Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

s/o two year olds... is this normal?

Ok now I'm wondering if Hamish is too small... he's 24.5 lbs and I think 32" tall. He was 26lbs in Sept/Oct but has lost a little. My mommy sense tells me that he's ok. He's not too picky about food, except that he doesn't like to stay still long enough to eat much at the table. He's happy, not sick at all, very energetic etc... and quite smart for his age. He's just small.

What did he eat today...
bowl of shreddies 1/2 cup with milk
a banana
cup of milk in sippy

1/4 of a grilled cheese/ham sandwich
another banana

1/2 cup yogurt
about 1/2 cup of spaghetti
one cup juice (1/2 water 1/2 juice)

is that a good day's eating for a 2 yr old?

yeah... not many veggies today. the spaghetti sauce had some but H mostly picked out the meat "balls" and ate the noodles, and wanted parmesan cheese in the sauce.

Advertisement

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o two year olds... is this normal?

Landon (the little boy I care for) is 22 months and he weighs 24lbs and is around that in height to (though I'm not sure the exact number). I think he sounds fine. As long as he's eating, doesn't keep losing weight (I'd watch this closely though), and is generally happy and healthy, I think he's perfectly fine!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
AmyEm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2hamish View Post
My mommy sense tells me that he's ok. He's not too picky about food, except that he doesn't like to stay still long enough to eat much at the table. He's happy, not sick at all, very energetic etc... and quite smart for his age. He's just small.

This sounds just like my son! He was 24lbs at 2 yrs. I can't remember his exact height right but def. on the very low end of the growth chart.

I try not to worry about it b/c he seems to be doing fine (and our Dr isnt worried either) but sometimes it gets hard when people make comments about his size and just wont let it go! They do it with my DD too---who is BIG for her age.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I worried that my first dd was "too small," too but after 3 more kids, we just realized we have little peanuts. Some kids are grazers and eat more in little bits throughout the day instead of sitting still for bigger meals. Maybe have healthy stuff available to munch on more often. As long as he's healthy...

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
emcare
Registered Users
seller

Wow. If A ate that much in a day I would pass out from shock. Obviously she is a light eater.

She is small and her doc kind of gave me a hard time about it, but after talking to my grandmother (mom to 12!) she reasured me. She said that when she was growing up and having her first kids, the sign of a happy little toddler was a skinny little toddler. She said "they just got breast milk until they could eat steak". So that's kind of what I go by. She gets breast milk and a little solid food, but only when she is hungry and only what she wants to eat.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Thanks. We're going to try to offer more frequent healthy snacks... and weigh him again in a week or so.

I was thinking.... I could have weighed H before he did a big poop and that might have skewed his weight a bit. Holy smokes he poops! I told my mom this tonight, how much he ate and she was impressed. Then she commented that he def. has plenty of "product" for his dipes so not to worry...

We live in an area which seems to grow HUGE babies. H's previous babysitter had a son who was three months older than him. this boy weighed 30lbs at 6 months. He must be over 40lbs now and at least 4" taller than Hamish. He wear a size 9 in shoes and Hamish wears a size 5. It's interesting that the bigger kids around here can't keep up with Hamish as well though...

both my dh and I were always the smallest in the school until high school... well I am still only 5'2" but he's 6ft. Hamish comes by his size honestly.

Thanks for your responses.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Jenrose
Registered Users

I have a 21 month old who just hit 22 pounds, 30 inches and a size 2-3 shoe.

She eats like a horse. Constantly.
Jenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

I think he's doing great! My dd is 31 months old now and I wish she would eat the list you had in your first post. She is 37" tall and weighs 26lbs. It doesn't sound like you need to be concerned. If your baby is acting normally and continuing to grow (at least in height), everything is good. My peds were concerned about dd when she lost some weight with her reflux, but they told me that as long as she is still growing up and not falling off the chart too far she is ok.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

wow amazing!! he ate all that!!!
david doesnt even eat half of that during the day now i think he must be too skinny for his age now AHHHH
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapeyMom View Post
My dd is 31 months old now and I wish she would eat the list you had in your first post. She is 37" tall and weighs 26lbs.
Sounds like my dd! She is 34 months 35" and 27ish lbs. She was pretty big as a baby (keep in mind she was 17 days LATE), but really started dropping on the charts around 15 months. She has been pretty steady at around 25th percentile since 18 months so I am not worried. Plus, she is healthy and smart so I don't feel there is cause for concern. I am sure he is fine .
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote