikey can drink from a sippy cup pretty well, but his favorite and the only one he will take is the SIP RITE from Evenflo in the new line of ELAN bottles...but he LOVES his bottles and dont see him quitting his bottles anytime soon and I dont plan on making him either cuz it comforts him....
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranbutterfly View Post
have you tried the nuby sippys? the ones that are really soft and are silicone, like a bottle? I personally didnt like them much, but they may work in tyou situation. Not to sound harsh, and I understand your LOs needs, but my cousin is 8, and STILL takes a bottle, and is embarrased by that fact, but wont give it up. Your LO may not have that problem, but...I would try my best to get rid of the bottle ASAP. Just my 2 cents (I'm to lazy to find the smilie thingie)
Holy COOOOW. I've never heard of that! I thought my sister was uber late giving up the bottle and she was only like 3. I wouldn't never let it get that far, that's rediculous. An 8 year old can understand, kwim? But I know Bram doesn't at all. So I feel bad.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I sexond the nuby idea - dd wa shaving a hard time letting go of the bottle, so we used the nuby as an intermediary stage. Nuby also makes a straw sippy, but it just confued dd - she was learning to tip the other sippies back to drink, but the straw sippy had to stay uprgith while she sicked. Of course, she was 12 months or so old at the time and an older child might get the difference better than she did. You can get them t wal-mart or k-mart and sometimes at target.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably said 100 times, but have you tried the walmart brand sippies? at 10 months we gave miranda one of those after numberous "playing" episodes with every other kind of sippy.. she took it. I got rid of bottles at 12 months, and she hasn't looked back.

on her second birthday she figured out how to drink from a straw, so now we have mostly straw sippies. she still doesn't know how to drink from a actual cup.

I wouldn't push it. No "goal" of 4 months.. you'll most likely just be disapointed. He won't go to college with it.. I say that you just keep offering different types, different times of the day..

as for using his limitations as an Excuse, you just gotta ask yourself.. if he didn't have "special needs" would he still be on the bottle at 2 years old?

Oh and by the way.... miranda just resently started sitting up more with her sippies. I don't remember her sitting up ever with the bottle...
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

YOu know you can have Brams dad bring you some of the child cups and lids home and some straws too if that works!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For Jackson (who just started drinking out of one 2 days ago) I got one of those Playtex first Sipsters (soft spout) and had to drink out of it and get some juice between the stopper and holes so he could taste it, once he did, he sucked on it and got stuff out. Since then he knows what to do. You might try taking the stopper out completely if that wouldn't choke Bram up.

I am just totally in love with your avatar! He's beautiful!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
I personally see no hard from him drinking out of a bottle. Why is it ok for babies who BF to nurse until they are 3+, but yet FF babies are expected to be off the bottle when they turn 1? I don't get it!! I would follow your ds' lead and if he isn't ready than don't push it! My
Please don't shoot the messenger.....
The reason "they" recommend that baby be off a bottle by ~1 is that a sucking from a bottle can cause dental issues (jaw formation etc. along w/the pooling issue mentioned earlier) where nursing actually is supposed to be beneficial for dental and jaw formation.
FWIW, I've also heard the same thing about babies that suck their thumb or finger or paci past ~1 yr soooo.......

That being said, if he's not ready, he's not ready and pushing won't help. Let him lead you!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmakes5 View Post
Please don't shoot the messenger.....
The reason "they" recommend that baby be off a bottle by ~1 is that a sucking from a bottle can cause dental issues (jaw formation etc. along w/the pooling issue mentioned earlier) where nursing actually is supposed to be beneficial for dental and jaw formation.
FWIW, I've also heard the same thing about babies that suck their thumb or finger or paci past ~1 yr soooo.......

That being said, if he's not ready, he's not ready and pushing won't help. Let him lead you!
Thanks. I wish I WERE still nursing (or even got the hang of it for that matter) because that would make things so much easier. LOL

My next baby isn't to TOUCH a bottle EVER.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I'd give straw cups a try. My oldest two wanted nothing to do with sippy cups, but did awesome with straw cups.

Good Luck!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote