Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
when to pack bag for hospital?

i am 27 weeks pregnant, i went into labor at 25 weeks with my first ds and was sent home on bedrest. with my second ds i went into labor at 30.5 weeks and was in the hospital for 5 weeks on bedrest. i didn't have a bag ready the second time and people were ending up having to bring stuff to me constantly. would it be a good idea to go ahead and have a bag ready to go in the next couple weeks, or would that seem silly?

Advertisement

myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: when to pack bag for hospital?

I had my bag ready at 34 weeks, and it was a good thing b/c I went into labor at 34.5 weeks! It's totally not silly! It is the last thing you want to worry about when D-day comes. And it makes is soooo nice just having it packed and ready to go. I'd pack it tonight.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
momof4
Registered Users
seller

FWIW, I say go for it; what have you got to lose to be ready early? Hope this one sticks around till you're full term!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

the night you go into labor? well, i had it partly pack before then but i finished the majority of it that night (i was a bit over 39 weeks). of course my labor was slow so it wasn't that big of a rush to get it done - i just started once i was sure i was in labor.

however, i'll probably try to do a bit better the next time around.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
quarli
Registered Users
seller

I had mine packed at 35 weeks with my first DS and went another 4.5 weeks.

This time around with the twins I knew I would go early, and after a 3day stay in L&D at 29 weeks, I packed my bag when I got home....I went 32weeks and 1 day when they were born, and it was much easier having everything with me.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, with DJ, my water broke when I was 34.5 weeks. I went to the hospital but I didn't think there was any way I was really in labor so I didn't take anything with me. We only lived less than 2 miles from the hospital so I wound up sending dh home to get my pillow and some Sprite (the hospital had some generic lemon/lime soda ) but otherwise, I didn't really need anything...we did wind up staying for a few days but they gave me everything I needed. MIL wound up bringing a couple of outfits and blankets for DJ. This time, I'm delivering at a hospital across town so I keep saying I need to pack a bag but I don't know what to pack. I have a nursing nightgown and a couple of pairs of pajamas that I wouldn't mind taking, but I'm wearing them now so I can't really pack them. For clothes to wear home, I've got plenty of tops but only a couple of pairs of pants/shorts so I can't pack those. And I suppose I should pick up extras on my toiletries but I always forget when I'm at the store and I'm sure the hospital would give me those too so why bother. I figure when I decide it's time, I'll grab whatever's clean as far as laundry, my pillow, and some Sprite we stocked up on just for that occasion, and go. I guess I'm different from most people though...
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
smugsmilz
Registered Users

37 weeks here and still havent packed....I really should get on this....
smugsmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol, so i guess the answer to come up with is whenever it feels right to you? with ds#2 and a 5 weeks hospital stay i ended up needing full size toiletries (the hospital i had both 1 & 2 ds at only has samples and not always...), didn't need clothes during the stay but after i did. maybe i'll wait a couple more weeks...i dunno though. i just don't want to end up having to rush b/c of labor (like if i were to go into labor early, that's a need for rushing...if i end up being able to hold off until at least week 36 it won't be) and end up w/o something i felt i NEEDED.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I think I wanted mine packed (with my first one) at around 30-35 weeks. I think I started at 30 and then the bag sat there until 39 weeks. I looked at it and realized I didn't have time for this and packed it that day - that night my water broke, LOL. I think in your position I'd start packing it now. I'll probably start packing mine at 30 weeks if I don't experience any PTL or anything.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama. i've been coming to that conclusion, i just don't want to risk not being ready for a hospital stay.