Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

how to make a cream sauce for a casserole from almond milk?

title says it all...i want to make asparagus casserole and want a creamy sauce (like cream of mushroom soup) but don't want milk/cream in it....i can substitute with almond or rice milk but almond is thicker...anyone know?

Advertisement

harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: how to make a cream sauce for a casserole from almond milk?

I usually grind up extra nuts (cashews is my preference, but I also use almonds sometimes) to make the 'milk thicker. I make a cream sauce (like a white sauce/bechamel) by putting 1/4c cashews or almonds in the blender and grind them up as fine as possible. Then I add 1 1/4 c almond milk and a half cup of water and blend until smooth. I also add in enough bouillon for 1 c. of liquid (I use half a knorr chicken cube), and blend some more. Then, I heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and add 2 tablespoons of flour to make a roux. Then I add the blended mixture and stir and cook until it's thickened. Then I season with salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. If you want a mushroom sauce, sautee the mushrooms first, then maybe add some onion and/or garlic and cook them until they're done to your liking. Then add a little extra oil and the flour. If the sauce seems too thick, then, thin it out with almond milk, and next time don't add as much flour. The cashews thicken and so does the flour. HTH-
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: how to make a cream sauce for a casserole from almond milk?

thanks!
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote