Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Overnight pull up alternative for almost 5 year old girl

*Sigh* frustration

DD #1 still can't stay dry at night consistently. I am done buying pull ups and have been making her sleep in her regular underwear with a wide washable waterproof pad under her.

She is in the top of the bunk bed and DS (just turned 3, daytime and nighttime potty trained, wouldn't have an accident for apparently any reason, started staying dry at night as soon as he was day trained.) is on the bottom bunk.

Every morning this PREGNANT mama has to pull the top mattress down, strip it (pee pad, sheets, waterproof mattress pad) and wash it all. She never stays on the waterproof pad and I always have to wash everything, including her pillow, an the occasional lovey, and usually a blanket, because she wraps herself up in one at night. And every evening I have to make the bed back up only to start all over again.

Liquid restriction doesn't seem to make a Difference, although LEMONADE goes right thru her and is prohibited at supper time or after for that reason. I am considering night waking her myself, but am not thrilled with messing up a perfect 10 hour sleeper by messing with her. I am convinced she is peeing early in the morning when she SHOULD just get up and go, but I am thinking part of it is lazy and part of it is sleeping too hard. She gets both of those traits from her daddy

When training my son I used Kushies training pants as they held wonderfully, 100% of the time. I am seriously considering buying a couple in her size And Trying them. I want something to help contain the mess (web If just to the pee pad) and also something comfy enough that she won't take them off (because she will, and that defeats the purpose)

Has anyone used those or any other washable training pants successfully overnight? Something with PUL protection like an AIO without padding to be added or extra plastic pants to cover.

Just thought I would get some
Advice before buying in case there is a better alternative.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Re: Overnight pull up alternative for almost 5 year old girl

I'm currently using Super Undies Nighttime Undies on my twin 6 year olds as well as Happy Heinys Training Pants.

The Happy Heinys are basically a pocket diaper that can be pulled up/down. It's quite pouffy, especially the version without snaps but my girls have never complained about discomfort (then again they don't seem to care really so maybe they're not the best examples). These are the least expensive, especially if you already have some pocket inserts you could use inside.

The Super Undies are also nice and don't require stuffing. Again seem very comfy to me, less pouffy than the Happy Heinys. In theory they don't need anything extra but you can add absorbency fairly easily if required.

I've also used the Mother-ease Bedwetter pants and they worked well as long as nothing could creep inside to cause wicking (fairly baggy fleece pants would help a LOT!). They're quite bulky though and weren't enough absorbency for my twins (though they were fine for my son).

HTH,
Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
angelacez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 5 year old is still wearing my pocket diapers, but he's super skinny. I'm going to look into something more pull up like as well. I hope you find something!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

Fashionably Green Baby, all the way! You can reuse the outer shell and just snap in a new insert each night (no stuffing, so nice). Saves a ton, cause all you need is one shell and 2 or 3 inserts if you're only using them at night. Here is the link!

And keep being a patient Mama with your little one. I'm speaking for all the bed-wetters out there, past and current, when I say sometimes bladders just don't mature as fast as we wish they would. I wet the bed until I was 7 or 8 years old. Believe me, if I could have stayed dry, I would have! My oldest daughter was 8 before she finally started staying dry every night. She prayed every night that she would stay dry, but it took years! I have a 6 year old who is 50/50 trained at night, but she would love to wear panties at night like a big girl.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

I did not post this twice! I'm innocent, I tell ya!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

My daughter recently turned five. I use Tinkle Time Trainers for her. I have the pocket version because I like quick dry, but I think you can get them in AIO versions as well. I think Ladder Hills Designs is thr original creator of the pattern, so you can buy from there. The pattern is also sold to others to make. I bought mine from Squeezie Cheeks. My daughter picked out her own patterns for thr fabrics, so maybe that's something your daughter would like to do.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Chriscia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 1/2 year old has the same problem. She can not go a night without having an accident. We were using pullups, but I am sick of them going through the wash (YUCK), so I decided to buy some pocket diapers. She is able to pull them up and down to go in and go potty. Once she starts to stay dry sometimes I think I will pull out the absorbancy so she actually feels wet. My almost 4 year old wakes up dry about 50% of the time, so we will try doing the same with her. So frusturating, but I understand that they cant control it.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babyworks.com just stocked Nikky All Night Pants!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the ideas! When I looked at all of them, many of them reminded me of the Stellar Transitions Pattern, which I own and have made for home sew. But when I made them in a 2T when she was potty training, they leaked like crazy and weren't even worth wearing. I am wondering if I can possibly devise one of those with enough absorbency to last overnight. I am thinking I might try before I go spending $25 on one nighttime trainer. But I will never forget all the time and effort and supplies (I HATE FOE) that went into sewing them and how disgusted I was when they did nothing for us. This is why I was so hoping that there would be a $15- or so trainer that would work. I do like the Fashionably Green Baby but we have dance recital next week AND my son is in a wedding so we have a tux rental to finish paying for and also a wedding gift.... ack. So new trainers that cost that much just aren't in the cards as of now. Maybe in the meantime I will try to sew something and test it out. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

If you already have inserts then the Happy Heinys would be in that price range...

Karen
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote