Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have four months to get this kid to drink from a cup

When DS was 6 months, we intruduced a cup because that's what you're "supposed" to do but he thought it was a toy no matter what I tried (and I tried almost everyday for like 2 months). So then I put it off until 12m. But then we scheduled surgery that would leave him on his back in a spica cast for 8 weeks so I put it off again. And then after that, we had to wait for him to sit up again. By the time he could, I was like well, lets just wait until 2 years, no big deal. But now I have four months until our "goal" and he still doesn't know how to drink sitting up. He just doesn't get it. If I hand him a bottle, he immediately lays down. I've tried sitting him up on the couch but he just pushes back until he can drink. And that's just the beginning. He still thinks cups are toys and still doesn't get how to drink out of them. I guess there's not really anything I can do right now, just wait until he's ready? I guess I just need reassurance more than anything... but is it ok to use "well he can't walk" or whatever as an excuse for still giving him a bottle???? I feel bad when I use his limitations as excuses for why I haven't fixed a problem.

Blah. Thanks for letting me vent.....

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:
Re: I have four months to get this kid to drink from a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
When DS was 6 months, we intruduced a cup because that's what you're "supposed" to do but he thought it was a toy no matter what I tried (and I tried almost everyday for like 2 months). So then I put it off until 12m. But then we scheduled surgery that would leave him on his back in a spica cast for 8 weeks so I put it off again. And then after that, we had to wait for him to sit up again. By the time he could, I was like well, lets just wait until 2 years, no big deal. But now I have four months until our "goal" and he still doesn't know how to drink sitting up. He just doesn't get it. If I hand him a bottle, he immediately lays down. I've tried sitting him up on the couch but he just pushes back until he can drink. And that's just the beginning. He still thinks cups are toys and still doesn't get how to drink out of them. I guess there's not really anything I can do right now, just wait until he's ready? I guess I just need reassurance more than anything... but is it ok to use "well he can't walk" or whatever as an excuse for still giving him a bottle???? I feel bad when I use his limitations as excuses for why I haven't fixed a problem.

Blah. Thanks for letting me vent.....
Oh no! *hugs*
I had this problem with my DD, only she doesn't have the special needs your LO does. She just did not want to drink out of a cup, no matter what we did!

We ended up just getting rid of her bottles all together, and she had no choice...but I don't think that would work in your LO's case...

Have you tried possibly taking a bit of what you have put into the cup, and put a bit of it on the cup itself? On the spote? (I can't spell LOL the part where the child drinks out of?) ... does that work ?

But I really would not feel bad about this.. I know as parents we try our best, but im sure your LO will drink out of a cup when he's ready. Think of it this way, he won't be in school and with a bottle!

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

mama, just follow him, when he's ready for a cup then try them again
Danae drinks fomr sippys and refuses the bottle, she never liked it form the beginning but is now almost 2 years old, next month and we are using a cup but i dont give her a cup alone because she'll spill it but she tries it and we only put water in it, just try water and if he doesnt show interest then hold it off, dont let anyone, dr's/family make you feel like he "should" be doing anything at this age, he knows what he wants to do and you as the mama know when to introduce new things
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Is he interested in drinking from a straw? I realize you don't want to push soda from a fast food place, but I am wondering if you have a cup from mcdonalds or such, if that would entice him to try it. They have straw sippys as well. Maybe when you are drinking from a cup w/water in it, offer it to him to drink like you. I am not sure what your ds dissability is, if he is getting services for that, you might ask about help w/the cup. I wouldn't worry what others say about him using a bottle, he will use a cup and this struggle will be behind you.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Noah is the same way! You should try a juice box NOAH shocked me he got it right away!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I personally see no hard from him drinking out of a bottle. Why is it ok for babies who BF to nurse until they are 3+, but yet FF babies are expected to be off the bottle when they turn 1? I don't get it!! I would follow your ds' lead and if he isn't ready than don't push it! My
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't push it because he will only resist. Let him lead. On the other hand, offer it periodically, and possibly show him yourself drinking out of one of his cups??

Also, I second about the straw cups. we had one that was spill-proof, and could be used upright or tilted. DS started drinking from that at 10 months, and didn't use a sippy cup until he was 17 months! It was just a matter of preference for him.

When he did switch to a sippy, he would only use the gerber cups with the completely soft spout. Then he started taking the Nuby sport sipper (very similar to a bottle, so it might be a good way to start). It wasn't until he was 2 that he would use anything without a soft spout (and I'm not talking the formed with the soft outter. It had to be soft and flexible!)

HTH!! Good luck, and I wouldn't stress about it if I were you. DS is 27 months and still uses a paci when sleeping and in the car. Each child is different and has different needs. No one has the right to judge that!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
amanda308
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was a bottle boy so we accidentally left his bottle at his grandmas one night and never got it back. We then went to a straw in a cup and now he doesn't even ask for the straw anymore.
amanda308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for all the ideas. I'm sitting here taking notes from all of you, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermomcchr View Post
Is he interested in drinking from a straw? I realize you don't want to push soda from a fast food place, but I am wondering if you have a cup from mcdonalds or such, if that would entice him to try it. They have straw sippys as well. Maybe when you are drinking from a cup w/water in it, offer it to him to drink like you. I am not sure what your ds dissability is, if he is getting services for that, you might ask about help w/the cup. I wouldn't worry what others say about him using a bottle, he will use a cup and this struggle will be behind you.
I don't have any straws around here, but his dad works in a restaurant and they have kids cups there so I'll get him to bring one home. Actually, I don't really drink out of a regular cup myself... Our water here is not good to drink at all and since 99% of what I drink is water, I'm almost always drinking from a water bottle. We have tried to get him to drink like that, but very little of it makes it down and it makes him choke sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
Noah is the same way! You should try a juice box NOAH shocked me he got it right away!
Oh wow! That shocks me too, I may just have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
I personally see no hard from him drinking out of a bottle. Why is it ok for babies who BF to nurse until they are 3+, but yet FF babies are expected to be off the bottle when they turn 1? I don't get it!! I would follow your ds' lead and if he isn't ready than don't push it! My
I feel the same way! I see nothing wrong with it in theory, but I did find out that when they're drinking out of a bottle the liquid floods their mouth but with breastfeeding, the BM goes to the back of the throat. And with a sippy, it apparently doesn't touch their teeth either. But I don't really get how. LOL

But don't worry... I won't push him at all. I'm very NOT pushy so I guess I just felt like I should, I don't know, get *one* of those milestones in? Everyone says that I help him too much and baby him to much. He still takes a bottle, still uses a "pacer" at night and naps, doesn't know how to spoon feed himself, yada yada.

Anyway, thanks for the support mamas - I feel a lot better about it now.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 01-01-2007 at 05:59 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

have you tried the nuby sippys? the ones that are really soft and are silicone, like a bottle? I personally didnt like them much, but they may work in tyou situation. Not to sound harsh, and I understand your LOs needs, but my cousin is 8, and STILL takes a bottle, and is embarrased by that fact, but wont give it up. Your LO may not have that problem, but...I would try my best to get rid of the bottle ASAP. Just my 2 cents (I'm to lazy to find the smilie thingie)
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote