Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

Tired of leaking

I Leak.. alot! When my lo nurses on one side both let down and oftern I fill a dispoable pad and then some.. I've always only nursed on one side at a time and usually 20-2 hours before she takes the other. She's 2 1/2 mths now and I'm tired of soaking shirts and blankets and her.... help please!

Advertisement

nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tired of leaking

You can try just nursing on one side for blocks of time, to reduce the amount of your milk production. I also produce a ton of milk. I am down to a 4 hour block - nursing one side for 4 hours, but I still leak a lot. My son is 10 weeks old, too. I never really stopped leaking with my daughter - she weaned at 18 months.

Have you tried the Avent disposable pads? They are, in my opinion, the absolute best. I never, ever leaked through to a shirt unless it wasn't in the right position. Right now, I'm experimenting with cloth pads, but they're not as good as the Avent. But I feel if I'm going to CD, I should use cloth on my breasts, too!
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Chanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel your pain! I one side feed too and that helps some, but I produce so much milk! In the beginning I would leak up to 3 ounces each feed! It will even out eventually though. My son is 10 months now, he nurse 4 times a day and my supply is pretty regulated. I do still leak, just not so much and I still have days where I wake in a puddle.
I tried cloth pads in the beginnning and they did not work for me. I use the Lansinoh pads, they are thin but super absorbent.
Good luck! I hope you can get it under control. I guess though I'd rather have issues with having too much milk than not enough, right?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp block nursing helps.. also honestly the only way I've stopped is pinching my ni99le or applying pressure to my ni99le (when in public) it took a while but the pinching does work for me.. now I really don't leak.. hope that works for you! I hate leaking as well
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Re: Tired of leaking

OOp! I can't believe I said Avent pads. I meant to say Lasinoh pads!! Lasinoh!!! They're thin and super absorbent, like she said. And, they have a pretty large circumference to cover ample bosoms.
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas... all of the Bfing ladies around me marvel at the fact that I produce so much. With my first son I ended up pumping full time..I would pump 5-8 oz from each side!... This time I've been doing everything I can to minimze my milk... but yeah, better to have to much than too little!
nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we did block feeding too and my supply finally regulated and I stopped always leaking at 3 months. You can also try lily pads during the day...they trap the milk so you have to be careful removing them, but they were the only nursing pads I could wear out of the house without fearing my shirt getting wet (I used reusable/washable pads in the house...we went through sooo many it made more sense than disposables).
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
adamsmom
Registered Users
seller

I have a pretty heavy let down too and I find the cloth pads better than the disposables, and I just double up on them. I find I rarely leak through two!
adamsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
missbrit
Registered Users

My Mood:

this was me at 6 weeks. i did block feeding too. i also had over supply and over active let down. it finally slowed down until she hit that growth spurt. i only nurse on one side at each feed now. i still have to use pads for the other side.
missbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Birbitt
Registered Users

I have the same problem, at the LLL meeting last night the leaders suggested that since he's only taking one side per feeding to offer the same side for two feeding in a row, then switch this way my body will produce a little less milk and not let down so forcefully either.