Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:
how long did your 9 mos potty pause last?

So I've read lots of moms on here talking about when their LO's are at the 9month or so age of exploring their world and thus not going on the potty much. My ds is there. I wasn't catching anymore pees or poops so I've gotten lazy too and haven't put him on it much lately. I know every baby is different, but I'm curious as to other moms experiences with this age and how long is lasted. Did your LO just start going again on the potty or what did you do to help the process? I know about letting him go diaper free but my ds doesn't really crawl upright yet...he kind of slithers all over the place and fast too so I don't feel comfortable letting him drag his boy parts all over the house. My floors aren't that clean!

Advertisement

Jeanine Catholic, wife to dh (4-28-07), semi-nonvaccing, NFP, home schooler, mommy to J (9-12-08) B (12-9-11) and due 4-28-13 with #3

Last edited by joeymomrn; 07-20-2009 at 05:52 PM.
joeymomrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
R055ANA
Registered Users

Re: how long did your 9 mos potty pause last?

hi there!

My DD is about 11mnths and we aren't exactly in a potty pause but I do notice her resisting the potty at times when I know she needs to go.

Here what I do when I know she has to go and refuses:
I try different places. She likes to pee outside so I will go out front and try to get her to pee out there. Of course my other kids like going outside at that moment also and then if there is too much going on my baby won't go. Basically there are fun places to pee that I use sometimes when she won't pee in the standard place.
I wear her in the carrier. She is less likely to pee if she is being held in the carrier.

Sometimes I will try to offer DD a special toy to play with while on the potty.

Are there any times of the day where your son may be more receptive to sitting on the potty, like first thing in the AM?

What about dad trying to potty him? Maybe with a different person he might be more willing to go.

Best wishes,
Rossana
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
ccpowell05@hotmail.com
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My most successful approach was to pretend that it wasn't a big deal to me. The times they stopped going in the potty a lot...as soon as they "went" in the potty, I'd overexagerate how happy I was. When they decided to just pee on my floor, I'd just not say anything and put them on the potty (all with a smile). This age is when kids are just so excited that they're finally able to move about! It took my kids until about 12 months before they stopped avoiding the potty and actually started taking the time to "go" on the potty
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your responses : ). I have heard that by about 12 months babies are more receptive again so I guess that's partly why I've been lazy. But, I don't want him to forget so I know I should keep trying even if he resists. Is so challenging right now. I guess I just have to kick myself in the butt and do it. lol. I did try putting the bblp in our family room and then I've tried him on the actual potty with an insert. Neither of those worked. He used to pee first thing in the mornings alot. That was his best time. Now I can't get him to even go then. He smiles and sits there for a while. But, nothing happens. He doesn't go right away when I put him in the diaper either. It seems like its about 20 min to 30 min after I put him in a new diaper then he goes...just in time for me to be less attentive. I think I'll try the dad approach too. Anything different at this point. I haven't tried a special toy, just a toy. Maybe i'll try that too. Thanks!

Jeanine Catholic, wife to dh (4-28-07), semi-nonvaccing, NFP, home schooler, mommy to J (9-12-08) B (12-9-11) and due 4-28-13 with #3

Last edited by joeymomrn; 07-21-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
elsieme
Registered Users

Just wondering - can anyone tell me what their LO was doing (developmentally) when the pause hit? My dd has just learned to crawl and stand by pulling up and is rapidly becoming far far too busy to sit on the potty or even let me know if she peed. I'm hoping this is what they call the 9 month pause that's just hit us early (she's 7 mo).
elsieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:

yeah, ours started earlier than 9 months but its was around then, maybe 8 months or so. My ds was just starting to crawl and really exploring his world. Hes 10 months now and it has only gotten worse. It is frustrating but I'm just trying to relax and take it as it comes. I know that he understands still because once in a while I'll still catch something, even just a little bit, lol. I'm sure it starts at different times for each baby but if your LO is getting really active, then that's the time it can start.