Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #51
Koolio11
Registered Users

Re: food when dairy free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoth View Post
OR we just buy Hellmanns/Good Foods CANOLA mayo, which does not have soy.
Lucky you- not available in Canada!
I did try that second recioe though, and it's pretty good- it just makes WAY too much- noww I need ideas for what to make that uses lots of mayo!

Advertisement

Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #52
beanerfuss
Registered Users

My 3rd child had several digestive problems and finally figured out it was both dairy and soy that was causing this. One thing I finally read that was very helpful was that many who can't have soy can't have any legumes at all. No green beans, no hummus, no peanuts or pb, no beans of any kind. Once we got all those out of her diet in addition to the soy, she did fine.

Someone said something about a sub for soy sauce.....I eventually stumbled onto fish sauce and found it to be a satisfactory substitute. Soy free and is basically a salty sauce. I didn't find it to be terribly fishy but I don't dislike fish either.

Someone recently turned me on to chia seeds. Soaking them in warm water turns them to a gel that can be used as a sub for eggs or dairy when baking, the gel is great for thickening soups and gravy, to put in smoothies. Is great fiber, calcium, protein. I recommend doing some reading about it.

I can't have dairy, soy, eggs, corn or wheat and am finding the biggest challenge to be eating out. If I make everything from scratch at home, I eat very well. But really must make things from scratch. I'm also finding it a bit of a challenge too because most subs are quite expensive. Makes the food bills skyrocket if relying on subs. I've learned to make my own rice milk (which saved us about $100/month since we have 3 of us who use it) and I generally do not use the subs very often, just do without. And if anyone has other suggestions about the budget issue and allergen-free eating, I'd love to hear it!
beanerfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #53
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanerfuss View Post
My 3rd child had several digestive problems and finally figured out it was both dairy and soy that was causing this. One thing I finally read that was very helpful was that many who can't have soy can't have any legumes at all. No green beans, no hummus, no peanuts or pb, no beans of any kind. Once we got all those out of her diet in addition to the soy, she did fine.

Someone said something about a sub for soy sauce.....I eventually stumbled onto fish sauce and found it to be a satisfactory substitute. Soy free and is basically a salty sauce. I didn't find it to be terribly fishy but I don't dislike fish either.

Someone recently turned me on to chia seeds. Soaking them in warm water turns them to a gel that can be used as a sub for eggs or dairy when baking, the gel is great for thickening soups and gravy, to put in smoothies. Is great fiber, calcium, protein. I recommend doing some reading about it.

I can't have dairy, soy, eggs, corn or wheat and am finding the biggest challenge to be eating out. If I make everything from scratch at home, I eat very well. But really must make things from scratch. I'm also finding it a bit of a challenge too because most subs are quite expensive. Makes the food bills skyrocket if relying on subs. I've learned to make my own rice milk (which saved us about $100/month since we have 3 of us who use it) and I generally do not use the subs very often, just do without. And if anyone has other suggestions about the budget issue and allergen-free eating, I'd love to hear it!
Yes, eating at home can be done fairly easily even when accomodating multiple allergies. Buying straight subs can often be quite pricey (ie allergy-friendly cereal bars can cost 4 times the cost of regular ones!) but we find out how to make our own! I would love your recipe for rice milk. I've only ever tried once but it was so watery, it wasn't great. We also have 3 who use it but DH and I try to use it only when necessary and let DD have all that she wants. DS will likely need it too when he starts.
I have heard of using flax soaked in water as an egg sub/thickener but hadn't thought of chia. Would chia be more nutritional or just different than flax? Flax is very cheap though and chia isn't. I also find that buying Ener-G or similar egg subs are actually quite cheap compared to real eggs. WHile the box might be $6 or $7, they last for litterally hundreds of eggs in recipes. I'd be curious if your chia sub though might be better than the EnerG in recipes that call for more than 2 eggs... that is where the sub falls flat ( quite literally!)
I like the idea of fish sauce as a soy sauce sub too... I've been hesitant to try much seafood with DD yet because of all her other allergies. I have used Worchesterschire sauce though and it does contain a small amount of anchovy. You can also make your own soy sauce by mixing some brown sugar, broth and vinegar (I think- you can look it up).
We also used to think that DD might have an issue with all legumes but have found in the end that it is just the soy (amongst the legumes- there are still the other allergies) that causes problems. The allergist thinks we shoudl try feeding her soy again. My problem with that is that I have had to take DD to the hospital, unable to breathe and passed out, in anambulance, the two times she has ever had soy and I don't want to have to do that again. We'll have to see!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #54
sweet oblong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

go out and buy yourself some dairy-free dairy. like rice cheese, almond cheese. look into "galaxy foods". they make some yummy dairy free stuff. silk soy milk (like very vanilla!) is so delicious and so much higher in protein than rice milk. just eat like you would regularly eat but sub it with vegan yummys.
sweet oblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #55
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet oblong View Post
go out and buy yourself some dairy-free dairy. like rice cheese, almond cheese. look into "galaxy foods". they make some yummy dairy free stuff. silk soy milk (like very vanilla!) is so delicious and so much higher in protein than rice milk. just eat like you would regularly eat but sub it with vegan yummys.
Yes but soy subs don't work for most of us on here who have LOs with soy issues too... and need to be very careful with rice subs like cheese since they often have casein in it. Nutritional yeast can be used to make a dairy-free, soy-free cheese sub much easier.

BTW, beanerfuss, if you see this, I'd still love your homemade rice milk recipe!