Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
big sky
Registered Users

cue sign??

i have basically no idea when my baby needs to pee, i just use timing... and though she does fairly well, i wish i could know from her when i need to take her to pee. ive read books and she just doesn't seem to make any consistant cue, so my question is can I teach her a cue somehow like sign language. she is 5months old?? what signs do babies this age usually make to let their parents know they need to go. any ideas or a way to teach her to make a cue that i know!

Advertisement

big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
R055ANA
Registered Users

Re: cue sign??

hi there!
What we did w/ my DD was say the SSHHHH sound when she peed. Actually I do it when I offer the potty. My 11mnth DD doesn't say that sound back to me but it does tell her you can pee now. Have you introduced the SSShhh sound?
Another thing that I mean to start and haven't is the sign language sign for potty.
Sometimes the signs babies give are really subtle and hard to identify so try not to be too hard on yourself if you don't see the cues. If she isn't doing it now that's not to say that she won't start in a wk or mnth.
Take care,
Rossana
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:

my ds was able to do the potty sign back to me at around 7 months I'd say. But, don't stress about it. Until that age I did just what you're doing, by timing, and he would do pretty well. The most important thing is that they're beginning to understand what the potty is and what they're doing on it. EC'ing seems to be up and down anyways. Two steps forwards, 3 steps back, lol. My ds is now not going at all as he's crawling everywhere and not interested in the potty. But, I'm trying to get over my laziness and still work with him because I know that he understands.

Jeanine Catholic, wife to dh (4-28-07), semi-nonvaccing, NFP, home schooler, mommy to J (9-12-08) B (12-9-11) and due 4-28-13 with #3
joeymomrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

did anyone mention the ASL sign for potty? put your thumb between your 1st and 2nd fingers (the letter T in ASL) and shake it back and forth a little. I've heard you can get a sign back from your LO as early as 7 months. That early the potty sign probably will just look like shaking his hand but its a start!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
big sky
Registered Users

i do use the ssssss sound when she goes, but i want her to tell me she needs to go.. im going to start do the asl sign and see if she starts attempting it in the next few months. i talked with a friend who ec'd 3 children and she said her children didn't start signing it to her (in their own way) till 7-8months so im not worried anymore. im still hopeful!
big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
lilychic4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fantastic tip! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
did anyone mention the ASL sign for potty? put your thumb between your 1st and 2nd fingers (the letter T in ASL) and shake it back and forth a little. I've heard you can get a sign back from your LO as early as 7 months. That early the potty sign probably will just look like shaking his hand but its a start!
lilychic4 is offline   Reply With Quote