Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
finn's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
The Wrong Attitude?

My MIL just called to let me know I was going to ruin my son (today rocks all ready). I guess it really irks DH's side that DS carries Piglet (a stuffed lovey) around. I was told to buy him a truck. We have trucks, they aren't cuddly . And it wasn't my idea to make pigs pink. Recently I let DS pick out his own sweater at the store, he picked a Piglet one. While I think he is adorable in anything, and as long as he is happy then I am ok, the in-laws criticize. I don't want him to grow up and feel that what he "likes" is "wrong". They often say things like "you don't need that, you are a boy" or "mommy is turning you into a girl". Yes DS has a baby doll, and a play kitchen, and a doll house (the LP one, that's blue), but he has cars and trains, and tools too. Am I naive in my thinking?
He is my first, so I find I am a real pushover when it comes to buying him things he likes.
He is also my model for the tutus I make for friends daughters

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Wrong Attitude?

I would tell them all to butt out. There is nothing wrong with boys playing with all kinds of toys. My boys had dolls and stuffed loveys, and trucks and dinosaurs. Its none of their business what he likes.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is nothing wrong with his liking piglet or dolls, and it means nothing about the boy/man he is going to be. Who would want to cuddle with a hard truck when they're tired?

I help at a local fair in the fall and it drives me nuts when dads don't let their sons pick the pink or purple prizes because it's girly.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also let my daughter play with tools, so am I going to turn her into a boy? That is just silliness.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness. I am doomed. My son nurses all of his babies and then swaddles them and puts them to sleep.

But.......... he also plays with lots of "boy" toys (right along with Kate).

Seriously mama, you are doing great!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
finn's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedChris View Post
I also let my daughter play with tools, so am I going to turn her into a boy? That is just silliness.
This is exactly my attitude. If I had a girl she would wear blue and have cars and stuff too.

I think I just needed reassurance I wasn't making a poor choice. I have never done this parenting gig before, choices are hard .

Thanks mamas
Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good grief. Do they really think his manhood is determined at barely 2 and dictated by his personal choice in toys and cuddlies . I have never encouraged "male" toys of any variety here and my 4 yo is construction and truck obsessed. His plays pirate on his playset and whacks the trees into submission with a stick. He also occassionally pushes a doll and stroller to look like mommy. I think the "maleness" is coded in there and emerges as it should when it should. Sheesh. I think he's just fine. In fact I'd be proud he's "soft" enough to snuggle a lovey; someday we hope he'll be that way with his wife and isn't it great he'll have had practice?
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would cause me HUGE issues and I don't know that I'd let my son even be around them that much if they couldn't keep their comments in check. Those kind of comments create insecurity and cause kids to question themselves early on. Since it's your DH's family, I'd start with him and tell him how you feel and that you hope he'll handle it. I wonder what they'd say about my DD? She does loved stuffed animals, and sort of likes dolls. Her faves beyond stuffed animals are a collection of scale model police cruisers, dinosaurs, tractors and dump trucks. She also loves all things creepy like those icky feeling toy frogs and lizards. She does not play dress up and does not care for any of the typical girly things like my first DD did. If somebody told her she couldn't play with something or that I was turning her into a boy...I'd be flaming mad.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, that is a common feeling. One that is dumb in my opinion. I have a home daycare and I can't tell you all the things I've heard from parents about girl vs boy stuff. Oh for crying out loud-pink is just a color! How does it dictate one's potential manhood, I'll never know!
But it happens and people judge. Tell them to chill. He will get plenty of this when he gets to school. I raised my boy that colors are colors and toys are toys. Then he went to school.
Pink or purple is a girl color.
Dolls & playhouses are for girls.
Jonah is a girly sounding name.
Whatever! Who taught these kids all this??
Oh, yeah...judgemental relatives and parents with close minded ideas.
Sorry. Venting here!
I think it's great you are letting him be just a kid. I think life would be way better if everyone did that.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Elisha44
Registered Users

I would take a picture of him in one of the tutus holding his piglet and blow it up for a Christmas present!!!

They are being crazy and narrow minded. Enjoy your son and later in life you'll look back and think how silly they were and how happy you made him.