Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
saveadobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wanting to learn more about and how to EC 10mth DD

Hi everyone!

I have just recently started CD'ing when I stumbled upon the EC threads. I have been reading somethings when I have a few extra min. online but really not sure where to begin. I have a 10mth DD who has been in sposies up until about 3 weeks ago (we still use sposies for naps and at night). She still wakes 3-4 times in the middle of the night for feedings (I know! HA! I was going to try to "break" her of these late night nursings a while ago but then we started to go through a big change with my job that affected her schedule pretty heavily so I didn't want to throw to much big change to her at once...so still up 3-4 times at night to nurse). Anyways....

I'm really not sure if and how to go about EC'ing a 10mth old. At this age, how is EC different then potty training? I'm also curious if I should get her a little potty or if a smaller ring for our toliet is the way to go.

A mama told me a few weeks ago and I thought it was a good idea, to start putting her on the potty when she wakes from naps and other times that I know she may need to go. Is this a good way to get started? Is 10 mth to young for all of this? I have seen some of you mama's do EC from a very young age.

Anyways, any help/advice, etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Married to dh (7-12-2003) , mommy to dd (9-16-08), with #2, due Jan 2014
saveadobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
saveadobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Wanting to learn more about and how to EC 10mth DD

Good morning...where's everyone at?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
ClothClaire
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started to EC at 9 months. I can tell when DD is going poop so I take her to the potty then. She also sits on the potty after waking up in the morning and after naps. That has been our routine now for about 5 weeks and some days are better than others. I bouight her a Safety 1st potty that she uses. Not sure I would recommend because she likes to take out the padded seat and try and put it in her mouth . Also, it says it will fit over a toilet seat, but we have an oval seat and not a round one.

I checked out a book from the library. The book and this forum gave me the confidence to start trying. We do cloth diapers so I love it when she poops on the potty. One less poopy diaper to try and clean.
ClothClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
saveadobe
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much for commenting...I really don't know where to begin. I feel like I should get a small potty but kind of just want to use our toilet with a cover. Really not sure which is the best way to go.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
ClothClaire
Registered Users

My Mood:

Go for the toilet with a cover. If that doesn't work out you can always buy a small potty.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
saveadobe
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's a good way to think about it. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
curiouscanadian
Registered Users

Hi! We just started ECing a couple weeks ago (DS is 11mo), and I've been amazed how quickly he's responded to it. I would start off with offering the potty first thing in the morning and after naps. If you're willing, try some diaper-free time or even just a cloth diaper with no cover. Oh, and change her ASAP whenever she pees or poos so she either doesn't get used to feeling wet, or - maybe in her case - learns how much more comfortable it is to be clean and dry.

I got DS a Baby Bjorn Little Potty, but still mostly end up holding him over the toilet (or sink, if I'm fairly certain it'll just be pee). I think he likes the "cuddle" feeling of having his back against my body and that it helps him relax enough to go. Even when we use the BBLP, I generally wind up sitting on the floor behind him.

Whatever you do, my suggestion would be to try not to stress out about it. I actually knew about ECing early on, but didn't feel I would be able to do it in a relaxed manner, so never started until now. I think of it this way - any "catches" are one less diaper change and one step closer to DS learning how his body works. And any "misses", well, that's what diapers are for!

Good luck!
curiouscanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
saveadobe
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your post, I really appreciate it!
Do you take him right after he wakes up or give him time to actually wake up and then go to the toilet?
Do you make a "cue" sound?
So sit on the toilet behind her...so both her and I would be sitting on the toilet, right?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
curiouscanadian
Registered Users

Usually by the time I get to him, he's mostly awake, so I take him right away, but if he's not interested, I'll nurse him for a bit and then try again. Of course it also depends on how long he's been asleep, how bad he has to go!

I say "psst" to cue him, which for the moment works for both a lot of the time, although I do also say "poop, poop, poop" when he poops, or if he's grunting (which makes it rather obvious!).

If there's room on your toilet, you can sit behind her. I found that worked well at my mom's the other day, but her toilet is more oval than mine is. We usually face the back of the toilet at home. I kind of crouch down and hold him over the toilet...not the most back-friendly position actually. You can find some positioning suggestions here: http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/pottyp...ion=225:14:224
curiouscanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
ClothClaire
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD generally needs about 10 minutes to wake up in the am before she potties. She crys when she wakes up so when she's happier we try the potty. Sometimes she has even had part of her bottle first. After naps we generally go pretty soon.

I don't always make a cue sound, but I do sing potty songs.