Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #11
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Awww man... DS is FTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonite View Post
Yep olive oil is great to cook in!! Anywhere you can add butter, oils, fats DO IT.

None of this helped my ds, but he's a special case. He has a lot of medical issues that cause part of his FTT. He's still a peanut.

I have a ton of "high fat" recipes. Let me dig around and see if I can find them. I'd be happy to email them to you. We can't/don't use them, because Camden is allergic to dairy AND soy, and a lot of these recipes don't take that in to account.

Does he drink cows milk??
That would be awesome! And yes, he does drink cow's milk. I prefer to buy soy but they don't always have it at our store.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooh, I forgot!

if you do cow's milk, switch to using heavy cream (it even works in mac n cheese!) in any recipes for him, and half-and-half for things like cereal etc. That made a difference for us right off the bat cuz we do a lot of dairy.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
If it's "medically necessary", WIC or Medicaid should pick up the tab.

My daughter was FTT long ago (she's still very thin but above 5th percentile now) and I started cooking almost everything she ate with butter - chicken, eggs, pasta, all cook up really well in it. She got a lot of ice cream to eat, too, or pudding. Instead of a sandwhich I'd make her thick homemade bread and let her dip it in olive oil and eat pepperoni or another higer fat meat. The Carnation drinks really are a world better then pediasure! *I* even like them lol.
Yeah, I even used to drink them when I was a kid - like 9-11ish. My mom started me on them because I was REALLY picky and underweight too.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
Ooh, I forgot!

if you do cow's milk, switch to using heavy cream (it even works in mac n cheese!) in any recipes for him, and half-and-half for things like cereal etc. That made a difference for us right off the bat cuz we do a lot of dairy.
Ok, thanks! Good idea! I've used it in mac n cheese because that's how Outback makes it but I haven't tried it in anything else.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

That's what I was going to say. If he drinks cows milk, use cream as often as you can.

Also, when you make the shakes, use less milk than it says to, thus make it more calorie packed.

If he wants bread, add butter to it. If he eats PB add an extra thick layer to a sandwich. Just add fat any way you can. He'll do great!

Also, add cheese to anything and everything. If he likes scrambled eggs, make them with butter and shredded cheese.

We can't do a lot of these things because of dairy problems, but you should be able to find a lot of ways to add the extra fat/calories he needs!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #16
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing that I would be concerned with is adding too many bad fats to his diet. I know that I started Thompson on fish oil (which is good fat) and he gained A LOT of weight. Like 3 pounds in a week. I think that you could give him like 3 capsules a day (My DS was taking 1 capsule a day when he gained all the weight) and maybe some flax seed oil and that would be better than the adding butter to everything idea. JMO.

to you for the strength to move through this obstical.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt View Post
One thing that I would be concerned with is adding too many bad fats to his diet. I know that I started Thompson on fish oil (which is good fat) and he gained A LOT of weight. Like 3 pounds in a week. I think that you could give him like 3 capsules a day (My DS was taking 1 capsule a day when he gained all the weight) and maybe some flax seed oil and that would be better than the adding butter to everything idea. JMO.

Oooh, thanks for the idea! I will definately try that!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt View Post

I totally get the good fat v. bad fat thing. But, sometimes FTT have a hard time digesting any fats, so ANY kind of fat you can get them to eat is a good thing, ya know?!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

My DD is small too, not FTT but she has been in the 5th percentile all her life foe both weight and height. But, the girl eats like a PIG! She is just constantly on the go. I swear she runs in her sleep LOL

I make things like grilled cheese, and instead of using butter I use organic olive oil. I add it to my pasta (which I make a lot of). Chicken. Etc..

I also give her really robust meals, like pasta, with sauce and lots of veggies mixed in so I know she is full.

I do more juice than I really should sometimes as well. I just feel she needs the extra calories sometimes, even if they are "empty" I just make sure to buy 100% organic juice ALL the time.

I do choco cows milk AND soy milk as well. She digs it.

Healthy carbs as well (which she loves) taters, whole wheat breads, tortillas, whole wheat crackers.

And, tons of protein. I make her eggs A LOT! And, I mix in cheese, frozen veggies, and chopped up ham or turkey as well.

GL mama!

ETA: Oh, and I ALWAYS make sure she has a snack (that can sit out) ALL DAY LONG that is readily available to her. I have little bowls of apple slices, or carrot sticks, or crackers, right now it is Teddy Grahams LOL, but you know something he can munch on through the day in between meals.

Last edited by OneFabMama; 01-05-2007 at 10:21 AM.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah if he can do pb&j you can put it on toast and butter the toast before adding anything. you can also add cream cheese to the sandwich as well.

hugs to you momma!!!!!!!!!!!!!