Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

AIO vs. Pocket diaper

tell me which you prefer (or what about each you prefer). I have really only used pocket diapers but am thinking of getting a few AIOs. I know they would seem to be easier than pockets b/c you don't have to stuff, but you can adjust absorbency with pockets. what else am I missing?

Advertisement

3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like pockets better...I struggled with getting the AIOs clean and they took forever to dry.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: AIO vs. Pocket diaper

I've always loved my pockets... custom absorbancy and they will last longer since they don't have to go in the dryer. It gets weary stuffing pockets, and I did just get some BGEs. I'm liking them so far, but a little worried they will age quick since they take so long to dry in the dryer. We'll see how they hold up.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Mama2LilBug
Registered Users

I only have one AIO (BG elemental) and I really like it. I like that I can hang it in such a way that allows all the layers to dry faster (usually dry overnight, but we live in a very arid climate). However, I personally am not a fan of AIOs/Pockets in general. I prefer prefolds/prefitteds/flats with a cover. I don't like having to remember to bring a cover if I'm using the BGE and need to do a change away from home. But that's strictly a personal preference.
Lindsey, wife to Pilot J & mama to K (11/12/10), expecting #2 (11/14/13)!
Mama2LilBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I prefer AIOs. I started off with all pockets, then tried an AIO & it was so much better, not stuffing pockets and unstuffing soiled inserts. There are AIOs that you can add absorbency to. Swaddlebees Simplex 2.0 have a pocket, Thirsties new aio has a tunnel, BGEs & Freetimes have space to add doublers, etc. (I like the Hemp Babies doublers for zero added bulk.)
My real love, though, are covers & inserts/padfolded flats. I love Flips & Fluffy's with either Flip stay dry inserts, Flip organics, Thirsties hemp pfs, or padfolded flats laid in. Super easy, quick drying, & completely customizable.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I like pocket fb os because I can change fast the absorb fluff. Easier to clean & I truely not see yet any true all in ones that you don't stuff & that are all sewn in to middle. I hear from sis in law they took forever to dry & leaked if not changed in time because one absorb layer & u couldnt add well to hold more potty. Mine don't take long at all because they are separate. Sis in law said hers stank too I think more than pocket. Depends on u though on how clean looking & work to get clean. I can take apart & clean each thing separately rather than trying to get poo stain
from under another the top layer & all.not much work really even though I rinse poor out hefore prewash even.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Funny thing. Right now our stash is fully 75% AIO (BGE) for DH/DCP ease (the rest is fitteds, fleece, flips, and thirsties hemp pf's). I managed to narrow down the field of AIO's to just BGE's for various reasons (they fit DD best, some other AIO's we had laundry issues with, love snaps and OS, etc). However, we have had rash issues in the past that I am at least partly convinced were due to AIO's being more difficult to clean. Not to mention BGE's take a long time to dry.
For #2 (and we're not even TTC but YES, I think about this) I will go with pockets instead. Probably Applecheeks or BG4.0's due to snaps, OS/2-size, and not having to unstuff (Applecheeks are designed to un-stuff in the wash, and apparently many mamas say that 4.0's do the same thing). I thought that stuffing would drive me crazy at first, but now I know that I kinda enjoy diaper laundry while watching bad tv
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I searched high and low for an AIO that I felt I could depend on and that had an aplix option. No success. The two AIO's that mom's consider very absorbant are BGE and Swaddlebee Simplex OS, with Grovia ranking pretty good as well. None have an aplix option. If that doesn't bother you, then those are a few you can trust (grovia is less liked because it's not good for chubby thighs). There's also the freetime, which is absorbant, but it's just a weird diaper (flaps, and also is microfiber.. ick). I've just decided that pockets are awesome because they are bulletproof (not all, but most)... BG 4.0 and Blueberry are my fav, not super trim, but oh well.... You can use pockets at night too.

Flips are such a good option too if you don't like stuffing.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I our BGEs for overnights and going out. I use them over our BG 4.0s
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Daisychain77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both pockets (FB, BG) and AIOs (BG Elementals) and reach more for the Elementals, not necessarily because they're easier. I like the Elementals for their softness and absorbancy, though the pockets are nice because you can customize your inserts. I don't mind the stuffing. Hubs, though, is a fan of the cover/insert system (Flip being his preferred). I am still not sold on the Freetimes. We've been CDing for 3 years, and microfiber will have stink issues at some point. So, you just have to balance what's most important to you. It's nice to have a variety, though!
Daisychain77 is offline   Reply With Quote