Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Awww man... DS is FTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonite View Post
Pediasure is super expensive!! Let me see how much this thing weighs, if it isn't too bad, I have no problem shipping it to you for free. I know how expensive everything is, so I'd be happy to help another mama out!
Try using a flat rate box-everything you can fit in there for 8-9$. Doesn't matter what it weighs as long as it fits in the box.
HTH!

Advertisement

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no flames please.

I had a 17lb 2yr old. Who is now a 30lb 4 yr old. So here's what WORKED. I make no comments on the rights, the wrongs, the good or the bad of it. I am just telling you how we put weight on my kid.

Powdered formula made the biggest difference. We added 2 scoops to his pancake batter, 2 scoops to the goop we dipped french toast in. A scoop to 4oz of expressed breastmilk. We added it to yogurt, we stirred it into ketchup he dipped things in, we added it to oatmel. We put it on his cereal. We stirred it in applesauce. We added it to mashed avado and handed over Fritos to dip with. We mixed it into peanutbutter and spread it on his banana. We added it to juice, we added it to his mayo on sadwiches. We were told by 18 months a child who was tube fed formula would process 48-56oz a day. Our doc said it was fine to measure out enough powder to make that much formula and then mix it into anything and everything so that he got up to 56oz worth of the powder in addition to his regular food.
We fed him pb, cashew butter, sunflowerseed spread, gaucamole
We made him a shake every night before bed (yogurt, berries, frozen yogurt, 2-3 scoops of powdered formula,a teaspoon of flax seed oil, and enough ensure/pediasure/boost/whatever to make it the right texture)
good luck momma
Old 01-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #23
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You've gotten tons of suggestions, so I'll just throw out one more: avocado. Lot of calories and lots of GOOD fats.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for all these awesome suggestions. I really, really appreciate them!

We'll have this Buster chubbed up in no time now.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #25
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww. Poor Bram!! Just hang in there, mama. I'm scared they're going to throw the FTT card out on me again when we go for DS' nine month next week. We haven't been since his 6 month and I think he's gained maybe 1 lb since then. But I don't care what they say...he's active and he's burning it off as he's making it. I can totally see in Bram's case that he's probably burning a lot more calories than a normal child his age. I do agree with making the fats you're adding good fats. I'm overweight and I'm always scared they're going to push me into giving DS a bunch of stuff that isn't good for him to make him gain weight, and he'll end up like me.

Are you breastfeeding? If so, are you making sure that your doctor is using a BF growth chart? That may make a bit of a difference. But flax oil and avacados are definitely really good things to use to get his fats up. And the pp suggestion of formula isn't a bad idea, either. I'm wondering if you could use powdered goat's milk the same way... Not sure how many calories are in goat's milk, but it's definitely worth a look if you'd rather not go the formula route. DS will be going on goat's milk when/if he ever weans. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Raw coconut oil too. Great for you!

I agree with adding healthy oils/fats- oils, butters, heavy creams. Any where you can add them. Adding formula seems like a good idea too. Not as much refined sugar as other things, but lots of vitamins, etc.

One other thing, I would push healthy calories. Even if they're doctored to add more calories. Teaching to eat healthy is important. So things like almond butter on whole wheat bread, whole grain pancakes, etc teach healthy eating, even if you've added extra calories for now. Does that make sense?

Praying for you!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Carly! Bram is a lot smaller than he looks in pictures.

Jackson's (9 months) pretty average now (I think, though lots of people tell me he looks teeny) and he was 16lbs 13oz and 27 inches long last we checked about 1.5 months ago.

I'm sorry Bram's having issues with gaining.

I think adding formula to things can work too. I did it with Jackson for a while.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #28
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and Milo's on WIC and Medicaid. I'd see if they wouldn't give it to you, anything you can get for free you should if you need it!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #29
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is under 20 lbs and turned 2 a month ago. She is gaining on a curve now, so we just go for periodic weight checks, but we were at the point where her gastro. wanted to put in an NG tube last April. Dd has half a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast with her milk every day. The Carnation Instant Breakfast has a lot of protein in it; I think having a whole one would max her out on protein. The powder is cheaper than the premixed. And buying the packets of powder at BJs is cheaper for me than buying a can of powder at the grocery store. You can call Carnation to get coupons for it. Also, I think you can call to get Pediasure coupons. I think there are Pedisure and Carnation coupons on Ebay. BJs carries Pedisure for less than the grocery store. It still works out to about $1/can before coupons. And there are store brands of Pedisure that are cheaper. They didn't offer us any coupons for Pedisure, so we never went that route.

Also you can add some cream to a cup of milk. Add olive oil to pasta, etc. And put peanut butter or cream cheese on crackers rather than serving plain crackers.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #30
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, since your Dr wrote you an RX medicaid should cover it, OR you can have your Dr write a "letter" to medicaid stating why its medically necessary & then they will cover it. WIC will also cover it since you have the RX. My niece was on it & it was covered by both.

Our girls were always really low on the chart too so we also used powdered formula for longer than 1yr old. Adding it to other foods sounds like a good idea.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote