Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:
Red face How to find a daycare + other questions!!

I need some help ladies. We're trying to see if its worth it for me to go back to work after #2 gets here or if I should just stay home. Its a tough call! Let me lay it out for you and see if you can help me sort through it.

I work part time and bring home about $570/mo after medical is taken out and all that.
When #2 gets here, I'll have to move DS into a daycare either in home or a center because the mama that watches him not doesn't have the ability to watch 2 kids at once.
So for #2, the price for dc would be $200/mo (at the mama's house that watches DS now.) I don't know who to call to see how much it would be for DS to go into a dc (he'll be ~2 y/o when he starts). I only work from 8-12 ish M-F and then I pick up DS and we play the rest of the day. How much do dc's usually charge for that?
How do I find some to call and ask for quotes?

Also, something else to consider is that DH's insurance at work doesn't cover preventative care, so no well baby visits, well women yearly exams, nada. So we'll have to put $$ away into his flex spending at work to pay for that. The kids would be on my insurance and it covers everything with co-pays.

So is it even worth it to keep working part time or should I just quit when #2 gets here? Anyway I look at it, I'll probably end up just making enough working part time to cover the dc expenses. What do you think??
TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by SugarBunsWool&More; 01-03-2007 at 08:01 AM.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to find a daycare + other questions!!

Well, daycare really varies from state to state so I say start calling around so you atleast have an idea. Personally I think working 1/2 days would probably be worth it from the insurance aspect. My SIL does that as well and she has 2 kids in daycare (1 at a center, 1 at a home). She pays $100 a week for the one at the center and $75 a week for the one at the home. After ins is taken out she seriously only makes like $200 a month but she doesn't have to worry about doctors visits and the kids get to socialize (as does she). Sems to work for her. If we had insurance issues and my working 1/2 days helped I would do it. I still get to be home for the majority of the time.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalexsmom View Post
Well, daycare really varies from state to state so I say start calling around so you atleast have an idea. Personally I think working 1/2 days would probably be worth it from the insurance aspect. My SIL does that as well and she has 2 kids in daycare (1 at a center, 1 at a home). She pays $100 a week for the one at the center and $75 a week for the one at the home. After ins is taken out she seriously only makes like $200 a month but she doesn't have to worry about doctors visits and the kids get to socialize (as does she). Sems to work for her. If we had insurance issues and my working 1/2 days helped I would do it. I still get to be home for the majority of the time.
That's a good point. I just don't want to end up paying more than I'm bringing home or just breaking even. Bringing home any extra $$ over the cost of dc would be great.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

You can get a list of licensed dc from your local DHR. That's where I started. I then checked into churches that I knew had dc. Just call and ask if they have an opening. (Good ones are usually full around here.) Then ask if they accept part-time and what they consider to be part-time. I would also look into a preschool that might take your DS. Some will take them once he is PL. The one that my DS goes to is preschool until lunch and then dc after that. Some dc's say that part-time is just 3 days a week or less and you pay for the day. Some might say that as long as you pick up by x time that is part-time.

I have dealt with dc since DS was 3 months old. I like the in-home care, but around here it is more expensive. (Also, some dc's will do a discount if you put in more than 1 child.) For DD, I pay $85/week (FT care at a home) and $80/week for DS (Preschool/dc). Good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Thank you Sherri! I'll look into local churches and stuff in my search.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

here are a few thoughts- #1, are your hours flexible? I find that it makes more sense for me to be in the office fewer days but more hours so I dont pay commuting costs and a full day of dc is cheaper than 2 1/2 days.

#2, if you work more hours, do you get a break on your ins? how many more hours? here, you have to work 28h to get full benefits. other companies its only 24h/wk.

is dc subsidized through work? check your local churches, ymca, centers and home providers. I'd be inclined to keep both children at 1 place just b/c its simpler for drop off/pick up purposes and payment etc. also, make sure that the center you use is licensed b/c then you can use dependent flex benefits to pay pretax.

I can tell you that while we certainly can use the $$ I'm working for ins myself. I could learn to be poor but I cant stay w/o health insurance. w/o health ins (GOOD ins) you're only 1 major calamity away from financial ruin.

doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote