Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Awww man... DS is FTT

Sooo, we went to the pedi's today. Wasn't as bad as I thought - she didn't really push vax'ing on us except she thinks he "needs" the tetenus. Anyway, he's fallen even more down the chart. Or even farther below it I should say. He weighed 19 and half pounds (with a BP plush on LOL) and was 28 and half inches. So now he's officially failure to thrive and we've got to start getting more calories into him. She gave me a prescription for Pediasure and wants me to go get on WIC since its so expensive. BUT I can use something else from a heath food store or the Carnation morning shakes or whatever so we'll probably do that.

Anyway, it just sucks because without the weight and muscle mass, he's not going to get far physically or gain much more strength. We think though that he uses up a lot of extra energy having to pull himself around everywhere. Because I know the kid eats. Luckily the pedi believes me... I've got some dirty comments from other people lately. I can't help it if the boy is naturally skinny!

Sorry, I know I'm totally babbling so I'll stop now.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
A'smommy
Registered Users

Re: Awww man... DS is FTT

mama.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Camden has been FTT since birth (seriously!). He has had a lot of other issues associate with it...and other medical issues in general.

But, a good suggestion (if he doesn't have any allergies) are to add butter, mayo, oil, etc. to everything he eats. It sounds gross, but it should help. (Cam has allergies, so we can't do that!) The carnation instant breakfast shakes are an awesome way to help. Mix one of those up, and he'll LOVE them, I bet. Walmart also has knock-off brand pediasure that you can buy. The carnation shakes actually taste better.

I actually have a "case" with 6 in it (pediasure) that I can send you. They are the orange flavor. Camden can't have them, because of his allergies, but I bought them before I knew that. They've just been sitting here collecting dust.

Good luck mama! I know what it feels like, PM me if you have any questions or anything. My son has spent a lot of his life on a NG tube...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonite View Post
Camden has been FTT since birth (seriously!). He has had a lot of other issues associate with it...and other medical issues in general.

But, a good suggestion (if he doesn't have any allergies) are to add butter, mayo, oil, etc. to everything he eats. It sounds gross, but it should help. (Cam has allergies, so we can't do that!) The carnation instant breakfast shakes are an awesome way to help. Mix one of those up, and he'll LOVE them, I bet. Walmart also has knock-off brand pediasure that you can buy. The carnation shakes actually taste better.

I actually have a "case" with 6 in it (pediasure) that I can send you. They are the orange flavor. Camden can't have them, because of his allergies, but I bought them before I knew that. They've just been sitting here collecting dust.

Good luck mama! I know what it feels like, PM me if you have any questions or anything. My son has spent a lot of his life on a NG tube...

Yeah, they were saying (even though we're a long way off from that) that if the pedisure/instant breakfast stuff doesn't work then we will have to go the tube route. That kinda scares me.

We picked up some of the Carnation stuff today but we did check out the Pediasure ($10+ for one case!) so if we do wind up getting some I guess I'll definately have to get WIC. Nothing wrong with it or anything, I just hate the people that run ours here - they're RUDE.

Anyway thanks for the offer! Do you think that it be worth it to have a case of that stuff shipped though? They seem pretty heavy.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
masonite
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post

Yeah, they were saying (even though we're a long way off from that) that if the pedisure/instant breakfast stuff doesn't work then we will have to go the tube route. That kinda scares me.

We picked up some of the Carnation stuff today but we did check out the Pediasure ($10+ for one case!) so if we do wind up getting some I guess I'll definately have to get WIC. Nothing wrong with it or anything, I just hate the people that run ours here - they're RUDE.

Anyway thanks for the offer! Do you think that it be worth it to have a case of that stuff shipped though? They seem pretty heavy.

Hopefully you won't have to get an ng tube. Usually that is the last resort, especially with "older" babies like Bram. Seriously though, if you have any questions or need any help, ask me. I'm a pro at this stuff!!

Pediasure is super expensive!! Let me see how much this thing weighs, if it isn't too bad, I have no problem shipping it to you for free. I know how expensive everything is, so I'd be happy to help another mama out!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonite View Post
Hopefully you won't have to get an ng tube. Usually that is the last resort, especially with "older" babies like Bram. Seriously though, if you have any questions or need any help, ask me. I'm a pro at this stuff!!

Pediasure is super expensive!! Let me see how much this thing weighs, if it isn't too bad, I have no problem shipping it to you for free. I know how expensive everything is, so I'd be happy to help another mama out!
Awwww, you are too sweet!!!

And yeah, I'll definately keep you in mind if I ever need any advice. Oh yeah, I actually have some organic olive oil that's just been sitting here (bought it for his dad's ear ache ), would that be good to put in his pasta and stuff like that?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had the weight problem with ds1. Check with your insurance. Since our ped gave us a perscription our insurance covered all the pedisure. They even had a company deliver 2x a month to our door!
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinemama View Post
We had the weight problem with ds1. Check with your insurance. Since our ped gave us a perscription our insurance covered all the pedisure. They even had a company deliver 2x a month to our door!
Really??? She gave us a prescription for it but told us to go apply for WIC to get it. BUT, we have Medicaid for DS since his dad's insurance wouldn't take him. I don't know if Medicaid would do that.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's "medically necessary", WIC or Medicaid should pick up the tab.

My daughter was FTT long ago (she's still very thin but above 5th percentile now) and I started cooking almost everything she ate with butter - chicken, eggs, pasta, all cook up really well in it. She got a lot of ice cream to eat, too, or pudding. Instead of a sandwhich I'd make her thick homemade bread and let her dip it in olive oil and eat pepperoni or another higer fat meat. The Carnation drinks really are a world better then pediasure! *I* even like them lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
masonite
seller

My Mood:

Yep olive oil is great to cook in!! Anywhere you can add butter, oils, fats DO IT.

None of this helped my ds, but he's a special case. He has a lot of medical issues that cause part of his FTT. He's still a peanut.

I have a ton of "high fat" recipes. Let me dig around and see if I can find them. I'd be happy to email them to you. We can't/don't use them, because Camden is allergic to dairy AND soy, and a lot of these recipes don't take that in to account.

Does he drink cows milk??