Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
healing and preventing ear infection questions

My 15 month old son has frequent ear infections. I donít like taking him to the Dr. all the time, but when he gets sick it hits him so hard. I'd like to treat and prevent this naturally, but I need some help.

Would GSE and/or TTO help?

I'm trying to understand probiotics. I bought some powder that has 740 mg per 1/4 teaspoon dose, which is given 3 times a day for an adult. How much and how often should I give it to my son? Is it safe to even use it on a toddler?

I also bought some liquid Echinacea and goldenseal. It also contains yin chiao, different roots, aerial parts, bayberry bark, elder berry, honey and some other stuff. This is the only liquid Echinacea and goldenseal mix my health food store had. Is this ok for ds, or should it be just Echinacea and goldenseal? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Last edited by lisapoe; 01-13-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: update
lisapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear infection and pneumonia!

My DD (18mo) has an ear infection right now too. She coughs a lot at night when the drainage is poor and has thrown up a couple of times.

Hope your DS is better soon. I don't have any experience with tubes.

Melissa
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can completely understand. My DS had pneumonia at 12 weeks, it was just horrible. He was in the Childrens hospitol for 4 days and after that breathing machine.

He also had terrible ear infections for that first year, so having the family history that we do (I had them , my brother had tubes 4 times, and most of my cousins as well) I told my doctor to please put them in, I hated all the meds he was on all the time. I tell you its the easiest surgey. It was sad seeing him go in but he actually felt better that same day. He hasnt really had one since.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
sienna
Registered Users

My son had alot of ear infections the winter he was 2. We saw an ENT that spring, and he said we could wait and see if it repeated the following winter before we decided. It did not repeat. HE had maybe one infection that year, i'm glad we waited.

But, this ENT, at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (world famous, where Dr. NEwman trained) said that tubes will NOT prevent ear infections. They prevent severe and chronic infections, and can prevent the kid from getting infection related hearing loss. But you should also know that there is a risk of hearing damage with the tubes themselves.

Just so you know.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

mama,
ear infections are the worst IMO as you can't really do much to help and know it's so painful for them!
I hope he'll get better really soon!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
A'smommy
Registered Users

Have you done allergy testing? Something might be causing the "repeats" that you could take out of his environment.

Just a thought...GL!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Besides the allergys... It is best to at least try some herbal treatments before you give that baby rounds and rounds of antibiotics. It is also necessary to give him a probiotic. I went through CONSTANT ear infections with my little guy until I just said I am going to find an herbal way, and I did and he hasn't gotten them sense. PM me if you want to know what I used... I don't want to give you a recom. if you are not at least intrested in herbal stuff. BTW. I wasn't a believer until I saw it heal my son.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

for update and questions
Old 01-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the help Misti! He's over it. Now to keep him heathy. Please see my first post for questions I need help with. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS had 5 ear infections in 7 months. Got tubes and life has been MUCH better ever since!

That said, Jack's were definitely hereditary. DH and I had horrible ear problems as kids. Still do really...

I've heard something about garlic oil helping ear infections, but the mama hasn't gotten back to me on how.

Probiotics are awesome, but they won't help with ears. That's more of a... yeast thing. It makes sure the good bacteria you need stays in place. At least, I don't think it would help with ears at all. DS's been on probiotics. They help awesome with no yeast problems while on antibiotics.