Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

DD just fell down the stairs

My 28 month old fell down the stairs about 1 hour ago. She appears to be ok. When I picked her up she had blood in her mouth. But it looks like she bit her tongue and all her teeth and lips appear ok. She has a scuff on her mid forehead and a lump/bruise where her hair mets the forehead. After the initial crying, she calmed down and was quiet and snuggling for 10 minutes or so. She is now up and running. Her pupils look fine and are responding to light. So I wasn't going to rush her off to the ER. I know that I should monitor her for head injury and wake her up every 2 hours through the night. Anything else I should do or monitor? It is getting close to nap time. Do you think I should skip it and keep her awake??

Advertisement

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Re: DD just fell down the stairs

Docs always told me that it is okay for them to sleep you just want to make you you can rouse her every hour or so. They told me sleep is actually good for them! That is how their bodies do a lot of healing.

Sorry about your babe though! Sometimes I think it is harder on moms than it is the kids! to you both!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

My first instinct was was always to run and pick them up when they fell too. But I learned the hard way to NOT do that.

We were on vacation in Orlando, FL 2 years ago and at the time dd#2 was 6 and dd#3 was 2 . dd2 tried to give dd3 a piggy back ride and the fell backwards from sitting on a chest at the end of the bed. dd2's head and the floor compounded dd3's head and she was screaming and so i rushed over and picked her up. hubby yelled whats the matter with her neck. i looked and she was ashen gray, unconsious (sp?) and her head was justhanging. I freaked out!!! I thought forsure she was gone.
I supported her head and carefully laid her down. Calling 911 from a hotel was impossible in a panic, hubby ran to the front counter and they called. She went by ambulance to the er and woke up as they arrived, she was scared to death...so was I!! I have NEVER been so afraid in my life.

They said to never pick them up right away. If she had broken her neck....moving her like I did could have killed her.

I am so glad your baby is ok. I would saybeing up and running around is a very good sign!!! It scares the crap out of me when they fall!!! And I still want to pick them right up!!! hard habit to break!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I know about the spinal issues......took enough lifeguard training as a teenager. I was in the Kitchen and by the time I ran down the stairs I had enough time to assess that she was conscious and moving. So I knew instantly that nothing major was broken. So far she appears to be fine. I just put her down for a nap but I will keep checking on her.

I'm glad your dd was ok......that would have been really scary......

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJwith2girls View Post
Yeah I know about the spinal issues......took enough lifeguard training as a teenager. I was in the Kitchen and by the time I ran down the stairs I had enough time to assess that she was conscious and moving. So I knew instantly that nothing major was broken. So far she appears to be fine. I just put her down for a nap but I will keep checking on her.

I'm glad your dd was ok......that would have been really scary......
I was 2 steps away and totally freaked....I have taken first aid and all...but panic stricken...it flew right out the window!

Kids are pretty resiliant! Thanks, I don't know what I would have done if I would have lost her, every thought imaginable goes through your head in an instant, stuff ya never wanna even think about!!

So glad your dd is good!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote