Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy food when dairy free?

I've been dairy free for a month now because my EBF LO can't handle it, & I'm feeling relly discouraged! I want some yummy food, & have no clue what to eat anymore. I'm eating junk; cereal w/ricemilk, ramen w/homemade spices & chopped veggies, pb, oat, banana smoothies...& that seriously makes up the bulk. I don't really have the time to put into making myself lunch everyday, & some nights (like tonight) I'll make Korean food for hubby, & I cn't eat this either because it's too spicy for DS, which means I'll be getting my protien from eggs. Sometimes I just want to !! Anyone have any suggestions? I'm avoiding dairy & spicy/hot foods. I know more protien would help me feel full longer, but I read I should avoid lunchmeats too because they're generally cut on the same machine as cheese.

Advertisement

E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
ecrawfor80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: food when dairy free?

we have basically been dairy free for the past 3 years. I don't even miss it anymore!

Oatmeal for breakfast is super healthy and non-diary. Mash up some bananas in it, add cinnamin and honey and it tastes great, too. Raisins or some brown sugar are also good. I add a scoop of coconut oil for some super good fat for baby's brain.

Lunches are simple here - PB&J, egg salad, tuna salad, black bean dip (mash a can or 2 of black beans, add dried cilantro, salsa, canned or frozen corn and some lemon juice), pasta salad, refried beans with corn chips (heat the canned vegetarian refried beans in a skillet and eat as a dip with salsa). I do nitrate free lunch meat from COSTCO. Also, I love hummis with chips and veggies for lunch.

Dinner- meatloaf
spagetti
tacos
taco salad
roast
mexican casserole (i can get you the recipie if you want it...it's not spicy)
marinaded chicken
BBQ chicken (with mild bbq sauce) in the crock pot is sooo good over some white rice
veggie subs from subway (my fav)
chicken noodle soup (homemade in crock pot)

That's just a few. If you want any specifics or recipies I'd be glad to help. It was really hard for me at first,too.

You also might want to do a search...i think i've seen lots of threads about dairy-free eating.
Blessings to you and your LO, mama.

eta-some recipies from my blog
http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....o-you-eat.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....-thursday.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....wednesday.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....ys-dinner.html
Elizabeth-Wife to my navy man Dan, Homeschooling, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, raw milk drinking, non-vaxing, no TV, co-sleeping mama to six beautiful blessings. (I didn't know I was crunchy until I wrote this siggy)

Last edited by ecrawfor80; 07-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
ecrawfor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrawfor80 View Post
we have basically been dairy free for the past 3 years. I don't even miss it anymore!

Oatmeal for breakfast is super healthy and non-diary. Mash up some bananas in it, add cinnamin and honey and it tastes great, too. Raisins or some brown sugar are also good. I add a scoop of coconut oil for some super good fat for baby's brain.

Lunches are simple here - PB&J, egg salad, tuna salad, black bean dip (mash a can or 2 of black beans, add dried cilantro, salsa, canned or frozen corn and some lemon juice), pasta salad, refried beans with corn chips (heat the canned vegetarian refried beans in a skillet and eat as a dip with salsa). I do nitrate free lunch meat from COSTCO. Also, I love hummis with chips and veggies for lunch.

Dinner- meatloaf
spagetti
tacos
taco salad
roast
mexican casserole (i can get you the recipie if you want it...it's not spicy)
marinaded chicken
BBQ chicken (with mild bbq sauce) in the crock pot is sooo good over some white rice
veggie subs from subway (my fav)
chicken noodle soup (homemade in crock pot)

That's just a few. If you want any specifics or recipies I'd be glad to help. It was really hard for me at first,too.

You also might want to do a search...i think i've seen lots of threads about dairy-free eating.
Blessings to you and your LO, mama.

eta-some recipies from my blog
http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....o-you-eat.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....-thursday.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....wednesday.html

http://hewhobeganagoodwork.blogspot....ys-dinner.html
Thanks so much the all the suggestions mama, I appreciate it. I just made myself some BLT pasta w/a hardboiled egg & some olives for dinner. lol.
I'll have to give the bbq chicken breasts a try!
E-2.1.14
Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
ecrawfor80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope it works out! We're having that tomorrow actually.

4 chicken breasts
1 chopped up onion
1 chopped up bell pepper
1 large bottle of BBQ sauce
1 can of pineapple with juice

Pour all into crockpot...cook all day. Eat over white rice for dinner!
Elizabeth-Wife to my navy man Dan, Homeschooling, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, raw milk drinking, non-vaxing, no TV, co-sleeping mama to six beautiful blessings. (I didn't know I was crunchy until I wrote this siggy)
ecrawfor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

we're dairy free too, and i just want to point out, if youre watching hidden dairy too, be sure to check the junk food youre eating, that stuff is in everything!

ds is almost 22 months, and we can now handle some hidden dairy, like in soy cheese, but even if he has too much of that it wreaks havoc on his stomach and stuff.

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you cook at all? If you search for dairy free recipes, I'm sure you could find tons of stuff, or if you're willing to try some wheat free/dairy free recipes, check out the book "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster (maybe see if your library has it?) or go to the Living Without magazine's website. Oh, also health food stores like Whole Foods will have recipes on their sites sans dairy.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2002 View Post
we're dairy free too, and i just want to point out, if youre watching hidden dairy too, be sure to check the junk food youre eating, that stuff is in everything!

ds is almost 22 months, and we can now handle some hidden dairy, like in soy cheese, but even if he has too much of that it wreaks havoc on his stomach and stuff.
Oh yes, I follow vegan food list for cereals & such.
E-2.1.14
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
Do you cook at all? If you search for dairy free recipes, I'm sure you could find tons of stuff, or if you're willing to try some wheat free/dairy free recipes, check out the book "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster (maybe see if your library has it?) or go to the Living Without magazine's website. Oh, also health food stores like Whole Foods will have recipes on their sites sans dairy.
oh I definately cook. I just like to cook for my hubby, which is generally too spicy for the baby. I guess he'll just hve to deal w/more Americn recipes for now. Thnks for the tips!
E-2.1.14
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are dairy free as well. DS is starting to be able to take some dairy and he's 18 months now. We couldn't even do the boxed meals cause it had hidden dairy in them. It's hard but you just have to watch everything. There is a thread on here that has many different ideas and many of them call for no dairy. Here is the link to it. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9445 Try looking it up. It's helped me alot! Plus they are normally super cheap
Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

what about soy for some things?