Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
whiteisle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ECing in winter?

How do you cover your LOs in colder weather? We use pfs right now which is super easy for on/off but it's also 90+ degrees so no need for much more clothing. But for colder weather I don't know how to work this. I'm just imagining having to put on a pf, a cover, and then some sort of pants and that seems like a lot of trouble for on/off.
And I just ordered more pfs and covers since he's growing so ridiculously fast and now I'm wondering if I messed up. Should I have gotton something different? BTW, my DS is 7 weeks old.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Maridel
Registered Users
seller

Re: ECing in winter?

I love baby legs!!! Also u could use wool and fleece longies so you eliminate one layer.
Maridel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

what about using split crotch pants? if you want to save $ you can make your own or just cut a whole in baby sweat pants. Sometimes people put the dipe on over the split crotch pants.

when my girls were tiny I would keep them in the sling with just a prefold and I sometimes put a sweater around the sling to keep them warm.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Isabella17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also suggest wool longies. Wool is warm and breathes very well. Makes for an awesome cover. If you have wool longies, it can be a cover and clothibg at the same time. Plus, knitted ones can be quite cute. I have knitted all of ours and have gotten a lot of compliments on how cute they are. We use pf's under them. I don't find that it takes too long to get them off but we are in the beginning of our EC journey.
Isabella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Entergently
Registered Users

Am a bit late, but your ds is about the same age as mine. He is my 5th kid that I have done EC with. He is right at 8 wks old and spends most of his awake time at home naked bum. If it was winter (like with my last ds) it would be the same, but being newborn he spends most of his time in the sling anyway, so that would keep him warm.

In the winter at home, I keep them naked and just put them in baby legs or child size tube socks (that you can pull all the way up the knee). Sometimes I will put old sweat pants on them, but they have never seemed to mind having a naked bum even in cooler weather. I have never bothered with split crotch etc.

When we go out with a newborn in the winter, for the first couple months, I just put a diaper on them because they go so often there is no way I am able to take them every time they have to go (though by 6 wks I have had them hold it for hours). I usually offer the potty when I can and every time I change them and if I feel they need to go and am unable to take them, I tell them to go in their diaper and I'll change them when I can. Once they get a few months old, and are stretching their legs out more, then it is easier to put them in waterproof training pants (like the kind from the EC Store, love those) and then I can just pull them up and down and take them to potty more often (which is how ds should be when the weather gets colder, since he will be older then). By the time my kids are 6mo we usually ditch diapers except for at night and just stay naked bum at home and use waterproof EC pants when out

Kelley
Sahm to Xian (8) Piper (6) Arah (4) Ever (2) and Thrace (5.26.09)
www.entergently.com
www.kozycarrier.com
Entergently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used babylegs alot. In fact we own 10....or 12. One or the other. But split crotch pants and "chaps" work good too. I would stick with fleece though, its inevitable that they will get pee on them.
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep, baby legs, or wool longies as a cover over a pf. it's still pretty fast.
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote