Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Users
If you had to supplement a nearly 4 month old...

My niece is 3.5 months old. She is EBF. It has been difficult for them from the start. Mom had inverted nipples, so they started with a shield. Baby has always been a slow gainer. She has worked with a lactation consultant all along. She has pumped, done lactation cookies, fenugreek, blessed thistle, essential oils, etc. Baby is gaining slowly, but gaining now. Mom has been back to work for almost a month now. She had a small milk stash from the pumping she did while on maternity leave to try to boost her supply. When she first went back to work, pumping was going well. She was staying very close to even with baby's consumption. The past week she has been pumping much less. She isn't sure why, but her pumping output has dropped significantly. She is continuing to nurse when she is with baby and pumping as much as possible, but is feeling like she is going to have to start supplementing soon. What would you give a 3.5 month old? What if she can keep up with baby for a couple more weeks and baby is then 4 weeks old? Also, I'd love to hear any ideas about why her pumping output during work hours would drop so much and fairly suddenly.

erin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: If you had to supplement a nearly 4 month old...

If I had to supplement I'd look into breast milk donation. There are a few regulated organizations out there but I'm yet to do the research. I personally would rather give my daughter donated milk than anything else.

I work about once a week and pump 3-4 times during my 12 hr shift. If I'm stressed out it takes over 10 minutes for my milk to really let down. Sometimes I pump for longer and still only get a couple ounces. I FaceTime my husband and daughter, look at pictures of my family, drink lots of water, and have a snack while pumping. Those things help most of the time.

Maybe mom can get up once in the middle of the night or early in the morning and pump to help build her stash in the freezer? I did that before I went back to work to increase my supply and build my stash.
Mich421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Registered Users

Has she attempted nursing one side while pumping the other side?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
Registered Users

I was in a similar situation with my DD. We ended up supplementing one bottle per day of donor breast milk, when available, and used formula other times. I could pump 10 oz and needed 15 oz per day. We used an organic formula. I supplemented on weekdays and was able to nurse DD on weekends without supplementing. She weaned at 2-1/2 years.

If she is not already using a hospital grade pump, it might be worth a try.
Mama to H (10.2010), H (03.2013) - our 15wk little guy born too soon, and looking forward to our rainbow due 05.2014. It's a boy!
Greenwife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Drink more water and try to hold out for another week or so- then she can try some rice cereal! Maybe that will help. Once you start supplementing it isn't the end of breastfeeding. She can supplement while working on supply and then when she is producing more again, stop supplementing.
lisslucier is offline   Reply With Quote