Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Quick ? re: Borax

I'm using Borax for the first time in my wash right now (I posted earlier about having serious ammonia issues, and this is about the only thing I haven't tried yet.)

Anyway, when I used to do diaper laundry, I used about a tablespoon of Tide. You could tell there was soap in the wash, but it wasn't real sudsy. I recently switched to Sport-Wash, and 1/4 capful made a whole lot more bubbles. I just did the 1/4 cap of Sport-Wash with 1/2 cup of Borax and there were no suds at all in the machine. Is that normal? Is that what Borax does? Please, oh please let this work!!!!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
wmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Quick ? re: Borax

Boy, I'm not sure. I just used Borax for the first time yesterday, too (also having smell issues). Last night's diaper wasn't odorless this morning, but not as bad as it can be. I have to say the thing that I've tried that has worked the best has unfortunately been bleach. I finally tried a small amount on my inserts, and he doesn't stink in the morning after wearing those ones. I don't want to do that very often, though, and I don't think the effect lasts long. OTOH, I don't think it's too terrible on inserts, especially since I'm only using a little splash--I even tried putting a colored fitted, and an PUL pocket I don't care for in there, and neither of them came out looking any different at all. So, I used to think bleach was evil, but now I guess I'm thinking it's better than the stank we were having.

Report back how the borax worked for you. I'm not sure I used it right--accidentally soaked in hot, rather than warm, and I'm worried that could have cooked the pee in, kwim?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use borax quite often, but have no idea about suds or anything....sorry.
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Borox is a mineral I think. Anyway, it was originally found in a river bed perhaps in the rocks by the indians (just wait, somebody will find out the TRUE history behind this and mine is a dream!) LOL but it is found to BOOST your laundry detergent. Ok that part isn't a dream

I use a tiny bit of detergent and then I dump borox in there and I have been able to stay away from the stinkies
Old 05-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried using more soap then letting it run a second time on empty? I have a front loader and what borax does is pound the heck out of your clothes and it would be worse with a front loader I would think. I think it is for cleaning, not for oder. I also heard that a mama washed just the inserts alone with a little bleach and that helped get rid of the stinkys for a while.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The absolute best thing I have found for stinkies is Dawn dishsoap. I have tried the bleach route, but never the borax. The bleach worked for about two times wearing the dipes then the stinkies were back. I now include Dawn in every full load. You have to rinse more, but it is gentler on your dipes. If the borax doesn't work give Dawn a try (just the regular kind with no moisturizers)
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

imo I wouldn't use the dawn if you have a front loader, it would probably ruin your machine.

I have to try the borax, I was using bleach every once in a while but I use microfiber and microfbire inserts don't like bleach too much so I do try to avoid it. Hopefuly the Borax works cause I hate the stink too.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I bought Borax yesterday and washed the dipes w/it. I didn't check for bubbles or anything though, I just washed them like I usually do, hot/cold followed by cold/cold.
I'll see today if it helped any with the stink issue!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
Tyrity
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use a small amount of detergent (about 1/4 of the cap if that) and a 1/3 cup of borax and that seems to be helping my dipes stay away from the stinkies, but then again I do about 4 extra rinses to make sure everything is out of the dipes
Tyrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a FL, but I have tried Dawn before and it didn't help. Well, my dipes looked clean and smelled like nothing, so I'm going to try them today and see if it helped! Cross your fingers for me!