Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
PPD site

http://www.pndsa.co.za/ms-fc.htm

I'm not sure where to put this, so I guessed here.

I put this link in a response to another thread, but thought it was a good thing to have visible to all.

This is a site that has a survey for PPD. If you are at all questioning if you have it, I highly recommend this site. As someone who suffered PPD undiagnosed for 19 months, I got treatment after seeing this site.

If you have any questions about PPD for someone who has been there, feel free to PM me.

I hope this helps mamas get the help they need!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PPD site

That's a wonderful site with a great tool! Thanks for sharing!

HUGS to you. I've had an exteremly challenging time with PPD and was shown that site for reference. It was very helpful.

If you don't mind the hijack - this was my saving grace when DD was 7 months old. A kind mama from MDC told me about it.

For NW mama's - here is another site (it has great references for others too): there is even mama support groups in Portland, OR.

http://www.babybluesconnection.org/
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hijack away. That's really what this thread is about! I found the site very helpful, too. Unfortunately I'm falling back into it having not taken medication for a month. Yay, health insurance started this week! Sanity (or at least closer than I've seen in a while) is coming!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took the test and replied in the other thread....but think we could have a vent thread? A thread just for us come to and vent and lend support? i told my mom last night that I want to lay down in bed and ignore everything and just cry. I don't think about hurting myself or anyone else, but man...I'm at a breaking point and it just sucks. I'm miserable.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
debbidala
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for posting that link. I've been really struggling with the babies' sleep the past month or so, and it's wearing me down. I go back and forth about whether I'm really getting depressed or whether it's "just" sleep deprivation and will get better if I ever get some rest. I scored a 47 on the quiz, which says I should get help, but I'm really hoping not to take medication (bad experience w/antidepressants in the past), and I'm not sure if anything short of that would really help, yk?

Sorry to ramble on. I'd love a support thread, too!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Talking to a therapist may help. I loved going to therapy. I was very anxious about it at first, but once I started it was great. Someone who had to listen to everything I said and at least act interested! It gave me an hour a week to myself where I could listen to what I wanted on the way there and back, and have some "space." I also got a soft serve icecream/yogurt each week after therapy. It was really a "me" evening.

That alone may make an improvement. They also may be able to recommend some natural solutions?

The only other thing I can say is I will not go without medication again for a long time. I took my med last night for the first time in a month and today I was smiling again. Much calmer, and on my way to getting back to be me. I'm not saying that medication is right for everyone, but for me it is truly a chemical imbalance, and the medication makes all the difference in the world!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PPD support thread started. If there is enough interest, I will ask about making it a forum.

Please share your experiences. I only figured out that I was suffering PPD after reading another woman's experiences. Then it clicked. TIA~
Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I debated replying here but I know I have to start somewhere. I am not sure what to do - I don't have a sitter, which prevents 99% of the help I've looked into.

I scored a 104 on that quiz, and checked almost all of the red ones. :/ That really scares me to see it all on one page. It's making me cry.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Would you have anything against seeing a doctor about medication? I know there are other methods - but like you, there's nothing I can do either..I don't have a sitter or any money (like to sign up at the Y where I can do 'me' things and have the kids in their daycare). I was nervous about mentioning it to my doctor...but I just think ya know, ppd and somebody would want to take away my kids or not trust me or something. So I just explained to her that I thought I might have ppd because I'm very irritable..I have a short fuse...I'm angry/frustrated 24/7..and I don't feel like I've bonded or am bonding with ds#2 as I did with ds#1...and it's all because of my mood, I know it is. She started me on zoloft and I really did feel better, but something happened to my routine (can't remember what it was) and everything just flew out the window and I quit taking the zoloft. I started again last night because I NEED something. I DON'T want to be like this...for myself or for my kids. My mom was telling me last night that I need to enjoy this time because it goes so quickly...and I know that it does...but I'm having a really hard time enjoying anything because I'm so stressed and angry all of the time.

Anyway, my point is...that if you need to see a doctor, see a doctor. Take control of your health (mental) and do what you need to do to be healthy and happy. You deserve it.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I debated replying here but I know I have to start somewhere. I am not sure what to do - I don't have a sitter, which prevents 99% of the help I've looked into.

I scored a 104 on that quiz, and checked almost all of the red ones. :/ That really scares me to see it all on one page. It's making me cry.
ITA about seeing a Dr. if you're comfortable with it. The medication makes so much of a difference for me. My OB explained it to me that all sorts of systems can go crazy after you have a baby. For some people their thyroid gets out of wack, for some people their appendix, for others there becomes a chemical imbalance in the brain. The medication fixes that. He said it's like giving insulin to a diabetic to control the diabetes.

YOu may want to join the support thread, too! Kinda like group therapy any time of the day without having to leave the comfort of your home!