Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #21
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: food when dairy free?

A good easy chicken recipe is:

marinade in Italian dressing
Grill until almost done
chop some basil and tomatoes, top the chicken while it is on the grill for the last few minutes. ( I put the basil directly on the chicken and the tomatoes on top of that.)

Advertisement

The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs

Last edited by ClothDiaperMePlease; 07-28-2009 at 10:26 AM.
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #22
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I meant to offer you a BIG hug! I currently am: dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, rice, nut, egg, fish and soy free. It SUCKS big time! (my little one is actually on a feeding tube and nursing and still having issues)
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #23
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolio11 View Post
Sounds great! And the lettuce didn't get too wilty or taste off? I've just never thought of lettuce with warm pasta! I still have to look for my mayo recipe for you though... I've never made it- just held onto the recipe! Also, just to warn you, many dairy-allergic people are also egg allergic!
Nope! ugh. I guess I should test the eggs then. Luckily I can eat pb! lol.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
jesr
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to send your way. We are just starting to go dairy free to see if that helps DS1'a allergies and mood swings. We are hopeful, today is day 2.
Jessica - SAHM to Ethan, Aug. 2005 and Dylan Jan. 2008 Expecting #3 March 2011.
Married to the Love of my Life Keven since Jan. 6 2004 Proud AF Wife
jesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the person who mentioned that often dairy & soy allergies go hand in hand...my 2 yr old DD is allergic to both...violent puking and welts, from Day One EBF 'til now, YIKES!

Here's what we stock in our fridge & pantry, hope it helps:

* sunflower butter (Yum, DH likes it better than pb!)
* Skippy Natural peanut butter is soy-free...most pbs have soy!
* I make "No-Knead Bread" every other day...google it...easy to fit into any routine, even working...most over the counter breads have soybean oil, soy flour, &/or soy lecithin. For softer crust, remove lid sooner then recipe says to.
* Hummus
* carrots and other veggies I enjoy raw
* Coconut oil for cooking, baking, & making delicious popcorn (OLD-TIME movie theater kind!) (every margerine I can find has soy)
* Ramen noodles (I don't use the salt & chemical-filled flavor packs!!!!!!!)
* Rice, pasta, and/or noodles can be boiled in chicken or beef broth (watch ingredients in the beef broths...) for better taste and health. I prefer the Pacific Natural Foods chicken broth...Swanson's smells like roadkill to me)
* Carr water crackers (most crackers have soy)
* Breadsticks made with OLIVE OIL, not soybean
* A lot of imported from Italy products are made with Palm oil instead of soy, so check those out
* Progresso Panko bread crumbs for breading chicken cutlets (fried in OLIVE OIL)...a great thing to keep in the fridge for lunches...some brands have dairy in the panko
* Barilla PLUS pasta...to get more protein
* Calcium-fortified Orange juice...to get the calcium you may be missing without dairy...my pediatrician swears by one serving every day for dairy-allergic kids
*It's summer...for protein, grill some strip steaks marinated in beer or wine and spices (not soy sauce) or some chicken marinated in rice vinegar and OJ (careful about Italian dressing as PP mentioned...a lot of dressings have soybean oil or dairy ingreds for some reason)

Eggs are a FINE source of protein! Make a frittatta with anything left over in the fridge!

Make yourself a batch of pasta salad with the Barilla Plus...bowtie pasta with olive oil, a very few olives (salty!), canned chopped tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder...great to have for snacking.

About the spicy foods...unless your EBF baby has already shown an aversion to spicy foods, you might be just fine. I ate tons of spicy Vietnamese food, Indian food, Sriracha sauce, and Jump Up And Kiss Me hot sauce during pregnancy and while nursing for a year with no problems whatsoever. If you had it while pregnant, your child is probably used to it already. Same thing with garlicky foods.

lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #26
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesr View Post
Just wanted to send your way. We are just starting to go dairy free to see if that helps DS1'a allergies and mood swings. We are hopeful, today is day 2.
remember it can take 2 weeks to clear his system
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PS: Most places (including wALmART!) that I see lunch meat slicing machines...they have an entirely seperate machine for cheese and it is clearly labeled as such, because of dairy allergies.
You could ask at the deli counter!
But I think it is the law.

lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck mama!! Hope you have some dairy free recipes stockpiled. It would have been helpful to do that before starting. I'm looking for some myself still, or some converted ones. It's almost difficult to find, with everything I'm trying to avoid. But it's worth it if you see a positive change in your lo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesr View Post
E-2.1.14
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoth View Post
I second the person who mentioned that often dairy & soy allergies go hand in hand...my 2 yr old DD is allergic to both...violent puking and welts, from Day One EBF 'til now, YIKES!

Here's what we stock in our fridge & pantry, hope it helps:

* sunflower butter (Yum, DH likes it better than pb!)
* Skippy Natural peanut butter is soy-free...most pbs have soy!
* I make "No-Knead Bread" every other day...google it...easy to fit into any routine, even working...most over the counter breads have soybean oil, soy flour, &/or soy lecithin. For softer crust, remove lid sooner then recipe says to.
* Hummus
* carrots and other veggies I enjoy raw
* Coconut oil for cooking, baking, & making delicious popcorn (OLD-TIME movie theater kind!) (every margerine I can find has soy)
* Ramen noodles (I don't use the salt & chemical-filled flavor packs!!!!!!!)
* Rice, pasta, and/or noodles can be boiled in chicken or beef broth (watch ingredients in the beef broths...) for better taste and health. I prefer the Pacific Natural Foods chicken broth...Swanson's smells like roadkill to me)
* Carr water crackers (most crackers have soy)
* Breadsticks made with OLIVE OIL, not soybean
* A lot of imported from Italy products are made with Palm oil instead of soy, so check those out
* Progresso Panko bread crumbs for breading chicken cutlets (fried in OLIVE OIL)...a great thing to keep in the fridge for lunches...some brands have dairy in the panko
* Barilla PLUS pasta...to get more protein
* Calcium-fortified Orange juice...to get the calcium you may be missing without dairy...my pediatrician swears by one serving every day for dairy-allergic kids
*It's summer...for protein, grill some strip steaks marinated in beer or wine and spices (not soy sauce) or some chicken marinated in rice vinegar and OJ (careful about Italian dressing as PP mentioned...a lot of dressings have soybean oil or dairy ingreds for some reason)

Eggs are a FINE source of protein! Make a frittatta with anything left over in the fridge!

Make yourself a batch of pasta salad with the Barilla Plus...bowtie pasta with olive oil, a very few olives (salty!), canned chopped tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder...great to have for snacking.

About the spicy foods...unless your EBF baby has already shown an aversion to spicy foods, you might be just fine. I ate tons of spicy Vietnamese food, Indian food, Sriracha sauce, and Jump Up And Kiss Me hot sauce during pregnancy and while nursing for a year with no problems whatsoever. If you had it while pregnant, your child is probably used to it already. Same thing with garlicky foods.
Thanks Mama! I have the Skippy PB, I'll have to give the sunflower a try. I usually buy the Barilla plus pastas now, though hubby doesn't like them too much. I ate spicy Korean food throughout my pregnancy too, but he just can't stand it. Then I talked to some Korean mamas who were like "OH no!! My baby could stand it if I ate spicy food either, you have to stay away from it the first year." Major bummer, since that's more than half of what I usually cook in our household, and I crave it sometimes! But oh well. :/ Dumb question, but does the amount of wine/beer cook off?? I haven't drank/used any since months before I got preggo. & can I get coconut oil from a store like walmart/kroger?
Thanks!
E-2.1.14
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #30
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yikes mama!! I hope your LO starts to feel better, I can't imagine! (& thanks for the recipe! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
I meant to offer you a BIG hug! I currently am: dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, rice, nut, egg, fish and soy free. It SUCKS big time! (my little one is actually on a feeding tube and nursing and still having issues)
E-2.1.14